Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
"So, after feeling he was not getting the puck in shooting positions, he decided to be more of a creator than shooter"

That's basically the same as saying you decided to quit right after you got fired, isn't it?

I'm sure if he would've just kept playing the same way he always had and said something along the lines of "I've scored everywhere I've been, you guys need to figure out how to get me goals" people would've been very understanding of that approach.

uhhhh no? it's him saying he rarely got the puck in a shooting position.... so to help the team... he tried to be more a playmaker.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Does it really matter? We have Vanek until next season and we don't have to worry about him after that. For now, let's be happy with the points he provides and not complain that he isn't scoring enough goals.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Vanek looks like a completely different player out there this year compares to last. So much faster on his skates and a lot more assertive.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I agree with TaLoN that he has looked better, but I'm still not sure he's a good fit for the Wild style of play.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His double minor last night wasn't exactly timely, either.

He also gave up the puck a couple of times on the PP with unnecessarily risky passes.

He is a flawed player who is useful as long as he is scoring.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
and where all the people with "Heatly 2.0" .... lazy....can't shot ...and so on?

Vanek words "Don't panic" and thats for real.

I've been on the Vanek train since day 1. He's battled injuries, adjustment to new teammates, a new style of play, and a new conference, but to have his production from the 3rd line is so huge. So huge.

Great signing and I can be bashed for that, but if you look at my post track record this is what i've been preaching since day 1.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Vanek has looked a lot better. He definitely has more speed. If Vanek could just cut out the cute passes where he tries try to redirect a pass to one of his teammates and instead hold on to the puck, I think that would really cut down on his turnovers.

J22*

Vanek looks like a completely different player out there this year compares to last. So much faster on his skates and a lot more assertive.

Not really. I'm sure his skating is better, but he isn't doing anything noticeably different. I understand what you're doing though. It's much easier to say that he's playing different than it is to admit you were wrong.

His double minor last night wasn't exactly timely, either.

He also gave up the puck a couple of times on the PP with unnecessarily risky passes.

He is a flawed player who is useful as long as he is scoring.

Vaneks penalty wasn't a "good" penalty but it wasn't near as bad as the penalty Parise took 2 minutes later. Vanek was the only guy on the 2nd PP unit that was even able to hold on to the puck long enough to even attempt a pass.

Oh, and before we forget, Vanek did score the game winning goal last night.

Vanek has looked a lot better. He definitely has more speed. If Vanek could just cut out the cute passes where he tries try to redirect a pass to one of his teammates and instead hold on to the puck, I think that would really cut down on his turnovers.

While fewer turnovers would obviously be better, if you want him to get offense out of some of the guys you're playing him with, you need to be willing to accept some of the chances he takes.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, I certainly don't see a completely different player. He'll be better than last year, but he's not doing anything significantly better. I think he could put up 25 though if he stays healthy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not really. I'm sure his skating is better, but he isn't doing anything noticeably different. I understand what you're doing though. It's much easier to say that he's playing different than it is to admit you were wrong.

Vaneks penalty wasn't a "good" penalty but it wasn't near as bad as the penalty Parise took 2 minutes later. Vanek was the only guy on the 2nd PP unit that was even able to hold on to the puck long enough to even attempt a pass.

Oh, and before we forget, Vanek did score the game winning goal last night.

While fewer turnovers would obviously be better, if you want him to get offense out of some of the guys you're playing him with, you need to be willing to accept some of the chances he takes.

Admit I was wrong on what? I wanted Vanek here, I defended Vanek's play all last season...yet I still see a completely different player now.

J22*

Admit I was wrong on what? I wanted Vanek here, I defended Vanek's play all last season...yet I still see a completely different player now.

Amazingly enough, if Vanek continues to produce, we wont be able to find anybody that didn't always believe in him.

Vanek is playing the same game he did last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad