News Article: Thomas Steen facing assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Well any credibility for him is gone after he attempted to sue the Uniter for defamation of character. Idiot does that for himself. So it may not be physical assault. And assault is assault regardless if it was a threat, etc. A threat of assault is 3rd degree assault.

Hopefully Steen didn't do anything stupid. Like the Steens. (Alex is rawr:nod:)

i like you.
i think you're a very intelligent person both on this forum and on other social media where i follow you.
but i really don't know where you're going with this or what mode of transportation it is that you're taking to get there.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
i like you.
i think you're a very intelligent person both on this forum and on other social media where i follow you.
but i really don't know where you're going with this or what mode of transportation it is that you're taking to get there.

Also long as you don't have BDSM fetish, I smell a budding relationship!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
And uttering threats is a criminal offense. Up to 18 months in prison

Except when you are on the ice. ;)

There would be no one left to play in the playoffs if people were getting charged for uttering threats.

An unknown source as quoted by the FP today said Steen allegedly punched the woman ( his girlfriend ) in the face.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Except when you are on the ice. ;)

There would be no one left to play in the playoffs if people were getting charged for uttering threats.

An unknown source as quoted by the FP today said Steen allegedly punched the woman ( his girlfriend ) in the face.

Yet she had no injuries...

Interesting.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Well any credibility for him is gone after he attempted to sue the Uniter for defamation of character. Idiot does that for himself. So it may not be physical assault. And assault is assault regardless if it was a threat, etc. A threat of assault is 3rd degree assault.

Hopefully Steen didn't do anything stupid. Like the Steens. (Alex is rawr:nod:)

Umm... there is no such thing as "3rd degree assault".

Assault is assault. It's defined in s. 265 of the Criminal Code. You are right that assault can be by "acts or gesture" and need not involve physical force. But there are no such things as degrees of assault.

And if you want to get technical...

LadyJet26 said:
And uttering threats is a criminal offense. Up to 18 months in prison

18 months is only by summary conviction. The maximum (if Crown proceeds by indictment) is five years.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I know Thomas Steen personally. He is a really great guy.

I know good people do stupid things but I'd like to know more about what happened before changing my opinion of him.

Unfortunately, good and honourable people are quite capable of doing stupid things. It's quite possible you don't need to change your mind about Steen, but that he's still guilty of this offence.

I've learned to never form an opinion on a matter based on initial media reports. Lets see how this plays out.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Umm... there is no such thing as "3rd degree assault".

Assault is assault. It's defined in s. 265 of the Criminal Code. You are right that assault can be by "acts or gesture" and need not involve physical force. But there are no such things as degrees of assault.

And if you want to get technical...

18 months is only by summary conviction. The maximum (if Crown proceeds by indictment) is five years.

they usually don't even get that. My wife' ex got handsy with her in a mall parking lot and he only got a conditional discharge.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Unfortunately, good and honourable people are quite capable of doing stupid things. It's quite possible you don't need to change your mind about Steen, but that he's still guilty of this offence.

I've learned to never form an opinion on a matter based on initial media reports. Lets see how this plays out.

He may not even be guilty. From what I've read it sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Absolute lame-duck city counsellor. I'd be surprised if he could find the energy to assault anyone, even verbally.

Heck of a player though.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
they usually don't even get that. My wife' ex got handsy with her in a mall parking lot and he only got a conditional discharge.

Yeah. You'll see news reports all the time where they quote "the maximum sentence is...".

But the law states that only the worst offender, in the worse circumstance, gets the maximum. So, if Robert Pickton breaks out of jail then sends you a whole series of detailed letters explaining in excruciating detail how he's going to disembowel you and your family and feed you to his pigs, will get five years for uttering threats.

Everybody else will get much, much less.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Yet she had no injuries...

Interesting.

I'm not commenting on this newspiece. I have no idea what happened in this case, and I have no confidence in the accuracy of reporting in general.

I simply have a question regarding the standard of measurement required to make violence against a woman inappropriate.

Hypothetically, if a punch didn't leave visible swelling, is that ok?

Is a little bruise ok?

Again, I don't know if anything at all happened here, but I'm personally not ok with punching a woman in the face, and I don't think applying a standard of "degree of injury" changes that.

I'm not sure that's what you meant by this though, and I don't mean to put words into your mouth.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm not commenting on this newspiece. I have no idea what happened in this case, and I have no confidence in the accuracy of reporting in general.

I simply have a question regarding the standard of measurement required to make violence against a woman inappropriate.

Is a little bruise ok?

Again, I don't know if anything at all happened here, but I'm personally not ok with punching a woman in the face, and I don't think applying a standard of "degree of injury" changes that.

I'm not sure that's what you meant by this though, and I don't mean to put words into your mouth.

A punch to the face would leave definite marks. Especially an ex NHL player. I would imagine a punch by Steen could break her nose. It would be highly suspicious if she had no marks on her face. When you combine that with the fact that people who hit women, usually have a history of violence against women, and Steen does not, I would lean toward him being innocent.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
A punch to the face would leave definite marks. Especially an ex NHL player. I would imagine a punch by Steen could break her nose. It would be highly suspicious if she had no marks on her face. When you combine that with the fact that people who hit women, usually have a history of violence against women, and Steen does not, I would lean toward him being innocent.

Ok, then.

I can't agree with you, though.

Sounds too much like the bad old days, where if the "little woman" didn't have enough of an injury (or even if she did)...it was just a lover's quarrel.

Sean Connery was famously quoted as saying that a woman needed a slap sometimes, and no, that wasn't a Bond reference.

Your line in the sand is that a punch in the face would leave definite marks. Therefore, a punch can occur, without leaving a mark, and it never actually happened!

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Is a little bruise ok?

Well hitting anybody isn't really ok, woman or otherwise to be completely and totally honest. Yes a punch could happen without leaving marks...but I think it to be very unlikely in this case.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Ok, then.

Sounds too much like the bad old days, where if the "little woman" didn't have enough of an injury (or even if she did)...it was just a lover's quarrel.

Sean Connery was famously quoted as saying that a woman needed a slap sometimes, and no, that wasn't a Bond reference.

Your line in the sand is that a punch in the face would leave definite marks. Therefore, a punch can occur, without leaving a mark, and it never actually happened!

but you don't know if it did happen. A punch to the face typically would leave a mark is what he's saying, and if it was a punch to the face that actually warranted a call to the cops...I imagine that it would in fact need medical attention.

People are typically innocent until they are proven guilty, thats the basis on which we have formed our justice system. Just because some lady said Thomas Steen hit her, does not mean he did. Doesn't mean he didn't, but there really isn't anything point to that he did. He went to the police right away, no injuries, no history of violence there. The guy is worth a fair bit of cash, maybe she's looking for a payout.

You cant sit there and say that it did happen, when you don't know. You can say that he did, but there is absolutely nothing to say that it did.

To be clear, I'm not saying he didn't..I'm just saying that the dots don't line up.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013

Is it ok to punch a woman in the face if you don't leave a mark?

Winnipeg Free Press quoted a source describing a punch to a woman's face with injuries.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
but you don't know if it did happen. A punch to the face typically would leave a mark is what he's saying, and if it was a punch to the face that actually warranted a call to the cops...I imagine that it would in fact need medical attention.

People are typically innocent until they are proven guilty, thats the basis on which we have formed our justice system. Just because some lady said Thomas Steen hit her, does not mean he did. Doesn't mean he didn't, but there really isn't anything point to that he did. He went to the police right away, no injuries, no history of violence there. The guy is worth a fair bit of cash, maybe she's looking for a payout.

You cant sit there and say that it did happen, when you don't know. You can say that he did, but there is absolutely nothing to say that it did.

To be clear, I'm not saying he didn't..I'm just saying that the dots don't line up.

If my daughter's boyfriend punched her in the face, I would call the cops.

If I was sitting in a Boston Pizza, and saw a woman punched in the face, I would call the cops.

I think the idea that the alleged victim was actually an extortionist is unlikely, but the idea that the parties may become legally entangled is a distinct possibility.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Ok, then.

yeah, the line of thinking here is really, really fractured.
it would not be cool if he punched her in the face. it wouldn't be cool if he took a hard swing at her and missed.
it would also be true if she tried to punch him. not cool.

in the end, character assassination or character propping is us, the public, creating our own script to the headline we read. I don't care how nice of a guy Steen is. if he punched her, he should be charged. If she's a liar and nothing happened, then charges should be dropped. it should be investigated and then we should comment accordingly.
to make our own conclusions based on him being a good hockey player or a smiling city councellor is pure pishposhery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad