Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I've come to the conclusion that we can't get to where we want to go with that contract on the books. He's just badly under playing the AAV

I've seen some imo ass backward comments that what we need is a capable 3rd pair so that we can allocate the hard minutes to the shutdown and 3rd pair guy leaving our big money D with the easiest left side minutes so he can dominate.

What you need at 8 AAV is a guy that you can throw out in any situation and think "he's got this" and at 27 years old, Chabot isn't and won't be that guy. JM's comment on the radio clip pumped up Sanderson and said Chabot has to go to the gym. Frankly I wish he hadn't said that because it probably craters his value a bit, but it appears to be the hard love truth
100%. Everybody scrambling to support him so he can play. His job is to be supporting others, carrying teamates. Anymore support and he might as well just sit. He can cheer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What you need is a partner, that’s it.

A dependable 19 minute a night guy on the right side.

That would make a world of difference.

That’s the plan this summer. They’ll go from there.

Martin has talked about how Chabot hasn’t been given a partner his time here, that’s not lost on management and the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
100%. Everybody scrambling to support him so he can play. His job is to be supporting others, carrying teamates. Anymore support and he might as well just sit. He can cheer.
There aren't too many if any who don't think Chabot has underperformed the last two seasons. I think some just realize that it's far easier said than done to dump an 8 mil contract with term, so you are left with only a few options; sell low and pay the price, just hope he becomes a more complete player under a new coach, or support him with the type of linemate he needs to return to form. With the last two options, you can still consider moving on from him in the future, but potentially from a position of more leverage.

All that said, even if you think he's been bad, he's still performed at the level of a top 4 Dman, albeit an overpaid one. He was top 30 in pts/game, so there are clearly area's he can contribute and if you move on from him you're going to need to fill that void. Staying healthy has been an issue, though you can't really do much to prevent broken bones, that's just luck of the draw.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
There aren't too many if any who don't think Chabot has underperformed the last two seasons. I think some just realize that it's far easier said than done to dump an 8 mil contract with term, so you are left with only a few options; sell low and pay the price, just hope he becomes a more complete player under a new coach, or support him with the type of linemate he needs to return to form. With the last two options, you can still consider moving on from him in the future, but potentially from a position of more leverage.

All that said, even if you think he's been bad, he's still performed at the level of a top 4 Dman, albeit an overpaid one. He was top 30 in pts/game, so there are clearly area's he can contribute and if you move on from him you're going to need to fill that void. Staying healthy has been an issue, though you can't really do much to prevent broken bones, that's just luck of the draw.
Sell low or hope.... Maybe a hockey trade involving player(s) that also need a change? One of those trades that both fanbases hate but helps both clubs. I think Staois has been doing alot of work. This summer will see changes. Not selling or buying. High or low return. It will be building.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Matt Nichol might be our best front office addition if he can fix Chabot and Timmy’s bodies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sell low or hope.... Maybe a hockey trade involving player(s) that also need a change? One of those trades that both fanbases hate but helps both clubs. I think Staois has been doing alot of work. This summer will see changes. Not selling or buying. High or low return. It will be building.
I mean, we could make a lateral trade for the sake of making a lateral trade, but that doesn't move the needle unless you get lucky. You're basically just trading hope Chabot rebounds for hope player x rebounds. What happens if you swap Chabot for a Kubalik with term and a bad contract? He had 20 goals and 45 pts last year, people might have seen him as needing a change of scenery to get back to his 30 goals in 68 games level from his rookie year in Chicago. The devil you know vs grass is always greener...

I think Chychrun offers us short term flexibility wrt Chabot, Chabot imo has been the better player, but Chychrun can fill the role if we move on from Chabot. But if he doesn't want to sign, we're left holding the bag, and who knows what kind of contract he'll want, I don't think it will be more than 7 mil x 6 or 7 yrs, but there's risk associated with relying on him.

In the end, if we could sign Chychrun for 5 mil a year, trade Chabot and get back decent futures, and fill the RHD slot with a UFA, that would be great, but reality is more like sign Chychrun for ~7.5, pay to either retain, with futures or take back bad contracts to move Chabot. Meanwhile, moving Chychrun likely does get us some quality futures (albeit less than we initially gave up) and you might be able to get Chabot's career back on track by simply playing him with a suitable partner instead of the string of hasbeens, rookies, and bad fits we've seen whenever he wasn't with Zub or DeMelo.

I wouldn't shut the door on trading Chabot, you never know, another team might see potential, but I think forcing a trade when there isn't one to be made is a bad idea, his value isn't going to get any worse than it is now imo and there are things we can do that will increase the likelyhood that it improves drastically, things that we should be doing regardless (get a freaking defensive minded RHD)

• Wow
Reactions: Loach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Matt Nichol might be our best front office addition if he can fix Chabot and Timmy’s bodies.
don't forget Norris, if we could get back 2021-2022 Norris, that would be a tremendous boost to the team.

Reactions: OD99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hope you get the wake up call when youre a veteran at 8AVV with a letter and the coach tells the world you need to hit the gym
I’m sure he trains hard but maybe he.hasn’t been training the proper way.

don't forget Norris, if we could get back 2021-2022 Norris, that would be a tremendous boost to the team.
I’m not sure how much work he will be able to put in. Interesting that they are biologically to help the healing process, hopefully all approved by the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's also about what you're trying to achieve with your training, they may have asked him to focus on other things in the past, and now they are asking him to focus more on strength. We've seen this in the past with other players too, guys asked to trim down to increase their mobility vs being asked to work on strength.

I’m not sure how much work he will be able to put in. Interesting that they are biologically to help the healing process, hopefully all approved by the league.
I'm not understanding what you mean by this...

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Send him to the Ducks for Fowler and a draft pick. We get cap savings and a defender who's as mid as Chabot but has less term.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hope you get the wake up call when youre a veteran at 8AVV with a letter and the coach tells the world you need to hit the gym

Dude looks so skinny, top to bottom. I know he’s built for endurance but man Chabot is thin.

Remember when EK came back one summer just shredded and totally ready to dominate. Do that Thomas, you’re to skinny bud

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I probably skipped the part where Jacques said he needed to change the way he trains and only got the part where he said he needed to hit the gym so maybe

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm a Chabot fan, but I think Jacques calling him out to hit the weight room is fair game. Chabot is far from the only one - there are a bunch of guys in our core who need to get hungry this off-season in a big way. I know that when you have money it is tempting to spend the summer in Europe with the wife/girlfriend, go to the cottage, etc., but these guys are at a crossroads. Chabot, for instance, is no longer in his early 20s. He's now in his mid to late 20s and has never tasted the playoffs. Drake is 25 - Brady will turn 25 later this year. Time for these guys to shorten up the vacation big time and spend the rest of the time grinding in the gym and slamming nasty green seaweed protein shakes.

And that is the real problem here. Martin should not have had to point a finger at anyone. Chabot isn't some wide-eyed rookie. If he couldn't figure out by now that he needs more strength, then what kind of competitive fire does he have in his belly? And same goes for the other guys on the team, as well. Do we really have to ask guys on their second contracts who have never made the playoffs to spend a few weeks at the worlds to round out their game? Do we really have to wait until a coach is fired (back when we canned DJ) before these guys clue in that they haven't been playing well enough?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
This was great. Says good things about Sandy and Zub. Chabot..here a long time, has some offence, leadership....has to get in shape, learn his job and have somebody help him. Lol. Some people around here are treating him like DJ...just a couple more years, make it perfect him you'll see...the alternatives are worse, there's nothing we can do. Pffft.

Reactions: Alex1234

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
From what Chabot has been saying it sounds like he has.
Honestly, chabot with added strength will be a pretty good player. Needs to work on his pace a bit too.
Hopeful for the improved Chabby next yr
With everything that’s happened this year including the last couple of days you gotta choose chabot over chychrun anyway.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's also about what you're trying to achieve with your training, they may have asked him to focus on other things in the past, and now they are asking him to focus more on strength. We've seen this in the past with other players too, guys asked to trim down to increase their mobility vs being asked to work on strength.

I'm not understanding what you mean by this...
Biologics. Stupid autocorrect

And that is the real problem here. Martin should not have had to point a finger at anyone. Chabot isn't some wide-eyed rookie. If he couldn't figure out by now that he needs more strength, then what kind of competitive fire does he have in his belly? And same goes for the other guys on the team, as well. Do we really have to ask guys on their second contracts who have never made the playoffs to spend a few weeks at the worlds to round out their game? Do we really have to wait until a coach is fired (back when we canned DJ) before these guys clue in that they haven't been playing well enough?
When you are expected to play 28 minutes a night you probably focus your training differently.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
The super offensively minded guys really thrive when they have a stable partner. When Chabot strings together a few games with Zub he starts to look more comfortable and really perform well. Same deal when he was paired with DeMelo in the past. I think getting him a solid defensive defenceman he can play most of the year with is arguably the most important on-ice move of the offseason for us.

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sanderson Tanev
Chabot Zub
Klevin Stetcher
JBD
At least we can sell the idea to whoever we’re looking at of getting to play with Sanderson. That’s gotta be at least a little plus.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We need a 19 minute a night guy to compliment Chabot.

That shouldn’t be difficult to do through trade or UFA, but that has also been the case for the past 5 years.

A guy to play solid reliable hockey for 16:30 ES a night and 2:30 PK a game.

We don’t need a top flight top pairing guy. We need a reliable, meat and potatoes kind of guy, the type who doesn’t get the recognition they usually deserve and flu under the radar.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We need a 19 minute a night guy to compliment Chabot.

That shouldn’t be difficult to do through trade or UFA, but that has also been the case for the past 5 years.

A guy to play solid reliable hockey for 16:30 ES a night and 2:30 PK a game.

We don’t need a top flight top pairing guy. We need a reliable, meat and potatoes kind of guy, the type who doesn’t get the recognition they usually deserve and flu under the radar.

Chabot with Zub the last two years (both bad years overall)

5v5 ~598 mins
54.1% GF
51.45% xGF
53.16% HDCF
with 47% OZ starts.

That's exactly what we need from Chabot, so why not go with that as a regular pair, and see if we can find a suitable partner for Sanderson since he seems less dependant on his partner to mitigate any deficiencies?

Sanderson could probably have played with Peeke and looked great (Boston has snatched up that option), he looked great with Hamonic, obviously looked great with Zub, hell it's not a big sample, but his numbers with JBD even look good.

We already have a great partner option for Chabot, it's probably a lot easier finding a good partner for Sanderson, he makes everything look easy...

Pesce, Tanev, Roy, DeMelo, all would be fine to great alongside Sanderson.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That's exactly what we need from Chabot, so why not go with that as a regular pair, and see if we can find a suitable partner for Sanderson since he seems less dependant on his partner to mitigate any deficiencies?

Sanderson could probably have played with Peeke and looked great (Boston has snatched up that option), he looked great with Hamonic, obviously looked great with Zub, hell it's not a big sample, but his numbers with JBD even look good.
If JBD build some chemistry with Sandy from their UND days, that'd be awesome. Internally solve a problem and I can stop dreaming of both Pesce + DeMelo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If JBD build some chemistry with Sandy from their UND days, that'd be awesome. Internally solve a problem and I can stop dreaming of both Pesce + DeMelo
While the chemistry is probably there, I don't think JBD is ideal, as I'd like a better penalty killer, and ideally someone with size, but as a stop gap, it's something that could have been tried this season.

I get the appeal of Zub with Sanderson, they are very good together, and can take tough mins, that's hard to break up. But I do think finding someone to play with Sanderson is likely much easier, he managed to look good next to Hamonic all last season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m fairly certain Staios’ first choice is Tanev. He brings everything Staios is looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad