Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ya, i'm going tonight too. It'll be interesting to see where he is because when I saw him earlier this year he wasn't ready. I actually figured they'd call up Guennette. He looked good in his stint and is an RHD.

excited to see Bedard play tonight too!!
Guenette is soft too. 0 interest.

What a game from Kleven. Thats what they need as a righty.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot/Chychrun - Pesce/Tanev
Kleven - right handed kleven
JBD

That's a real d core.

Last edited:

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Chabot likely needs to strengthen himself so he can sustain playing thru these soft injuries, a new summer training maybe ? Thoughts?

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Chabot likely needs to strengthen himself so he can sustain playing thru these soft injuries, a new summer training maybe ? Thoughts?
I hope, for chabot, that he'll be able to prep differently for next year.

If all goes well, he'll have a solid partner, a solid pairing in Sanderson and zub to take the lions share of time. If so, he can mentally and physically prepare to be less of a long distance runner, and more of a sprinter.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
I hope, for chabot, that he'll be able to prep differently for next year.

If all goes well, he'll have a solid partner, a solid pairing in Sanderson and zub to take the lions share of time. If so, he can mentally and physically prepare to be less of a long distance runner, and more of a sprinter.
I wouldn't quite say he's 'long distance runner' if he's never really played the full 82 and done the full run

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Which of his injuries are due to the lack of muscle?
He needs to strengthen maybe thru bit more muscle as he does have a slight frame,

But what I was mainly referring to is strengthen his pain tolerance thru a variety of summer training regiments like Yoga, Aerobic exercises and biofeedback so he can Work thru the 82 game grind

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He needs to strengthen maybe thru bit more muscle as he does have a slight frame,

But what I was mainly referring to is strengthen his pain tolerance thru a variety of summer training regiments like Yoga, Aerobic exercises and biofeedback so he can Work thru the 82 game grind
I think typically his pain tolerance has been good ; He has had a few injuries so it could be all taking its toll.

Reactions: DrEasy

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
I think typically his pain tolerance has been good ; He has had a few injuries so it could be all taking its toll.
Idk when I think of a Ironman like Marleau and the pain he had to endure to play those consistent games in a row, even though he maybe wasn't feeling 1000% , feel like Chabots need to find that mental 'Marleau mindset' if that makes sense ... so far I feel like the slightest thing wrong and he's automatically by default ...out for 2 weeks

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Idk when I think of a Ironman like Marleau and the pain he had to endure to play those consistent games in a row, even though he maybe wasn't feeling 1000% , feel like Chabots need to find that mental 'Marleau mindset' if that makes sense ... so far I feel like the slightest thing wrong and he's automatically by default ...out for 2 weeks
I'd much rather have a player sit than play through an injury.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I wouldn't quite say he's 'long distance runner' if he's never really played the full 82 and done the full run
Sorry, I meant more in terms of how he manages himself in-game. He's used to logging a lot of minutes, and plays at a slower pace because of it. Like a long distance runner.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Marleau didn't miss games because he avoided contact, never blocked a shot and was a periphery winger.

If you trust the people who are on the team, Chabot plays through as many injuries as anyone if not more.

Reactions: Dionysus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd prefer Matt Roy to Demelo but I get where you're coming from.
Someone physical and right handed over Branntsrom. Ideally Pesce Tanev or Roy but Demelo is OK too.

He's way too fragile. Gotta change his work out regime for sure.

Reactions: Alex1234

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
An interview with Marc Methot in the Sun. I like Methot. He's not afraid to voice his opinion.

On whether to trade Chabot or Chychrun, he responded
A: “That’s a very difficult decision for (GM Steve) Staios to make. Chabby has got that smooth stride coming out of the zone. The tradeoff, he doesn’t have the same shot Chychun does. Chychrun, I would argue, is probably better defensively, he’s got a bit more strength and he’s got a very good stick when he’s waving the wand around looking to cut off passes. Between (Jake) Sanderson, Chychrun and Chabby, do you need all three of them? Maybe you make a move to bring in a more meat-and-potatoes guy.

“If you asked me who do you move, honestly, I don’t know. I love Chabby. I love his attitude. Chychrun has that big shot. You have to be willing to listen when GMs are calling and they’re curious to see what’s available.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
An interview with Marc Methot in the Sun. I like Methot. He's not afraid to voice his opinion.

A: “That’s a very difficult decision for (GM Steve) Staios to make. Chabby has got that smooth stride coming out of the zone. The tradeoff, he doesn’t have the same shot Chychun does. Chychrun, I would argue, is probably better defensively, he’s got a bit more strength and he’s got a very good stick when he’s waving the wand around looking to cut off passes. Between (Jake) Sanderson, Chychrun and Chabby, do you need all three of them? Maybe you make a move to bring in a more meat-and-potatoes guy.

“If you asked me who do you move, honestly, I don’t know. I love Chabby. I love his attitude. Chychrun has that big shot. You have to be willing to listen when GMs are calling and they’re curious to see what’s available.
Methot is always hedging.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Methot is always hedging.
Its an odd situation. We know we need a good RD and Staois has talked about adding vets. Yet, when the topic of a Chychrun trade and our goaltender situation has come up, he throws cold water on the suggestion and downplays (use a different word if you prefer) the situation.

They play their cards close to their vests. It's going to be an interesting spring and summer and full of speculation I think.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its an odd situation. We know we need a good RD and Staois has talked about adding vets. Yet, when the topic of a Chychrun trade and our goaltender situation has come up, he throws cold water on the suggestion and downplays (use a different word if you prefer) the situation.

They play their cards close to their vests. It's going to be an interesting spring and summer and full of speculation I think.
I mean no one knows what the right call is but we know ones gonna be gone. So why alienate himself if they trade the one he says to keep. Now one guys gone, both don't like him and it looks like he's questioned the GM's decision before we know if he was right or wrong. It's the right answer, both have strengths and weaknesses and both have similar issues. They both struggle with consistentcy and they're both not very good defensively and they both have offensive upside. It just makes you question how Dorion goes after what is almost a carbon copy of the exact same player when they already had it. Just mind bogglingly dumb roster and asset management. Now Staios is stuck in a situation with a diminishing asset that is hard to move that either has very little value in Chychrun or none at all in Chabot. But the fans expectations due to the contracts handed out or assets used to retain the player are way out of wack with the actual value. Staios and Co have inherited an almost impossible situation of a roster while talented is very poorly assembled specially the back end with very few legotimate top 4 d or top 6 prospects. Well they have one and he's gonna replace one of these two guys. Kleven already might be a better fit with what this team is missing. Which makes one of them even more expendable. Ones going to be traded that's for sure.

My guess is it's Chychurn simply because they will get something back. No team is giving up an asset for Chabot with his injury history, inconsistent play and the massive deal he is on.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I mean no one knows what the right call is but we know ones gonna be gone. So why alienate himself if they trade the one he says to keep. Now one guys gone, both don't like him and it looks like he's questioned the GM's decision before we know if he was right or wrong. It's the right answer, both have strengths and weaknesses and both have similar issues. They both struggle with consistentcy and they're both not very good defensively and they both have offensive upside. It just makes you question how Dorion goes after what is almost a carbon copy of the exact same player when they already had it. Just mind bogglingly dumb roster and asset management. Now Staios is stuck in a situation with a diminishing asset that is hard to move that either has very little value in Chychrun or none at all in Chabot. But the fans expectations due to the contracts handed out or assets used to retain the player are way out of wack with the actual value. Staios and Co have inherited an almost impossible situation of a roster while talented is very poorly assembled specially the back end with very few legotimate top 4 d or top 6 prospects. Well they have one and he's gonna replace one of these two guys. Kleven already might be a better fit with what this team is missing. Which makes one of them even more expendable. Ones going to be traded that's for sure.

My guess is it's Chychurn simply because they will get something back. No team is giving up an asset for Chabot with his injury history, inconsistent play and the massive deal he is on.
I can understand why Staois doesn’t say anything, or says things that are confusing that don’t shed much light. There’s likely no benefits to result from him doing so. So, that doesn’t surprise me. I guess I’m just trying read the tea leaves & wondering.

The part that I bolded is also something that I wondered about. It has occurred to me that they must have had some discussions over the deadline period. Yet, a deal was not done. That tends to make me wonder even more about the market for these 2 defenders. And, yes fan expectation is high perhaps without consideration of what has transpired so far & what that might mean (emphasis on the word “might).

This summer is going to interesting and in particular whether we might be able to snag a RD in free agency.

Reactions: bert

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
between the two, I’m keeping Chychrun and trading Chabot. I’m not sure who will return more value (maybe chychrun) but I think he’s the overall better player and Chabot is far too injury prone to be reliable enough to play the meaningful games. Bonus is that he’s been around the longest, if we really want staois and company to break up the country club and send a shock to the system and put the team on notice…then that’s Chabot easily

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I would have moved Chabot last summer

I'm not sure that this
Sanderson Zub
Chychrun Brannstrom
Kleven JBD

With Hamonic as the 7D isn't at least as capable as what we have had this year.

You've got 5 guys that kill penalties. 3 guys that can play on a PP. And you've increased the nasty factor

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I can understand why Staois doesn’t say anything, or says things that are confusing that don’t shed much light. There’s likely no benefits to result from him doing so. So, that doesn’t surprise me. I guess I’m just trying read the tea leaves & wondering.

The part that I bolded is also something that I wondered about. It has occurred to me that they must have had some discussions over the deadline period. Yet, a deal was not done. That tends to make me wonder even more about the market for these 2 defenders. And, yes fan expectation is high perhaps without consideration of what has transpired so far & what that might mean (emphasis on the word “might).

This summer is going to interesting and in particular whether we might be able to snag a RD in free agency.
A lot fans are optimistic. Perhaps this is what is happening now with the expectations on the return for Chychrun?

We have been this way over the last 2 years. Not many were commenting on the fact that Chychrun was more an offensive defensive that was really a LD. The talk centered mostly on have 4 good defensemen versus having two good “pairs”. Many were pumped after the Debrincat trade (the Summer of Pierre) but didn’t talk much about the possibility he’d only be here one year. I remember getting push back about the term I used to describe this (that it wasn’t control for 2 years iirc). I did in both of these cases, but it was met with resistance, so I just stopped talking about eventually.

So, maybe it's just fans being fans again. I suppose there’s no harm in being optimistic. It's only sports after all versus something more important.

Reactions: bert

R2010

May 23, 2011

DJ regularly said Chabot has an unreal pain tolerance and plays through things other players can't...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad