THN Future Watch?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If anyone works for THN here can you please stop Ken "I want hitting out of the game" Campbell to stop writing?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I just found mine from last year, but there's no date in it. It has to be coming up here pretty soon though, because there's that one, then the draft preview issue, and they were about 3 months apart... and I know for a fact I got the latter in the first half of May.

Not that that helps...... but if you have a subscription, it shouldn't be too long :D

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I also stopped my subscription because I it was quicker to buy it at the store than wait for it in the mail.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
subscribers get it like a week before it hits newsstands..

Not this subscriber. Ive had a subscription to THN for a few years now, and its always been behind the newsstand copy. Right now for instance, I still havent received the issue with Tavares on the cover, then they showed the new one with Luongo on the cover last night on TSN.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Have they gotten better with this? Part of the reason why I dropped my subscription was I got tired of seeing the magazine on the newsstand and not getting it in my mailbox for another week afterwards.

Actually I almost did the same...the subscribed because I realized that I don't want the hockey news for news. I want it for the information like comprehensive stats, draft issues, future watch.

You will realize you will miss it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I swear it came out earlier last year and I haven't seen an ad for it in the paper or on the website?:dunno:
It was out early last year (January, I think) and frankly, I thought it was a bad idea. The rankings and many of the write-ups were done before the WJC, or else you would have seen a guy like Staal, Bourdon or Parent a lot higher. If it's out later, and WJC performance is incorporated into the rankings, then I think it makes for a better publication. A decade ago, it was never out until mid-March.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Actually I almost did the same...the subscribed because I realized that I don't want the hockey news for news. I want it for the information like comprehensive stats, draft issues, future watch.

You will realize you will miss it.

Honestly, I don't. I haven't picked up or read an issue in at least a year, if not more. My subscription expired in November of 2005 I think and I really have not looked back. I struggled through it over the lockout, but when the NHL resumed play I began to realize that all the information that I looked for in THN I found sooner online. My own online reading and research has equalled what I asked for from THN and I was able to access it sooner and often find much more comprehensive information online.

The only thing I miss out on are the feature articles, but I really don't miss the magazine. As a writer and a longtime subscriber, I obviously respect their position in the hockey media landscape, but often I wonder how this will be affected as more and more the focus moves online. Certainly there will always be The Hockey News, but when you see established chains of papers cutting back their sports coverage, one has to assume that THN and Transcontinental is also feeling the pinch. I would assume that they have had to change focus to remain competitive against online resources that can provide up-to-the-minute stories for the always eager reader, in fact, I remember seeing some of the changes begin to come into place as I let my subscription run out, but honestly, I haven't felt like I was missing out.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Have they gotten better with this? Part of the reason why I dropped my subscription was I got tired of seeing the magazine on the newsstand and not getting it in my mailbox for another week afterwards.

Hmm, I don't know. I live in Northern Ohio, so most places don't carry THN anyway. But the few times I've seen the "feature" magazines (Future Watch, et al) at stores, it's always been after I have it:dunno:

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Hmm, I don't know. I live in Northern Ohio, so most places don't carry THN anyway. But the few times I've seen the "feature" magazines (Future Watch, et al) at stores, it's always been after I have it:dunno:

That is why I asked. Because two years ago, I was upset that I was paying for a subscription, yet waiting for a magazine. I'm in Nova Scotia. Go figure. It is possible they have gotten better since my subscription ended. I do not know. So I posed the question. Have they gotten better with deliveries?

MacDaddy TLC*

Hopefully they do a better job this year. Last year team's top 10 lists were done in November, they finished it in Dec 2005, but didn't release it until Late February or early March and didn't take into consideration 3/4 of the season and the WJC for the players.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
That is why I asked. Because two years ago, I was upset that I was paying for a subscription, yet waiting for a magazine. I'm in Nova Scotia. Go figure. It is possible they have gotten better since my subscription ended. I do not know. So I posed the question. Have they gotten better with deliveries?

Hmm, I dunno. Maybe your postal service sucks? :) Like I said, I can't really judge since I almost never see it in stores, but the stats and whatnot are never more than about a week old, which is about what you'd expect for a magazine to be compiled, printed, and shipped. As for the Future Watch edition specifically, same deal. I agree with MacDaddy TLC though that it did seem like they were relying a bit on old(er) info. Still a nice piece of reading, however.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
I got the draft preview at Zinio.com, online subscription. Way better than checking every newsstand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad