News Article: THN: Did the Buffalo Sabres fire too many scouts too quickly?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This is such an amazing thought process. I agree completely. Bringing in someone of Futa's credibility would be a great idea.

will he work for nothing for the two years until he is fired?

asking for a terrible owner

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Teams bring in all the scouts pre-draft to build the draft board and debate the rankings.

That obviously didn't happen with the GM that will be heading the draft.

And there aren't a lot of people left to have those conversations with.
They do. But I assuming @Der Jaeger is referring to the season long raw data/notes each scout would have produced. I believe he’s saying that would stay with the team.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They do. But I assuming @Der Jaeger is referring to the season long raw data/notes each scout would have produced. I believe he’s saying that would stay with the team.

And my point is that while they still have the scouting reports, they are in the former GM's system and they will lack the input and discussion with all the scouts that usually goes into building a draft list.

It is only a small piece of what it takes to develop a draft list. And there is a barebones staff to build on the reports they have.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
And my point is that while they still have the scouting reports, they are in the former GM's system and they will lack the input and discussion with all the scouts that usually goes into building a draft list.

It is only a small piece of what it takes to develop a draft list. And there is a barebones staff to build on the reports they have.

The Sabres draft list was already built.

No North American league has played since mid March. The scouting staff had nothing to do but work on draft prep since then until they were fired (about 3 months). Add in the NHL toying with the idea of having an early June draft (that idea was still alive as late as mid/late May before getting scrapped) and there is very little chance the Sabres draft board wasn't already put together. They needed to be ready in case the NHL decided to go ahead with that early June draft.

That completed work would be Sabres property and available to Adams if he wishes to use it.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Sabres draft list was already built.

No North American league has played since mid March. The scouting staff had nothing to do but work on draft prep since then until they were fired (about 3 months). Add in the NHL toying with the idea of having an early June draft (that idea was still alive as late as mid/late May before getting scrapped) and there is very little chance the Sabres draft board wasn't already put together. They needed to be ready in case the NHL decided to go ahead with that early June draft.

That completed work would be Sabres property and available to Adams if he wishes to use it.

If I got a job as a GM with months to the draft, I sure wouldn't want the draft list of the guy who just got fired.

So while there may be a fully fleshed out draft list, which I really doubt as Botterill never talked about having those meetings with his scouting staff, none of those conversations involved the guy that is building the roster and the prospect pipeline moving forward.

If Adams values very different players than Botterill did, that draft list isn't of a whole lot of use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad