News Article: THN: Did the Buffalo Sabres fire too many scouts too quickly?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Did the Buffalo Sabres fire too many scouts too quickly? - TheHockeyNews
The challenge now for Adams is hiring basically an entire scouting department when most NHL are employed already. Could he entice Judd Brackett to join the Sabres as his director of amateur scouting? Brackett would have to be assured that he’d be allowed to do his job without hindrance – a sticking point in Vancouver. Minnesota recently fired co-director of amateur scouting Darren Yopyk and veteran scout Ernie Vargas – so there’s a couple more options.

But you’re talking about assembling an entire team and having them decide on players who all ceased playing games months ago due to the pandemic. What will the scouting department’s philosophy be? It certainly won’t be implemented this year.

He seems to like Jankowski. I don't think it was a mistake to let him go. I hate the Ryan Johnson pick. I don't think the Samuelsson pick is quite as bad, but it could have been better. I don't feel like we got full value for those picks.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Did the Buffalo Sabres fire too many scouts too quickly? - TheHockeyNews
The challenge now for Adams is hiring basically an entire scouting department when most NHL are employed already. Could he entice Judd Brackett to join the Sabres as his director of amateur scouting? Brackett would have to be assured that he’d be allowed to do his job without hindrance a sticking point in Vancouver.

200w.webp

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think you can justify letting them go. Devine, if he's still there, is the biggest con man in history. How this man has gotten through Rolston, Murray, Regeir, Botterill, etc etc, is beyond me. This team hasn't done much right in the last 1o years. We're at our worst in the history of our existence. This is the bottom of the barrel for the Sabres. We're easily in the MacTavish run Edmonton age of our teams existence. Our owners are idiots, and they have resigned our team over to a glorified yes man. I liked some of what Adams said, and I will watch, in my ingrowing indifference, as this team is a joke. We're the worst run team in hockey.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I imagine they will wait to hire until other teams start chopping jobs. I can't stress how much Adams should be on the phone with Futa everyday, promising him the moon. He could be a great stabilizing force for a Gm with no experience and a shrunk scouting dept.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I imagine they will wait to hire until other teams start chopping jobs. I can't stress how much Adams should be on the phone with Futa everyday, promising him the moon. He could be a great stabilizing force for a Gm with no experience and a shrunk scouting dept.

This is such an amazing thought process. I agree completely. Bringing in someone of Futa's credibility would be a great idea.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Here is the part that I am having a hard time squaring away. Why let go of so many amateur scouts before the pre-draft work was done with the new GM?

Other teams aren't going to let amateur scouts go between now and the draft. And even if they do, I would bet that they would sign them to NDAs that extend just beyond the draft.

Maybe they will do the Schoop thing and just create a list from online sources...

Reactions: Chainshot

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Did we pay a lot of money to guys who did not give us value added compared to central scouting? Did our pro scouts have more hits than misses in trades and free agent signings? Did our GM depend on those scouts-pro and amateur in making decisions? Answer those questions with empirical data and we will know as to whether the scouting staff house cleaning was appropriate.

Reactions: jc17

member 311261

Our scouting department has done NOTHING over the last ten years or so. Oloffson is maybe the only bright spot, but given he was 7th rounder and took this long to develop into a major leaguer he was nothing but luck.
A stopped clock is still right twice a day.

Other than the two no-brainers (Eichel and Dahlin), our drafting has probably been the worst in the league. Throwing darts at a dart board full of draft picks would have been equally effective.

Reactions: Blitz

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Here is the part that I am having a hard time squaring away. Why let go of so many amateur scouts before the pre-draft work was done with the new GM?

Other teams aren't going to let amateur scouts go between now and the draft. And even if they do, I would bet that they would sign them to NDAs that extend just beyond the draft.

Maybe they will do the Schoop thing and just create a list from online sources...

the pre draft work is probably still with the team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Did we pay a lot of money to guys who did not give us value added compared to central scouting? Did our pro scouts have more hits than misses in trades and free agent signings? Did our GM depend on those scouts-pro and amateur in making decisions? Answer those questions with empirical data and we will know as to whether the scouting staff house cleaning was appropriate.
Central scouting provides hardly anything.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Central scouting provides hardly anything.
And that differs from our scouting staff how? With salary, benefits, travel and other expenses what did Sabres get for their money? I just don't have an appropriate yardstick to measure. Was it jobs for the old boys and friends or a valuable asset. We hear there was an independent review and that might have shown us something.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Bring back video scouting. Couldn't be any worse than what we got for the last 8 years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
the pre draft work is probably still with the team.

Teams bring in all the scouts pre-draft to build the draft board and debate the rankings.

That obviously didn't happen with the GM that will be heading the draft.

And there aren't a lot of people left to have those conversations with.

member 311261

I recall meeting a Caps scout at a college game in Michigan a few years back. He was pushing 80 years old and definitely looked like he was part of the old boys club.

He took a few notes here and there, but I seriously question the bang for the buck of him being there over and above video scouting combined with good analytics.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Bring back video scouting. Couldn't be any worse than what we got for the last 8 years.
Isn't that really just analytics? I do not get the "video scouting bad" but "analytics good" comments. The analytics are not derived from in person scouting--still I like the idea of real scouts who know what they are doing overseeing the process.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It's a money issue, not a performance one

Exactly! Folks are talking about difficulty in replacing so many in a short period of time.

I believe the plan is not to replace most of them.

Well, not replaced with humans, that is.

I do believe they are purchasing some fancy video review equipment. LOL

member 311261

Typically the measuring stick for our drafting department is to see how their picks do in the NHL. As we know, we've failed miserably on this over the past 10 years or so.

However, as an exercise for someone with way more time on their hands than me, it would be very interesting to see how our lower level picks performed vs their expected outcome.

I.E. If the median trajectory of a 3rd round pick was to be say a 2nd line AHL'er (I don't know what the actual trajectories are), it would be very interesting to see how often our useless scouting departments picks hit or missed the median.

Would anyone be able to figure this out? I'd bet we miss the median WAY more than we hit it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad