This years U17s should be a good one:

Status
Not open for further replies.

carsonbuddy

Jan 15, 2003
AB
Visit site
The pacific team will announce 11 players from BC on Monday and the 23 players from Alberta that will be scouted prior to the November 15 date of entire team selection. It will be then easier to assess the talent in team pacific versus other u17 teams competing in this years event staged in Lethbridge.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
cdnhky1 said:
Overall, I think the 87' age group in Canada is deeper and more talented than the 88' age group of Canadians. It is tough to compete with a group of elite offensive players that includes Crosby, Brule, Bertram, Latendresse, Cogliano and Little.

As far as the 87' Ontario age group is concerned, the only two elite forwards IMO are Cogliano and Little. After that, there is a big drop. There are no 87' Ontario goaltenders who will figure into the plans of Canadian hockey anytime soon. The strength of the 87' Ontario age group is on the blueline with players like McNeil, Staal, Parent, Lamb and Wilson.

As far as the 88' Ontario age group is concered, I don't think there is a forward who is as good as either Cogliano or Little. However, there is a glut of players who are very good and overall the depth at the forward position in Ontario is much greater than the 87' age group. Players like Hughes, Staal, McInerney, McDonough, Azevedo, Armstrong, Leblanc and Lyall are very solid players and much more offensively gifted than most of the 87' forwards from Ontario.

The "d" crop of 88's from Ontario is also very good and may even be better than the 87' group due to its depth. Matt Corrente is, in my opinion, the best of the Ontario dmen in either the 87' or 88' age group. John Degray and James Delory are both big, mobile dmen while Shutron, Ferry and Sciacca are excellent puck movers. Nathan Martine has good size, and while he lacks foot speed and mobility he may be the most intelligent of the 88' dmen in Ontario.

As far as the goaltending position is concerned, Ryan Daniels, Parker Van Buskirk, Mark Packwood and Brian Pitton are all better than Jhase Sniderman and Kyle Gajewski, who played for the Ontario 87's.

cdnhky, I am curious to know what your opinion of James Neal is. From what was reported to me during the Eagles playoff series with St.Mikes, Neal outplayed Cogliano and many are saying that he is the sleeper of the 87 class who will wake up in a very big way with Plymouth this year.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
How can Kessel play on the U-17 team again. he played on U.S. team in
Newfoundland and is an 87 . :dunno:

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
Sorry about Kessel comment, I went and read the 2nd string before the lst.
Why is Kessel not on the U-18 roster? A few top kids at the U-17 are not
on the roster, why??

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Parker Van Buskirk is a solid goalie....I'm a year older then him (87) he's (88) but i've palyed with him or been at a goalie school or even his father's clinics since he was minor novice and i was novice major....he's always been a solid goalie....this past year was his best one IMO having watched his games....playing against him in the high school league here he was solid...Parker and Myself were the two 1st team all star goalies for the two divisions. He works out every day with Rob Maggio along with other camps he does with his dad or other goalie coaches. Over all very good goalie but i've heard he's overrated and sometimes doesnt want to even play any more but is pushed but i couldn't tell you from him just some friends we both have.
One Q however.....will he make Missassuga next yr?

btw- aaron snow and jon sciacca are really strong players, smart, quick and good hands

carsonbuddy

Jan 15, 2003
AB
Visit site
BC U17 team has been picked:
Goalie:
Daniel Spence

Defense:
Karl Alzner
Nolan Julseth-White
Mike Mcdonald
Victor Bartley

Forwards:
Zach Hamill
Ben Maxwell
Brady Calla
Scott Doucet
Mitch Fadden
Robert Skinner

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
cdnhky, I am curious to know what your opinion of James Neal is. From what was reported to me during the Eagles playoff series with St.Mikes, Neal outplayed Cogliano and many are saying that he is the sleeper of the 87 class who will wake up in a very big way with Plymouth this year.

I liked Neal a lot in his draft year and I like him even more now. I had him pegged as an early to mid second rounder in his OHL draft year. I think he has developed more in the last year than any other player taken in the 87' OHL draft. If the draft was held today he is probably a late first rounder.

I think he'll be a great fit in Plymouth next year. Most picks in the fourth to seventh round usually break in on the third or fourth line. However, I think Neal will play on Plymouth's top 2 lines next season and will put up good numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 20-25 goals next season.

He reminds me a little bit of Erie's Ryan O'Marra. I think Neal is a better skater and plays with more bite to his game, however O'Marra is a slightly better finisher.

I saw 2 of the games in the St.Mike's/Bowmanville series. Neal was a force, but I don't think he outplayed Cogliano. Cogliano is noticeable every time he is on the ice and Neal is not at that point yet.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
carsonbuddy said:
BC U17 team has been picked:
Goalie:
Daniel Spence

Defense:
Karl Alzner
Nolan Julseth-White
Mike Mcdonald
Victor Bartley

Forwards:
Zach Hamill
Ben Maxwell
Brady Calla
Scott Doucet
Mitch Fadden
Robert Skinner

Robert Skinner, 5'5 ????? Is this true?

carsonbuddy

Jan 15, 2003
AB
Visit site
With Bakker in AB being highly touted Team Pacific could have a couple of very fast and small forwards. Looking at the size of the rest of the team between the legs skating will be an option for skinner.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Bump.......moosefan...please chime in when you are back from the tourney.

Jiri Tlusty
Jonathan Toews
James Sheppard
Jordan Staal
Jesse Dudas
Joseph Palmer
Leland Irving
Alex Grant
Juuso Puustinen
Zach Hamill
Benjamin Breault
Ryan Flynn