THIS "team" needs a more then minor RETOOL

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I've always worried about the Leafs playing "down" to their opponent's level but the Leafs game tonight was not close to the Ducks' level. Campbell and the Anaheim's lack of finish kept the score respectable.

The Leafs are in a rut for quite some time,and I'm not sure sitting a guy like Marner will do much to get him or the team going, but as a coach, you need to lead by example even if it may be to the team's short-term loss. Line juggling won't make the team defensively conscious all of a sudden, and at the moment the boys are having trouble with the basics. I still believe it starts from there - crisp passes with a purpose and playing proactively should be rewarded; lazy undisciplined penalties should be dealt with strictly. Players should learn that loyalty with the coach is earned and their play should do the talking as opposed to brain-dead post game interviews.

Reactions: lottster14

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
How does our bottom 6 scoring compare to other teams? Im genuinely curious but cant seem to find the data online

Reactions: ACC1224

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
How does our bottom 6 scoring compare to other teams? Im genuinely curious but cant seem to find the data online

I would imagine our bottom 6, or depth scoring, if you want to call that ranks near the top of the league.

We currently are 3 ranked in the NHL, we score 3.41 goals for per game played.

Really, not to be argumentative, but, do you really think scoring is our problem, that we want to question who is scoring and who isn't scoring, when scoring is not really the problem.

We are ranked 5th in goals against per game played at 3.20 goals against per game played, right alongside teams like the Wings and the Sens and the Devils and the Sharks, and, oh yeah, thank goodness for us the PANTHERS.

Droughtof67

Feb 18, 2020
The leafs need a completely new leadership group. Tavares is a great talent, but a terrible captain. I would love to see them move Marner for some real leadership

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I've always worried about the Leafs playing "down" to their opponent's level but the Leafs game tonight was not close to the Ducks' level. Campbell and the Anaheim's lack of finish kept the score respectable.

The Leafs are in a rut for quite some time,and I'm not sure sitting a guy like Marner will do much to get him or the team going, but as a coach, you need to lead by example even if it may be to the team's short-term loss. Line juggling won't make the team defensively conscious all of a sudden, and at the moment the boys are having trouble with the basics. I still believe it starts from there - crisp passes with a purpose and playing proactively should be rewarded; lazy undisciplined penalties should be dealt with strictly. Players should learn that loyalty with the coach is earned and their play should do the talking as opposed to brain-dead post game interviews.
Marner is a tough one. You watch him play and think he played like crap compared to years passed, yet he walks away with a couple points, feels good about himself, rinse / repeat.

Matthews is having a career year with him, but I would almost flip marner back to playing with tavares to see if you can put a spark back together. They’ve both been off, and we know nylander and matthews worked well together in the past.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
its not the stars it's the support cast. This is a downright wacky support cast to put around your star players.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Toronto with all its problems is still 12th in the league in points. What exactly would a retool or whatever you folks are suggesting do exactly?

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Awesome thread. The OP went above and beyond with his brilliant analysis and insight.

The important thing is always to panic....

Relax, it's a process.

It's not a process, every year there are bad teams saying "relax it's a process" and the vast majority never accomplish anything of significance.

Dubas has this team trending in the wrong direction.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
There are no excuses. Every team has injury problems. Every team goes through bad stretches, goaltending, not scoring, etc. We had a pretty good blend of veterans, pluggers and fancy scorers. That has all gone. This team has no chemistry. I would think that the dressing room is a petulant clash of egos. This is all on Dubas and ultimately Shanahan. They should both be gone. A statement has to be made NOW.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There are no excuses. Every team has injury problems. Every team goes through bad stretches, goaltending, not scoring, etc. We had a pretty good blend of veterans, pluggers and fancy scorers. That has all gone. This team has no chemistry. I would think that the dressing room is a petulant clash of egos. This is all on Dubas and ultimately Shanahan. They should both be gone. A statement has to be made NOW.

Barkov has missed 3 games for Florida. Huberdeau, Ekblad, Hoffman, Yandle and Dadonov have not missed any time at all to injuries. How have they had injuries? Show me one ounce of adversity they've gone through. People are out for blood right now but injuries do make a difference. Is it an excuse for how the Leafs play garbage consistently? Nope. But they do matter.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's not a process, every year there are bad teams saying "relax it's a process" and the vast majority never accomplish anything of significance.

Dubas has this team trending in the wrong direction.
OMG. We just rebuilt. We are ahead of schedule. We weren't really supposed to make the playoffs with a mostly rookie team. The kids are all in year 4. Is that a reasonable amount of time to succeed? No of course not.

Reactions: TopCheese

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This team seems like they need their top 2 dmen, and 2 top 9 forwards to come back from injury.

Who woulda thought

Not me. It's not like they're missing any of Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen and Andersen. I still expect them to win without Matthews or Marner or Tavares. I expect them to win without Rielly. Expecting them not to win only missing Johnsson and a rookie (Mikheyev) at forward is sheer madness like one knows nothing about what most of the league deals with every season.

Reactions: hn777 and LeafsRus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad