Post-Game Talk: This team may be hazardous to your health: Jets escape with a 2-1 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It really does come down to goaltending. Montreal is 1st in the EC right now - they were 15th last year. Anaheim is 2nd in the WC right now, 13th last year.

In an 82 game season, hot/cold streaks tend to even out. The 48 game short season will be defined by those streaks. We need Pavs to play like he did last night for the next 33.

This is one thing i've though abotu for sure. Hence the whole "we should be a bubble team, but could end up anywhere this season".

"luck" will have a much greater impact on the outcome of this season

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
There's a really good website that track's the probability of each team making the playoffs. Its updated everyday and it takes every game into account.

Bad News: The Jets have a 13.9% chance of making the playoffs, based on their record today.

Good News: The Jets odds improved by 4.2% last night alone.

When we went on that huge run in December last year, our odds went from 20ish percent to 60%. We need another one of those runs. Now would be a good time.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Winnipeg.html

Well IIRC, that was when Kane started blindly crashing nets and goalies, Wheeler got his angry face, Enstrom was out, and Slater was winning the big draws .... and this is all starting to happen now, so fingers crossed.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well IIRC, that was when Kane started blindly crashing nets and goalies, Wheeler got his angry face, Enstrom was out, and Slater was winning the big draws .... and this is all starting to happen now, so fingers crossed.

Also, it is when Pavelec posted a career best sv% looking at 10 game spans (0.930%)...
Last night also started too look like that, both statistically and also his game (positioning and mental)...

Definitely fingers crossed!

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Going back to the Dennis Beyak talk for a moment here; I find he has been off his game, excitement-wise, when the Jets are on the road. It seems like he needs the crowd cheering to get him excited about a big hit or a Jets offensive opportunity. It's easy to get excited about goals, nice plays and big hits need excitement too.

The last couple of away games have had these instances, especially hits, and Beyak hasn't even mentioned them.

He also never misses an opportunity to mention when two players of the same number are battling for the puck. I'm not complaining, it's just a humourous observation.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets are the final nail in the coffin, apparently:

As uninspired as we look in our downfunks sometimes, Buffalo last night just looked checked out. Lindy's got nothing to complain about though. He's had a great run and will get another shot I'm sure.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Guess the Thread title was absolutely correct and remarkably prophetic.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Going back to the Dennis Beyak talk for a moment here; I find he has been off his game, excitement-wise, when the Jets are on the road. It seems like he needs the crowd cheering to get him excited about a big hit or a Jets offensive opportunity. It's easy to get excited about goals, nice plays and big hits need excitement too.

The last couple of away games have had these instances, especially hits, and Beyak hasn't even mentioned them.

He also never misses an opportunity to mention when two players of the same number are battling for the puck. I'm not complaining, it's just a humourous observation.

The number of times I've heard "... a pair of <insert number here>..." is astounding. He never does miss it. Ever. And it's always 'a pair of', like playing cards.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The number of times I've heard "... a pair of <insert number here>..." is astounding. He never does miss it. Ever. And it's always 'a pair of', like playing cards.

Yep. And don't forget "Tight Turns." He loves that saying too.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Did you all watch the same game? lol, the posts on here - really? best game of the year for some players? Wow! TSN Jets can turn water in to wine.

May I make a polite suggestion - turn off your HD TSN Jets channel for one period next game. I know it does suck but go online and locate an away broadcast. You might be surprised at some the replays and comments they give. Just a thought.

I watched the game on mute because I was watching it on myipad in a loud public place. It was the best game of the year for some players by far.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I unfortunately was on the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver during the game so I only had updates on my phone following here, AIH, twitter and a few other places...
So I decided to watch the game today, just finished:

LLW: They had chemistry of last season, although I don't know about best games other than Wheeler, as a unit it was their best game for sure.
KBA: Kane played dynamite enough to make up for Burmistrov having (IMO) his first bad game of the season (although he was pretty good in the first) and Antropov having difficulties constantly with a bouncing puck.
TJW: Tangradi looked decent, Jokinen looked strongest of the line but still has yet to see lady luck (his scoring chances are higher than last season but he can't seem to win any), Welly wasn't a liability, nor was he awesome, just what you'd expect for a possession 3rd liner.
WST: Slater's strongest overall game for sure, Wright was awesome and Thorburn was Thorburn. I understand liking Thorburn for his toughness and presence in the room, but honestly, if you could get even 80% of those two things, but then have the talent/abilities of Wright or Slater on that line it would overall have a much greater effect.

Hainsey-Bogosian: If all our D were healthy, this would be our second pair... and that's why (if all our D are healthy) our D depth is actually pretty awesome. Definitely great games by both. It was noted on Arctic Ice Hockey that Buffalo's top line didn't get one shot on goal or missed shot attempt in the whole game when on this pair.
Clitsome-Byfuglien: I don't mind Clitsome as a #8... but this pair scares the **** out of me. Clitsome is not on the same planet of ability as Enstrom. Enstrom, please come back soon!
Stuart-Postma: Postma had his scary moments, and he also had the benefits of being who he is... to me he's medium risk and high reward. Stuart IMO has played better this season than last, but man he's gifted more offensive opportunities than the rest of our D, and rarely can he make anything come of it... Oh well, they are both good for a third pair!

OH... PS....
I watched this game from MSG stream (ie: the away commentators ;))

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Team is clearly hazardous to my health.

Woke up and was on the toilet about 10 times, thought that was it but then my body changed direction and have been puking ever since.

Haven't thrown up in years and suddenly after this game I can't stop. FU Jets.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

Woke up and was on the toilet about 10 times, thought that was it but then my body changed direction and have been puking ever since.

Had that about a week and a half ago...hang in there Bro - it only lasts for about 12 hours. :naughty:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
From the vast majority of Sabres fans: Thank you, Winnipeg! Nothing against Ruff, as he was a good guy til the end and used to be a good to very good coach, and he will definitely latch on elsewhere, but it was time for a change for the Sabres.
May you either (a) go on a sick run to the playoffs or (b) NOT do what the sabres have done the past 3 or 4 years: Make a heroic run to 9th or 10th, miss the playoffs, and screw up their draft positioning :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

OMG you're turning into a WALKER!!!!

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Hope you're right man.

Didn't eat for 29 hours...my teammate wasn't able to eat for 36. Violent sickness ended for both of us within 12 hours...gotta watch the dehydration - will make you feel really crumby for a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad