Post-Game Talk: This team may be hazardous to your health: Jets escape with a 2-1 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
OMG you're turning into a WALKER!!!!

Maybe we can get him cast as an extra?

walking_dead_lynk.jpg

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Perhaps you were watching a different game? It was pretty obvious we got some of the seasons top performances from the likes of Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Hainsey, etc. It's unfortunate if you were indeed watching the same game and couldn't see that.
Yes, the Jets beat Buffalo... barely. That's setting the bar rather low.

May I make a polite suggestion - turn off your anti-Winnipeg Jets attitude. I know it does suck but just give it a try, and perhaps watch the game objectively with an open mind. You might be surprised at what you see. Just a thought.

Your Winnipeg Jets: Who last night, Were Fuelled By Passion. That's gotta just piss you off. :)
It's not an "anti-Winnipeg attitude" (I grew up there, and subscribed to NHL GameCentre internet when they returned last season). It's a legitimate concern about Jets' offence (or lack thereof). The last time we scored 3 goals was a 3-2 win over the Panthers on Feb 5. Since then we've scored
  • Feb 7th; 2 goals in a loss to Toronto
  • Feb 9th; 1 goal in a 1-0 win over Ottawa
  • Feb 12th; 2 goals in a loss to Flyers
  • Feb 15th; 1 goal in a loss to Pittsburgh
  • Feb 17th; 2 goals in a loss to Boston
  • Feb 19th; 2 goals in a win over Buffalo
Without breaking "forum decorum", let me just say that "this is unacceptable". Winnipeg is tied with Tampa for 9th in the conference in goals against. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20122013&sort=standingsGoalsAgainst&type=CON But we're 14th (i.e. 2nd last) in goals for. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20122013&sort=standingsGoalsFor&type=CON THAT is why we're 11th in the conference standings today.

People should stop whining about Pavelic/Montoya/Clitsome and turn their attention to our offense (or lack thereof). If you need a shutout or an almost perfect performance from your goalie to win, you're not going to win very many games.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Honestly, I don't really these concerns about offense. Overall, the offense is performing about as well as you could expect given the talent on the roster.

This isn't some offensive juggernaut that can overwhelm teams with firepower. The only way this team is going to win games is by playing solid team defense, getting great goaltending from Pavelec, and being opportunistic in front of goal. Regardless of how bad the opponent was, that was the formula the Jets used to win yesterday, and I hope it's what we see for the rest of the season.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Yes, the Jets beat Buffalo... barely. That's setting the bar rather low.

It's not an "anti-Winnipeg attitude" (I grew up there, and subscribed to NHL GameCentre internet when they returned last season). It's a legitimate concern about Jets' offence (or lack thereof). The last time we scored 3 goals was a 3-2 win over the Panthers on Feb 5. Since then we've scored
  • Feb 7th; 2 goals in a loss to Toronto
  • Feb 9th; 1 goal in a 1-0 win over Ottawa
  • Feb 12th; 2 goals in a loss to Flyers
  • Feb 15th; 1 goal in a loss to Pittsburgh
  • Feb 17th; 2 goals in a loss to Boston
  • Feb 19th; 2 goals in a win over Buffalo
Without breaking "forum decorum", let me just say that "this is unacceptable". Winnipeg is tied with Tampa for 9th in the conference in goals against. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20122013&sort=standingsGoalsAgainst&type=CON But we're 14th (i.e. 2nd last) in goals for. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20122013&sort=standingsGoalsFor&type=CON THAT is why we're 11th in the conference standings today.

People should stop whining about Pavelic/Montoya/Clitsome and turn their attention to our offense (or lack thereof). If you need a shutout or an almost perfect performance from your goalie to win, you're not going to win very many games.

You can frame it that way if you wish. Another way of looking at it is that they've allowed 15 goals over a 7 game stretch; actually, take away Adams EN goal and it's 14, IOW the goaltenders have maintained a 2.00 GAA over that 7 game stretch. Prior to that stretch, the Jets had far and away the worst GAA in the league.

Playing tight defensive hockey and preventing goals is how you maximize a talent-thin roster. That might very well be why you get people "whining" about Pavelec and Montoya, the fact that we absolutely need them playing at the top of their game in order to have a chance at the post-season.

I will say though, Pavs was a beauty last night. That's the exact level of play we know he's capable of, and hope he can sustain for an extended period.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, I don't really these concerns about offense. Overall, the offense is performing about as well as you could expect given the talent on the roster.

This isn't some offensive juggernaut that can overwhelm teams with firepower. The only way this team is going to win games is by playing solid team defense, getting great goaltending from Pavelec, and being opportunistic in front of goal. Regardless of how bad the opponent was, that was the formula the Jets used to win yesterday, and I hope it's what we see for the rest of the season.

I think our goal scoring woes can be attributed to a few cold guys right now. Antro, Welly, Jokinen and Burmistrov all should have a couple more goals and that would put us middle of the pack -- right where we were last year and where we belong.

I still say goaltending has been our biggest problem. The stats suggest it, and watching when and how the goals against have been scored further support that theory.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think our goal scoring woes can be attributed to a few cold guys right now. Antro, Welly, Jokinen and Burmistrov all should have a couple more goals and that would put us middle of the pack -- right where we were last year and where we belong.

I still say goaltending has been our biggest problem. The stats suggest it, and watching when and how the goals against have been scored further support that theory.

Mhmm and Wright and Tangradi will eventually have to score.
Plus I'm sure most of us have noticed that Noel has been sacrificing offence this year due to the biggest problem.
That said, Pav's played beautifully IMO last night.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Plus I'm sure most of us have noticed that Noel has been sacrificing offence this year due to the biggest problem.

We can only hope that this is the start of a hot streak. Unfortunately, I think Noel might have stalled the last Pavs hot streak when he started Montoya in the NYI game.

I will say I was calling for that move, but after how Pavelec struggled after that game, if we could do it again I would have just rolled with Pavs until he had a bad game.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Thats six forwards you guys have named not even including Slater and Thorburn, counting those two you have 8 forwards not scoring, so with Little and Wheeler not exactly tearing it up your offence is basically coming from Ladd and Kane, two forwards and the D, not exactly a winning formula.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thats six forwards you guys have named not even including Slater and Thorburn, counting those two you have 8 forwards not scoring, so with Little and Wheeler not exactly tearing it up your offence is basically coming from Ladd and Kane, two forwards and the D, not exactly a winning formula.

Your comment and what its point is confuses me...

There are some under and over performers, but Jets' haven't had a lot of puck luck going their way. We have the worst % of shot attempts missing the net, and the 4th worst % of those that do hit the net going in. You look at how a lot of these numbers for the under-performers are RIDICULOUSLY different than any point in their career and it becomes clear that its a combo of puck luck and good ol' grabbing your stick too hard. You need to separate "not performing" with "poor luck, but still performing." These are two very distinctly different things.

Problem is that unfortunately in short seasons, luck may not equalize. Look at last season. Terrible teams like TOR and MIN seemed strong at first and LAK looked weak (except with stats and eyetest for those that know what to look for).

Ladd
SOG | SH% | G | SF/60 | OnSH% | P/60
34 | 23.5 | 8 | 29.0 | 9.82 | 2.30
Ladd is geting points at the 2nd highest rate of his life. His shooting percentage is unsustainable but when looking at a sustainable team sh% when he's on the ice, it just means more of his points have gone to goals than assists relative to what's normal for him. He's getting points at a solid top6 rate and it's sustainable.
Little
28 | 10.7 | 3 | 28.9 | 9.01 | 1.43
Little's even strength points are at an all time low, although his overall point production has been fine (50pts/82games pace) due to him getting 3 special team points in only 15 games (1 PPG, 1 PPA and 1 SHA). Mostly the scoring chances when him and Ladd are on the ice have gone Ladd's way.
Wheeler
42 | 9.5 | 4 | 28.9 | 8.49 | 2.38
Wheeler's not tearing it up... he's not dominating the game... Not what I've seen and he's scoring points faster than anyone on our team, faster than 90% of the NHL, and the fastest in this kids career.

Kane
56 | 7.1 | 4 | 31.8 | 7.94 | 1.92
FIFTY-SIX shots! If he had the same shooting percentage as Ladd he'd have 12 goals. His percentages are both low for Kane, but not of any ridiculous proportion. He's actually producing more primary assists a minute than Wheeler did last season, but unfortunately his goal scoring is half his normal rate... partially because he's got a bit lower sh% than normal and partially because Noel's game-plan/system has been to choke offense to improve defense (which hurts speed guys like
Burmistrov
24 | 8.3 | 2 | 25.5 | 7.78 | 1.23
Just like Kane, Burmistrov has percentages going against him a tin bit too. The amount of shots on goal per minute when he's on the ice is a tad low but this will change if he stays on line with a shooter like Kane, Ladd or Wheeler.
Antropov
14 | 7.1 | 1 | 30.4 | 5.94 | 0.96
While Kane, Little, and Burmistov have had a bit of bad luck, here's the first real one. Antropov's personal shooting percentage hasn't dipped below 12% since 2005-06. He normally has high because he's in-front-of-the-net/pick-your-shot-guy; the first bit tends to raise anyone's sh%, even mass shooters (just ask Stamkos), but the second bit makes them subjected to scoring streaks. He's due 1-2 goals in very few shots. Also, the Jets' shooting percentage is ridiculously low when he's on the ice while he's still been creating lots of scoring chances, meaning he's due even more points than just those previously mentioned goals (if luck regresses and he keeps playing the same).

Tangradi
6 | 0.0 | 0 | 23.9 | 9.68 | 0.00
He's a tough guy to read. He's produced well in the AHL but never in the NHL, and he never seems to be on a line that isn't producing... this makes me believe that it's not really luck that's kept him from big points in the NHL but rather skill/style. If he keeps getting 2 shots a game though he's bound to pot a point or two in the next three or four games.
Jokinen
34 | 5.9 | 2 | 29.3 | 4.95 | 0.31
The only "Joke" is people not noticing him having Fehr level luck. How many crossbars/posts has he hit in just 14 games? Believe me, they'll come...
Wellwood
13 | 0.0 | 0 | 24.5 | 6.15 | 0.66
I wouldn't say that his puck luck is as bad as Jokinen's is, because Jokinen has been producing the scoring chances much more consistently... There's no way this will stay this low forever, but **** he needs to shoot a bit more.

In the end we should never use small game sample sizes as "true picture"...
The offense will come... it may not come in time to put this team into playoffs, but that's what happens with short seasons: luck > talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad