This is Goodbye

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I remember this post. Not to open up a can of worms, but before his post got editted/deleted he quit for seemingly political reasons rather than the shitty start. But like, the Cup is as close now as it’s ever been, so like he should maybe come back.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm a member of several forums for several interests (Guitars, Video Game Art, Economics)
This is the only one that hasn't died.

Everything else moved to Slack or Discord which is a shame because I hate live-chats with no archival.

But yeah, you don't need to announce leaving. You can just stop posting.

If you ever feel like re-entering the convo, you can.

Thomas Tatar

He decided to do it for his own reasons and they weren't hockey related. He didn't bail just because we started slow like a fairweather fan.
That’s fair and by no means can I presume why someone chooses to stop following hockey. Gord knows I’ve contemplated it over the years. But, as a long-standing Oilers fan who has suffered like the rest of us, I’m saddened he won’t be able to enjoy some of the history we are now witnessing.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
Bumping this topic to dunk on someone that isnt even here anymore seems utterly pointless. The beginning of the season was incredibly deflating for alot of the fanbase. I still havent given Katz a penny of my money, but it proved impossible for me to stop paying attention.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If he needs time to prioritize hockey then it is good to pull away. It sounds like the oilers took a lot of his time, following them by watching almost every game. It is good as you mature to cut back in how much you watch as priorities change.

If the oil play bad I flip the channel and maybe look at updates to decide if I go back. And don't have to plan my life around the game.

I think it was more about a long time poster explaining why they won't be here as much or not anymore perhaps

Reactions: elmeroil

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Bumping this topic to dunk on someone that isnt even here anymore seems utterly pointless. The beginning of the season was incredibly deflating for alot of the fanbase. I still havent given Katz a penny of my money, but it proved impossible for me to stop paying attention.
Meh … you post on an open fan board for purposes of disowning the team (for whatever reason) and some folks are going to take exception.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Meh … you post on an open fan board for purposes of disowning the team (for whatever reason) and some folks are going to take exception.
This is what I thought. Have nothing against OP and don't dunk on him, but why do that? I thought about all sorts of give up during the DOD. I remember one game, would have been maybe 2012 or so, Oilers were playing Dallas. And I am a busy guy. But I was pumped. I was free, had time and was so excited to watch the game.

Turned it on, game started. Dallas scored twice in the first minute. I shut the TV off. If that didn't end it for me, nothing will. If you want to turn off, all the power to you. To publicly give back your fandom? Makes zero sense to me.

Reactions: Slugman

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This is what I thought. Have nothing against OP and don't dunk on him, but why do that? I thought about all sorts of give up during the DOD. I remember one game, would have been maybe 2012 or so, Oilers were playing Dallas. And I am a busy guy. But I was pumped. I was free, had time and was so excited to watch the game.

Turned it on, game started. Dallas scored twice in the first minute. I shut the TV off. If that didn't end it for me, nothing will. If you want to turn off, all the power to you. To publicly give back your fandom? Makes zero sense to me.
Sports fans can be a weird bunch. They act like they are playing the game themselves. I'm all for passion and I'm all for constructive criticism for players and team play but man, going out of your way to say that you are "done with a team" is so strange to me. It's just sports at the end of the day. It's not a big deal but for some they make it out to be and get too consumed. But when that happens it can be healthy to walk away. Denouncing it so the world can see it though is just silly. Again. It's. Just. Sports. It's just a form of entertainment. lol.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

Those were the days

How about that home game against Buffalo where the fans chanted that they wanted 10 from Buffalo lol

Poor young core.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He decided to do it for his own reasons and they weren't hockey related. He didn't bail just because we started slow like a fairweather fan.
I really don't see why people are up in arms about this. I lurked for several years before joining in 2006. Mowzie was one of my favourite posters from back then. Well thought out posts and lots of humour. What ever his reasons are for his decision the OP for me was just a guy saying goodbye to a community that had meant a lot to him over the years. Why not just take that at face value. If people don't know the poster, this is an easy thread to ignore.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pathetic posts . You don’t need to announce you are leaving and don’t come vs k when the team goes on a heater. It’s just sports grow up lmao
LOL. Really ? Everyone is different and just maybe it is his way of saying good by to some internet friends he has made.

Take a look in the mirror if you want to talk about pathetic. Altho we forgive you as we all have posted dumb shit at times.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Being a fan of most teams can be super frustrating. My 3 teams are the Oilers, Raptors and Blue Jays and I've been lucky enough to watch all 3 win at least one title. Honestly the rest is gravy, the one title I never thought I'd see was the Raptors.

When things got really bad with the Oilers, many of us just kept our expectations really low. There's always ups and downs and of course when they're winning it's the best but the blood is orange and blue forever and I can't fight that!

I was however ready to be done with the NHL after the reffing and obvious favoring of the Knights. Raptors fought through the same thing in 2019 though and that title was even sweeter because of it.

Hopefully Mowzie is still watching somewhere, I bet he is!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Being a fan of most teams can be super frustrating. My 3 teams are the Oilers, Raptors and Blue Jays and I've been lucky enough to watch all 3 win at least one title. Honestly the rest is gravy, the one title I never thought I'd see was the Raptors.

When things got really bad with the Oilers, many of us just kept our expectations really low. There's always ups and downs and of course when they're winning it's the best but the blood is orange and blue forever and I can't fight that!

I was however ready to be done with the NHL after the reffing and obvious favoring of the Knights. Raptors fought through the same thing in 2019 though and that title was even sweeter because of it.

Hopefully Mowzie is still watching somewhere, I bet he is!

Y'know... I dunno, maybe the universe (or TOPPEP) needed to reclaim the energy in Mowzie's fandom as some sort of sacrifice to the hockey gods for 13 game win streaks and other grand things awaiting us?

... just kidding Mowzie, come back any time.

• Haha
Reactions: elmeroil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad