Third round: #1 Halifax vs. #8 Rouyn-Noranda

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Though the first 2 rounds could have been considered "easy", the Moose have not shown any flaws in their game. They are 100% healthy for the first time all year and haven't lost in what seems in ages.

RNH are rolling around pretty good themselves and have a couple dangerous offensive threats.

I think the Moose keep rolling though and the depth will be too much for the Huskies to handle. I think the first game will predict the tone of the series. If Halifax can dominate their opponent in game 1 then I could see this being another sweep, though I do think the Huskies will take 1 game at home.

Moose in 5.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Any ghosts in Rouyns arena? :)

A few storylines here ... First off, Kucherov who was traded by Quebec (they had too) to Rouyn lit it up in game against the Remps with 3 goals and 3 assists, and is 4th in playoff scoring.

The Fournier brothers meet up again... Some quick research shows Stefan has 6 goals and 3 assists (and one hat-trick) against Dillon in 6 career games head-to-head... Dillon took a pretty dirty shot at him after his hat-trick goal at the MC this year too lol... I imagine they're pretty stoked to be playing each other for the final time in their (Q) careers...

Gabriel Desjardins will play Halifax in the playoffs for the 2nd time in as many years... I won't sugar-coat things, I don't like him... Played a very dirty series against us last year in Quebec and was always on Cuzner, deserving (but only happened once) a few different suspensions .... There's also the fact he never produced for Halifax/hit his stride post Mooseheads lol, but regardless, I'd love to play him close and make him uncomtable .... Unfortunately, we have bigger fish to fry...

Kucherov and Andrighetto are probably the best euro tandem in the league, if not Frk and KA... They are hard to keep in check and can fill the net... And who can forget about Dea, with the hot start, cooled off, but still produces at a dangerous clip..

They give up an average of 3 goals per game in these playoffs, but have scored the most times (with a few games up compared to Halifax)..

If it comes down to a run-and-gun series we can do it ... We have equal firepower up front and just like every thought, our depth has been amazing thus far and will wear teams down in a long series...

Halifax in 5.

Last edited:

alexfr

Dec 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
I think the Moose keep the sweep streak going, I think last round was a big emotional series with Desjardins and Kucherov playing against a former team.

I think they come down a bit and Halifax runs the table into the next round

The Moose in 4

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I think the Moose keep the sweep streak going, I think last round was a big emotional series with Desjardins and Kucherov playing against a former team.

I think they come down a bit and Halifax runs the table into the next round

The Moose in 4

You be surprised!;)

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Huskies definitely have the skill to take a game or two from us. This is gonna be a real good test.

2 Tough teams in our way if we want to get to the Mem cup, and that tournament will not be an easy one... (except for when we play Saskatoon). If we can't beat these guys we don't deserve to be there, so Go Moose Go!

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
I'll go with Halifax in 5. It's the same thing I said about round 2, so I may be wrong.

I think I may have to get a ticket to either game 1/2... I'd love to see Sven before he's gone from the league.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
This coming from the guy who predicts the titan for league champs every year.

I think toy got it mixed up!

I predicted the Titan maybe top-5 last year, but it does not mean that I got it wrong all the time.
The fact is that I predicted for one thing that the Titan would remain in Bathurst and there were interested local parties to buy it.

But look at the Huskies:

Defense:
Brisebois/Fournier/O'Brien are as good or better than your top-3
Andrighetto/Dea/Kucherov/Desjardins/St-Cyr/Power are pretty good.

In fact I could say that Kucherov was the best player I saw in the Q this season at the KCI except for Drouin.

They can give your team some solid competition....but in the end I predict the Moose will win.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
For the record chsb, you predicted 315 goals and a top 5 finish for the Titan, you know why people might not take your predictions seriously after awhile.. Ridiculous.

This isn't the Titan thread oddly enough, so let's not talk about that; no need to ridicule chsb because he predicts this to go the distance, just ignore it :) ... If you want to question his predictions, ask him why he thinks Baie-Comeau will have an easier time with Blainville than Halifax will with Rouyn lol ;)

when we look at the on-paper rosters, and the Huskies team defense, Moose should be able to take it in 4-5 ... They have top-end talent like Dea, Kuch and Sven, but it drops off after that. Desjardins, St-Cyr are good complementary players and more than capable of 1st/2nd line roles, but they don't (who does really) have the depth to match-up in 7 games IMO.

The Moose have got a lot of offense from the 3rd and 4th lines, and that's no surprise ... It can kill anyone, and the Moose have the edge on D... Better depth and goaltending, which was a problem for the Huskies, as shown by their 12th placement in GA in the reg season... It's been a bit better in the playoffs, but I like our chances in a run-and-gun series if it gets to that.

Our top 3's are
Brisebois/Fournier/O'Brien
Konrad/Weegar/Lewis

Pretty even in ability. Different roles but similar top-end guys.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Coaching is staked in Rouyn Noranda's favour.. Touringy is a man who almost won the QC Peewee Tourney, a near impossible feat.. If he can lead his sons team to the finals there, he can orchestrate an upset... Team Canada believes that too...

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Coaching is staked in Rouyn Noranda's favour.. Touringy is a man who almost won the QC Peewee Tourney, a near impossible feat.. If he can lead his sons team to the finals there, he can orchestrate an upset... Team Canada believes that too...

Really?

So a guy who "almost" had some success in PeeWee has the edge on the QMJHL coach of the year? :huh:

CODE BLUE! We have an escaped mental patient on the loose!:help:

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Hfx in 4-5. Huskies will score a lot, more than any other team would. But they will bleed goals against. Meanwhile Broisbriand and Baie-Comeau will kill each other in a 6-7 game series hurting whoever win's chances of beating hfx, of which they will have the best.

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
Hey, we like our horns!

As for the series, yeah I'm pretty sure that the Mooseheads will easily win in 4-5 games. The Huskies don't have the necessary depth to compete with the Mooseheads, we can't expect Kucherov or Andrighetto to get 4-5 points every game.

Alos, for most of our games, we have given up the first goal yet always finish strong as the opposition were always gassed in the 3rd due to our speed and style. With Halifax though, I don't think that is going to happen.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
For the record chsb, you predicted 315 goals and a top 5 finish for the Titan, you know why people might not take your predictions seriously after awhile.. Ridiculous.

This isn't the Titan thread oddly enough, so let's not talk about that; no need to ridicule chsb because he predicts this to go the distance, just ignore it :) ... If you want to question his predictions, ask him why he thinks Baie-Comeau will have an easier time with Blainville than Halifax will with Rouyn lol ;)

when we look at the on-paper rosters, and the Huskies team defense, Moose should be able to take it in 4-5 ... They have top-end talent like Dea, Kuch and Sven, but it drops off after that. Desjardins, St-Cyr are good complementary players and more than capable of 1st/2nd line roles, but they don't (who does really) have the depth to match-up in 7 games IMO.

The Moose have got a lot of offense from the 3rd and 4th lines, and that's no surprise ... It can kill anyone, and the Moose have the edge on D... Better depth and goaltending, which was a problem for the Huskies, as shown by their 12th placement in GA in the reg season... It's been a bit better in the playoffs, but I like our chances in a run-and-gun series if it gets to that.

Our top 3's are
Brisebois/Fournier/O'Brien
Konrad/Weegar/Lewis

Pretty even in ability. Different roles but similar top-end guys.

I predited 280 goals + for the Titan...so you can go up to 315 frivolously if you wish , but I can go back to my last 12 years of prediction if you wish and show you that a lot of them were pretty good.

But funnily you say after two paragraphs of downgrading me that it has no bearings in this series.
I expect Kucherov to come up big in this series.

ZombieRegDunlop

Sep 27, 2007
I predited 280 goals + for the Titan...so you can go up to 315 frivolously if you wish , but I can go back to my last 12 years of prediction if you wish and show you that a lot of them were pretty good.

But funnily you say after two paragraphs of downgrading me that it has no bearings in this series.
I expect Kucherov to come up big in this series.

No.....you're the one who went frivolously up to 315:

Now that we know a little more about our new Euros, it is about time to look at what kind of potential the actual lineup could bring for next season.

Goals:
Brennan: I will say similar to Steeves last season, 50 starts, 0.890 and 3.30 gaa.
McDonald: 18 starts, 0.870, 3.75 gaa

Defense:
I expect to be better than last year specially taking into account Clarke's indiscipline last year and Blain's indifference as he wanted to be traded from the season start.
I can see a gaa 3.50 for the Titan next season.
individually:
Sean Girard: 8 goals and 32 assists for 40 points +10
Francois Godin: 5 goals and 35 assists for 40 points +10
Jeremie Fraser: 5 goals and 15 assists for 20 points +2
Olivier Houle: 7 goals and 15 assists for 22 points +/- 0
Samuel Robert: 2 goals and 10 assists for 12 points +10
Nick Egan: 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points
**Alexandre Gosselin: 5 goals and 10 assists for 15 points

** I expect Gosselin to come out strong and move Egan out of his spot and move upward from there on.

Forwards:
Zach O'Brien:55 goals, 55 assists for 110 points
Matthew Bissonnette: 40 goals and 55 assists for 95 points
Brandon Hynes: 50 goals and 50 assists for 100 points
Christophe Lalancette: 30 goals and 50 assists for 80 points
Patrik Zdrahal: 20 goals and 25 assists for 45 points
Adam Zboril: 20 goals and 20 assists for 40 points
Alec Jon Banville: 15 goals and 25 assists for 40 points (on 3rd line)
Etienne Salvail: 15 goals and 15 assists for 30 points (on 3rd line)
Adam Stevens: 10 goals and 20 assists for 30 points (on 3rd line)
Michael Lyle: 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points (on 4th line)
William Cochrane: 10 goals and 15 assists for 25 points (on 4th line)
Carl Marois/Alex Gallant: 10 goals and 15 assists combined for 25 points (on 4th line).

So 40 goals offense from the blueline and 275 goals from our offense = 315 goals.
Although it may sound high, there is no doubt in my mind that the Titan will be a very high scoring team this year by many more players than the 1st line as there is an excellent depth to that team on forward.
So conservative 285 goals to a potential 315 if every player stays healthy.

But there are at least 2-3 3rd liners who can take over if one of the Euros falter on the 2nd line.
Plus the Titan are not done tweaking.

Scoring 290 goals and giving up 238 last season would have meant a top-5 team.
Let's see where this will bring the Titan this season in what promises to be a very exciting one for the fan base.

PS: I also forgot to include Lafontaine on my predictions:
He played 3rd line and scored 25 points last season, so it is far fetched to say 15 goals and 15 assists for him: 30 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad