Beginners: Thinking of finally making the Jump..any advice?

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
So, I have watched hockey for more than half my life, I'm a big fan of the game and I have played for countless hours at the ODR over the last few years. I really am not great and still consider myself a beginner but I have focused mostly on skating but I was able to pot a few against an actual fully suited up goalie last year, which was an amazing feeling! I have such an amazing time and can't really tell you how much Fun I have playing. I look forward to the rinks being open each year more and more and hope for clear cold weather.

I have been thinking that the ODR is great and I have a blast but its so weather dependent that it can really put a downer on plans to play and you hope enough people show up(normally not a problem in my area) but you normally don't get actual goalies. Recently I was asked to take part in actual rink hockey and I had to respond that I wouldn't even know how to put the equipment on...they had a good laugh but the invite was still there. It got me thinking about investing in my own gear and taking that next step. I read all the beer league stories here and it seems like it would be fun to be part of a team again, but it's a little nerve racking to think about doing something you have never done before when most of the players I assume have been doing this for their whole lives. I'm still athletic and in decent shape, my background in sports is soccer and I played competitive football from high-school to semi-pro before finally calling it quits at 25(family), I'm 31 now, 6'1 @ 214lbs and know I'm still a bit on the heavy side I guess when compared to regular hockey players.

So thanks for reading all that...Here is my question, looking for advice from those who are in the same boat or from vets who care to share what they wished they knew when first starting out, obviously I have no dreams of grandeur here lol but I still want to be competitive. Tips on gear for starting out, and even the in-rink etiquette. Football was fun but I do wish that I chose hockey to focus on as a youth.

Much appreciated!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So, I have watched hockey for more than half my life, I'm a big fan of the game and I have played for countless hours at the ODR over the last few years. I really am not great and still consider myself a beginner but I have focused mostly on skating but I was able to pot a few against an actual fully suited up goalie last year, which was an amazing feeling! I have such an amazing time and can't really tell you how much Fun I have playing. I look forward to the rinks being open each year more and more and hope for clear cold weather.

I have been thinking that the ODR is great and I have a blast but its so weather dependent that it can really put a downer on plans to play and you hope enough people show up(normally not a problem in my area) but you normally don't get actual goalies. Recently I was asked to take part in actual rink hockey and I had to respond that I wouldn't even know how to put the equipment on...they had a good laugh but the invite was still there. It got me thinking about investing in my own gear and taking that next step. I read all the beer league stories here and it seems like it would be fun to be part of a team again, but it's a little nerve racking to think about doing something you have never done before when most of the players I assume have been doing this for their whole lives. I'm still athletic and in decent shape, my background in sports is soccer and I played competitive football from high-school to semi-pro before finally calling it quits at 25(family), I'm 31 now, 6'1 @ 214lbs and know I'm still a bit on the heavy side I guess when compared to regular hockey players.

So thanks for reading all that...Here is my question, looking for advice from those who are in the same boat or from vets who care to share what they wished they knew when first starting out, obviously I have no dreams of grandeur here lol but I still want to be competitive. Tips on gear for starting out, and even the in-rink etiquette. Football was fun but I do wish that I chose hockey to focus on as a youth.

Much appreciated!

Take the jump, you likely won't regret it.

I'll give 3 pieces of advice:

1) Try all skater positions. Don't be afraid to be a D-man even if your not the best back-ward skater. Trying them all will give you a quicker appreciation and understanding of the game.

2) If you're going to invest in some equipment, the areas to spend a bit more money are on skates (which I would assume you have skates as you've been playing ODR hockey), gloves, a quality stick (i.e not the lowest price point model), and a comfortable helmet.

3) And don't get discouraged. Even experienced players have games where they make mistakes or don't play up to their normal level. Keep at it you might be surprised how far your skills will develop even in the first 12 months.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Buy used.

Everytime someone walk in the dressing room you have to yell "Gordie"!

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Skate, skate, skate and more skating. Too many novices don't skate enough or improve their skating, bad skating takes you nowhere in a hurry, chasing the puck about all day but never getting there.

Concentrate on being aware of people around you and using/passing the puck. If you don't skate great, you can still be valuable or make plays passing. Don't be one of the guys that can't skate or handle but without fail tries to go coast to coast every time they do touch the puck or only ever shoots it and never ever passes to the guys wide open and in better position.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Take the jump, you likely won't regret it.

I'll give 3 pieces of advice:

1) Try all skater positions. Don't be afraid to be a D-man even if your not the best back-ward skater. Trying them all will give you a quicker appreciation and understanding of the game.

2) If you're going to invest in some equipment, the areas to spend a bit more money are on skates (which I would assume you have skates as you've been playing ODR hockey), gloves, a quality stick (i.e not the lowest price point model), and a comfortable helmet.

3) And don't get discouraged. Even experienced players have games where they make mistakes or don't play up to their normal level. Keep at it you might be surprised how far your skills will develop even in the first 12 months.

I took the sport up at 35 (now in my 50s) and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

re #1 - Trying defense also makes you more diverse and 'employable', as there are plenty of people at the lower levels who can not and will not play D. Also, as mentioned, once you start playing you'll watch the game differently, you'll see things you never noticed before.

re #3 - Can't emphasize that enough. Obviously we took the game up too late to ever be considered 'good' by people who took it up early, were well coached, practiced 5 days a week, etc., but I at least progressed to the point where I could be on the ice with and against some really good players (even a couple of old NHLers!) and not totally embarrass myself. Highlight was when one new guy on our beer league team from Montreal asked me on the bench during a game where I'd played growing up, and I said "I didn't. Grew up in Florida." And he kind of gave me this "oh, really?" look...

Reactions: BruinDust

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I think common sense will get you by just fine in terms of rink etiquette. And a lot of things from other sports translates into how to behave and what to expect. The simplest thing is don't be a dick. Unfortunately not everyone plays by this sentiment, so there may be rare times where you'll have to stand up for your self.

And don't worry, If you play with people and they know you're just starting out, they'll cut you slack if you make a mistake, so go out and have fun.

When I was starting out, I wish youtube was around. I didn't have many resources to learn off of. The library was fine, but there's a difference between reading and seeing something done. But two things come to mind that I wish I knew when I was just starting out.

First, like many above have mentioned, is focus more on my skating, specifically the outside edges. You nail those down and the game becomes that much easier.

Second, I wish I had more instruction on proper stickhandling technique, specifically how the puck should roll off the heel as you move it back and forth.

You can find lots of videos on this on youtube, and practicing improving on this stuff has definitely improved my game even as I get older.

As for equipment. For me the two most important pieces of equipment are the skates and the stick. I'm assuming you have skates since you're playing already, so I'm sure you know how important properly fitting skates are. If you're thinking of getting new skates, it pays to goto hockey store and get properly fitted.

In terms of the stick, IMHO, finding the right flex is key to developing a good shot. The rule of thumb is to use a stick with a flex number that's half your body weight as the starting point, so for example 200lb player should start off using a 100flex stick.

But for me, I think that's on the high end of things. I personally think 40% of body weight should be the starting point for flex and a player should move up or down according according to preference. My reasoning is that I think it's better for a player to have a stick that's a little too whippy than too stiff. If a player can't flex the stick, they can't shoot properly.

I see too many players using sticks that are way too stiff for them, and they wonder why they can't get a decent shot off. That was the case with me, but over the years, I've been moving down lower and lower in flex until now I use a stick flex that's about 1/3 my body weight.

Any way. Hope some of this was helpful. If you find a great bunch of guys to play with, hockey can be awesome.

Cheers

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
One of the biggest mistakes I see beginners/lower level players make is chasing the puck in the D-zone. Stick to your side of the ice and stay with your man. Once one guy starts chasing, the whole thing breaks down. Knowing where you are supposed to be and staying there helps remind everyone else where they are supposed to be, too.

More general advice I can offer is don't be afraid to work on the things you're not good at. Repetition of the things you're already good at makes you look good and feel good, but you're ultimately doing yourself a disservice by not taking yourself outside of your comfort zone. Sure, it might be a little embarrassing if you fall while you are working on stopping on your weak side, but that is the only way to improve.

Lastly, trust the process. No matter what anyone tells you, there is no shortcut to "making up for lost time." Those of us that have played since we were kids have developed our skills through years of repetition and building muscle memory, so don't feel like you have to "catch up" to anyone. Take your time and don't cut corners with the fundamentals, especially with skating. Just like anything else, you'll get out what you put into it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
One of the biggest mistakes I see beginners/lower level players make is chasing the puck in the D-zone. Stick to your side of the ice and stay with your man. Once one guy starts chasing, the whole thing breaks down. Knowing where you are supposed to be and staying there helps remind everyone else where they are supposed to be, too.

Yep, I'd heavily emphasize this. Heck, guys who have been playing for over a decade still do this, and it's really costly. Typically newer players will be put on the wing, it's the least likely to show-off your mistakes defensively. So I'd read some articles / watch some videos on general positioning.

As long as you can roughly play your position properly as a winger, if you're not the best skater and still need to develop puck skills, at least you won't be directly liable for goals against too often and can take some time developing in those areas.

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
remember everyone had to start somewhere, and have fun It's Adult league hockey find a rink that has a E league and start there. Learn to let shit roll off your back cause you'll find more D-Bags in adult hockey than at a jersey shore convention

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
The biggest thing that helped me go from a beginner (one of the worst players on the ice) to being decent is leg strength. Over about 5 years I built up the muscle in my legs. I got faster and stronger. Once you have that strength under you, you will start handling and shooting the puck better. Everything else will just come with practice.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Buy used equipment, ask around, Craigslist, check local sales and shops. Don't buy expensive equipment until you are ready.

And don't lose that attitude. I don't mind playing with beginners, but I hate playing with guys with bad attitudes, regardless of their skill level.

Have fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad