Think JD & Jarmo are in trouble? Porty doesn't sound that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Comment From TheresAlwaysNextYear
How many years are JD and Jarmo under contract (isn't it just one more year)? Should we expect a renewal soon or do you think management will make them sweat a little bit?

Portzline:
At last check, their contracts run through next season, 2016-17. I won't guess on how ownership will handle it. I asked majority owner John P. McConnell only a few questions in the dressing room the other night. When I asked him to evaluate the performance by Davidson and Kekalainen, he pointed to Brandon Saad and Seth Jones as proof that young talented has been accumulated.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think if next year plays out like this year it will have to give them something to think about. But all in all I think their era is far from over.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Why would they be in trouble? I mean the goal isn't to win in Columbus it's to be fan friendly, with nice players and a country club vibe. So far (outside of hiring Torts) they've done a great job with the culture.

Seriously they should be on the hot seat but likely aren't. As long as we aren't picking first everything is fine in CBJ land...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
JD will be here until he retires. If you want change JK is your best option, but JD seems tied at the hip with him, so don't count on that either

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Why would they be in trouble? I mean the goal isn't to win in Columbus it's to be fan friendly, with nice players and a country club vibe. So far (outside of hiring Torts) they've done a great job with the culture.

Seriously they should be on the hot seat but likely aren't. As long as we aren't picking first everything is fine in CBJ land...
Please tell me how they've created a country club atmosphere?

Nick Foligno, Brandon Dubinsky and Boone Jenner are some of the hardest working players this organization has ever had. JK is giving them the reigns this season and he's added two more blue collar, hard working, YOUNG core pieces to the team. On top of filling the prospect with tons of talent and potential.

He's still a "new" GM and he's still gaining experience, but the future of the club is better from the moves hes made.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
He's still a "new" GM and he's still gaining experience, but the future of the club is better from the moves hes made.

The irony is weaving towards Blue Jackets drafting Olli Juolevi next summer. The one prospect who was exposed to the same work-flowing culture Jarmo Kekäläinen established at the Jokerit youth side earlier this decade.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We can't rotate out front offices every 4-5 years. For better or worse, ownership is going to see this plan to fruition. I think the expectations are a better first half of next season. Next year's TDL will be a telling point. Then, I think if the team is still struggling and misses the playoffs in 2018, we will see one (or both) of Jarmo/J.D. gone.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree though, we have to make the playoffs, soon and consistently if they want to stick around after their contracts are renewed.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Please tell me how they've created a country club atmosphere?

Nick Foligno, Brandon Dubinsky and Boone Jenner are some of the hardest working players this organization has ever had. JK is giving them the reigns this season and he's added two more blue collar, hard working, YOUNG core pieces to the team. On top of filling the prospect with tons of talent and potential.

Well they haven't fixed it. Team was out of shape when Torts took over (again I take with a grain of salt because any new coach will say that, but their early season results speak for themselves).

Glad we have a "GM training" program here in Columbus. I'm sure the other 29 teams appreciate the fact that we'll give guys a chance to prove themselves.

I'm not saying both guys need fired but needs to be accountability - everyone knew in the offseason what the team needed (blue line) and the FO did not address that at all. They started a war with our best player over contracts and it blew up in their face. Again we did good getting Seth Jones for him, but by the time we made the trade we were out of the playoffs. They have invested in way too many long-term contracts and got stuck with the worst contract in the NHL because they continually looked for the missing piece. Now we have a poor team (look at the standings) and we'll be taking the ice with most (maybe even all) of the same guys back next season.

In a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs we are still not even average, and now since we have so many contracts we'll get to see the whole thing over again next season. INSANITY - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. it's what the FO expects the fans to buy into next season (again).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well they haven't fixed it. Team was out of shape when Torts took over (again I take with a grain of salt because any new coach will say that, but their early season results speak for themselves).

Glad we have a "GM training" program here in Columbus. I'm sure the other 29 teams appreciate the fact that we'll give guys a chance to prove themselves.

I'm not saying both guys need fired but needs to be accountability - everyone knew in the offseason what the team needed (blue line) and the FO did not address that at all. They started a war with our best player over contracts and it blew up in their face. Again we did good getting Seth Jones for him, but by the time we made the trade we were out of the playoffs. They have invested in way too many long-term contracts and got stuck with the worst contract in the NHL because they continually looked for the missing piece. Now we have a poor team (look at the standings) and we'll be taking the ice with most (maybe even all) of the same guys back next season.

In a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs we are still not even average, and now since we have so many contracts we'll get to see the whole thing over again next season. INSANITY - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. it's what the FO expects the fans to buy into next season (again).
Who would you rather us hire? A guy who has failed and fired from other GM positions? Or someone who has successfully worked his way up the chain and just needs a chance to prove himself? We aren't OSU we're not attracting coaches, FA or GMs by name or culture alone. We're still in the infancy stages trying to build a name around the league.

And for the millionth time, unless you've got a wire tap on Jarmos phone it's impossible to know what he did or didn't try to do or what the offers were.

I for one am happy we waited to acquire our "#1 D" as I don't think we would've been able get anyone near Jones' potential or talent had we made a move in the summer.

Jarmo has been VERY opportunistic acquiring core pieces when it made sense.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Jarmo has been VERY opportunistic acquiring core pieces when it made sense.

I'd rather be good strategically than a good opportunist.

Simply saying if you have a long-term plan/strategy and then go about executing that you are much more likely to be successful than just adding random pieces because it's a good value.

Columbus has always been opportunistic, well before Jarmo and JD. Maybe it's because outside of Hitch ownership never really believed they had the right coach. But they've always added random pieces and rarely did those pieces fit (let's be honest most of the reason we've ever made the playoffs were because as goaltenders having an outstanding year). That should be a good indication that we're not necessarily building something, as they are adding random pieces and hoping it works.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I really wish people would stop accusing the FO of not upgrading the blue line in the off season. JFC it takes two to trade and top 4 D men aren't coming cheaply. Top 2 guys are prohibitive. And, seriously, if anyone had tried to trade Joey for Seth Jones last summer I don't believe that anyone here would have liked it and only a few would have said well, it makes some sense to me.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
If you change too often, you are the Cleveland Browns. Just enjoy the ride. Many other teams are also stuck in the doldrums.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
With a forward unit that can rival most in the Eastern Conference, most of the scrutiny leading up to the season has been on the defense.

The Blue Jackets didn’t make any real additions to the unit, but Kekalainen said he is confident in the unit because, barring more injuries, some young and up-and-coming defensemen will finally have their chance to shine. A good example of that is Ryan Murray, who missed most of last year with an injury.

“Murray being healthy makes me confident,†he said. “He played 12 games last year, and almost every time that he did play, he was one of our best, if not the best defenseman for our team. Other young defensemen should be taking the next step as well, like David Savard, Kevin Connauton, Dalton Prout and Cody Gobulef. They’re all young, ambitious and hungry to get more ice time. Let’s see them develop. Let’s see them take the next step and earn their ice time.â€

Sounds like Jarmo thought they would be better through experience gained and he also left the door open to improving it through trades if necessary. He was way wrong on the former, but fixed it with the latter. He also failed to factor in the vets decline unfortunately.
I doubt he tried to do too much in the offseason given his statement.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/metropolitan/columbus-blue-jackets/jarmo-kekalainen-confident-2015-16-blue-jackets/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
INSANITY - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. it's what the FO expects the fans to buy into next season (again).

Unlike the start of this year, next year's starting roster will lack a #1C, but it will have a #1D. Possibly multiple.

So, yeah, tell me again about how we're doing the same thing over and over. :rolleyes:

seriously, that little "witticism" has become a ****ing perpetual thought-killing cliche around here and I'm sick of it. Apparently it's "same thing again and again - insanity!" if we don't change the roster every single time a month passes by without winning. Or every time a month passes by in a season where we can't make the playoffs, regardless of how we did in that month. Get an actual argument, not this contrived meaningless bull****.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

1. Make a list of these country club players you speak of. I'm pretty sure it's going to be slanderous BS. As for conditioning, you can go on their record if you want to be lazy, or you can look at the actual performance tests they did in camp. There is no conditioning problem by the latter measure. Foligno's explanation of the exhaustion made a lot more sense.

2. Most GMs in the league are in their first GM job. Would you prefer a recently fired GM? This has to be one of the most annoying critiques of Jarmo. Seriously people, look around before assuming that everything this franchise does is uniquely incompetent.

3. The contract dispute with Joey is not at fault for the way he carried himself on the ice. More like the other way around. If the dispute had anything to do with his play, then that tells you something terrible about the character of the player. It's amazing to me that the same guy complaining about "country club" blames JD/Jarmo for laying down the law on the most country club player we had.

Getting someone as good as Seth Jones out of that mess is strongly to Jarmo's credit. That's a trade you put on your mantle.

4. The core of this team is between the ages of 20 and 23. Not even in their primes. Don't give me that "definition of insanity" line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I really wish people would stop accusing the FO of not upgrading the blue line in the off season. JFC it takes two to trade and top 4 D men aren't coming cheaply. Top 2 guys are prohibitive. And, seriously, if anyone had tried to trade Joey for Seth Jones last summer I don't believe that anyone here would have liked it and only a few would have said well, it makes some sense to me.

This is the critique of Jarmo I actually think has merit. I know he tried to make some moves, but he didn't put enough weight on improving the D. As the results post-Jones show, that was a big mistake. This team needed that top D more than anything. He could have made that same trade last summer if he had wanted to, and it would have made the team better, even though most here would have hated it. I would have loved it though, and my posting record from last summer should indicate that.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Unlike the start of this year, next year's starting roster will lack a #1C, but it will have a #1D. Possibly multiple.

So, yeah, tell me again about how we're doing the same thing over and over. :rolleyes:

seriously, that little "witticism" has become a ****ing perpetual thought-killing cliche around here and I'm sick of it. Apparently it's "same thing again and again - insanity!" if we don't change the roster every single time a month passes by without winning. Or every time a month passes by in a season where we can't make the playoffs, regardless of how we did in that month. Get an actual argument, not this contrived meaningless bull****.

in·san·i·ty
inˈsanədē/
noun
the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
"he suffered from bouts of insanity"
synonyms: mental illness, madness, dementia; More
extreme foolishness or irrationality.
plural noun: insanities
"it might be pure insanity to take this loan"
synonyms: folly, foolishness, madness, idiocy, stupidity, lunacy, silliness; informal craziness
"it would be insanity to take this loan"

Actual definition :laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Getting someone as good as Seth Jones out of that mess is strongly to Jarmo's credit. That's a trade you put on your mantle.

Laughable. #1C who finished 16th in league scoring at age 22 for a guy playing third pairing. Trade of the Century:laugh::laugh:

4. The core of this team is between the ages of 20 and 23. Not even in their primes. Don't give me that "definition of insanity" line.

Check your birth dates.

Core Forwards ages entering next season:

Wennberg.....22
Jenner....23
Saad.....24
Atkinson.....27
Foligno.....29
Dubinsky.....30
Hartnell......34

Dmen:

Johnson.....29
Savard......25
Jones......22
Murray.......23

Goalies:

Bob.......27
Korpi.....22

Prospects who haven't played an NHL game are not "core" by any reasonable definition.

Last edited by a moderator:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
CR, just for fun that average is still under 26 and I think Hartnell is fairly debatable.

The point remains our team is young.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Laughable. #1C who finished 16th in league scoring at age 22 for a guy playing third pairing. Trade of the Century:laugh::laugh:

I know you are Joey fan but methinks you cherry picked/spun the facts here just a bit.

On most teams other than Nashville Jones wouldn't have been on the 3rd pair. On many, like here, he would have been a 1st line guy and probably wouldn't have been tradeable.

You also left out Joey's performance this year which has been a bit off the 70 point pace. I think he is on pace for mid-50's. So I guess we should give Jarmo credit for obtaining a guy who is our best D in exchange for a guy who has Dubi-like stats.

I know you won't change your mind but I just felt like we needed an op-ed piece on your stance.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Check your birth dates.

Core Forwards ages entering next season:

Wennberg.....22
Jenner....23
Saad.....24
Atkinson.....27
Foligno.....29
Dubinsky.....30
Hartnell......34

Dmen:

Johnson.....29
Savard......25
Jones......22
Murray.......23

Goalies:

Bob.......27
Korpi.....22

Prospects who haven't played an NHL game are not "core" by any reasonable definition.

You really think I don't know how old the players are? The term "core" is debated. I'm referring here to the disproportionate number of key players who cluster at the same age and have yet to enter their primes.

It typically bodes very well for the future when a team has its top pair quality D-men, starter quality G, and 3 of its top six quality F's all under the age of 24 (i.e. pre-prime).

And that Joey comment is ridiculous. I'm sure you're aware that we also traded a middling top six C for a top pair D who is two years younger. I have the decency to not present it in such a biased way, I'd prefer if you did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad