Things to do in Edmonton

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Walk around Historic Strathcona. There's interesting shops, places to eat, ghost tours and take the streetcar across the High Level Bridge. The river valley trail system is truly spectacular for it's scenery. Elk Island National Park is only 40 minutes away (Dusk/dawn to see a lot of wildlife). Go to Devon to visit the Aga Khan Gardens. Edmonton Elks play Winnipeg on the 22nd of July at Commonwealth Stadium. It's a great time.
Stop in at Block 1912 if you go the Whyte ave. Great little bistro/coffee shop. As for Hotels, the Hotel MacDonald is classy.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Wouldn’t be caught dead in the Fantasyland Hotel. It’s a glorified overpriced dump.

Stay at the JW Marriott Downtown of your spending those dollars.

When I first stayed there back in the 80s it was nice . The last time I stayed in the 90s it wasn't very clean . I also looked up reviews and it is really getting bad reviews now . Having said that it is my granddaughter first time there so I want her to have the chance to see the mall . It is about her not me as I could careless about it . A few years ago I gave my daughter 10,000.00 to take her to Disneyland she still talks about the trip and had a nice painting done of her saying thanks for Disney . I also let her use my cotton candy , snow cone machine and Jet spy machine for lemonade . She made 500.00 on that for spending money , Didn't want to give her everything . Want her to learn the value of working for something . I guess I succeeded as she just turned 15 and got her first job on her own .

Thanks I will look into JW Marriott .

Maybe you or someone know is there much to see around the ice district ? I have been to an Oilers game since the streaker jump on the ice vs the Flames

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Surprised there's no mention of Whyte Ave yet.

Is it no longer good anymore? I always spend a day there with the wife when we come back to visit every few years.
7 posts earlier bruv
Whyte Ave. is the Southern Border of the Strathcona neighborhood.

WEM, Uni/Mall, Strathcona, and Downtown incl. the river valley and arena are about the only "city trip" type things I ever do in Edmonton. Otherwise: Rockies or Elk Island

I go for Donair, Asian food, and burgers & milkshakes. Not really worth a detailed answer here unless OP provides more specifics. Like @Drivesaitl said it's not a good use of time to inform someone about the best Banh Mi joint when the guy wants Cactus Club or The Keg.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Maybe you or someone know is there much to see around the ice district ? I have been to an Oilers game since the streaker jump on the ice vs the Flames

- Downtown Farmers Market
- City Hall and Art Gallery (not for me, but it's right there)
- Double Greeting is super authentic Chinese in a nearby shady neighborhood
- Walk down 104 Ave (coffee & Food), turn right on Jasper and you'll find Red Star Pub (lock stock coffee) and Pub 1905 if you like Pubs. The Legislature Grounds are nearby and pretty nice for a chill summer day. Nearby the Legislature is a historic High Level Bridge Streetcar that will take you to the Southside (Strathcona/Whyte).

Reactions: oilers'72 and Zenos

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
- Downtown Farmers Market
- City Hall and Art Gallery (not for me, but it's right there)
- Double Greeting is super authentic Chinese in a nearby shady neighborhood
- Walk down 104 Ave (coffee & Food), turn right on Jasper and you'll find Red Star Pub (lock stock coffee) and Pub 1905 if you like Pubs. The Legislature Grounds are nearby and pretty nice for a chill summer day. Nearby the Legislature is a historic High Level Bridge Streetcar that will take you to the Southside (Strathcona/Whyte).
That thing is still running? I haven't seen that car go over the bridge since I was a kid. I thought that maybe they retired it or something.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
7 posts earlier bruv
Whyte Ave. is the Southern Border of the Strathcona neighborhood.

WEM, Uni/Mall, Strathcona, and Downtown incl. the river valley and arena are about the only "city trip" type things I ever do in Edmonton. Otherwise: Rockies or Elk Island

I go for Donair, Asian food, and burgers & milkshakes. Not really worth a detailed answer here unless OP provides more specifics. Like @Drivesaitl said it's not a good use of time to inform someone about the best Banh Mi joint when the guy wants Cactus Club or The Keg.
Donair in the west aren't not even in the same ballpark as in the east . Halifax was the first place in Canada to have Donairs and the have a perfect sweet sauce for them . I hate the sauce they use out west .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am going to ask another dumb question . Does anyone know where I can buy a 1984 to 1987 Toyota LE van . I had one and regret selling it .

Like this one

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Hey fellow Oiler fans . I am headed out there around the 22nd of July . My Daughter her Husband my ex and my granddaughter are coming . Going to Calgary for a wedding and want to bring my granddaughter to Edmonton for the mall of course . Not sure it worth 400.00 a night but may get a room in the mall ..... My ex wants it . I think it a waste of money . Any suggestion for a nice hotel and things to do and where to get good food

Thanks in advance . McSuper
The best thing to do in Edmonton is head west from Calgary, then spend as little time in Edmonton as possible.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The best thing to do in Edmonton is head west from Calgary, then spend as little time in Edmonton as possible.
I lived in Calgary for 20 years . The best part of living there was watching all the Flames fans cry every year Edmonton won cups . While I liked the layout of Calgary better as it seems more modern Edmonton is the better city to visit . I also sure as heck wouldn't want to go see the old saddle dome but I would make the trip to see the ice district

Reactions: oilers'72

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I lived in Calgary for 20 years . The best part of living there was watching all the Flames fans cry every year Edmonton won cups . While I liked the layout of Calgary better as it seems more modern Edmonton is the better city to visit . I also sure as heck wouldn't want to go see the old saddle dome but I would make the trip to see the ice district
West of Calgary is Kananaskis, Canmore, and Banff 😉

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

face-cringe.gif

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Hey fellow Oiler fans . I am headed out there around the 22nd of July . My Daughter her Husband my ex and my granddaughter are coming . Going to Calgary for a wedding and want to bring my granddaughter to Edmonton for the mall of course . Not sure it worth 400.00 a night but may get a room in the mall ..... My ex wants it . I think it a waste of money . Any suggestion for a nice hotel and things to do and where to get good food

Thanks in advance . McSuper
Good lord, don't spend $400 on a room there if you don't have to. Way nicer hotels in Edmonton than that one, and much cheaper. But.....happy spouse, happy house amirite? Lol

Reactions: oilers'72

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

My Dad and I were skiing at Nakiska a few years ago and decided to watch a Flames/Stars game in hopes that we would see the Flames lose live (as well as for the $11 StubHub tickets).

Wound up in the high nosebleeds at the dome and had over 50% of our view blocked by the cast concrete waffle roof. Suffice it to say that the Dome has the personality of a cold war prison. It's dull, lifeless, and just plain ugly...very much like the IQ of most Flames fans. :naughty:

At least the Coliseum had better sightlines and some character to it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He said he’s in Calgary for a bit then wants something to do as he leaves. I was suggesting heading to the mountains instead of Edmonton, but to each their own.

Could just as easily suggest he goes due West to Jasper and avoid the locations absolutely plagued by tourists. Jasper has these issues as well, but certainly has more of an “authentic” mountain town experience nowadays.

Canadians have a really funny sense of civic pride when you consider that the major cities hardly register when compared to their closest American counterparts. Especially for those that reside in the ‘second class’ cities of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax etc (all of which have nice elements, for sure, but would likely fit more into 3rd tier American cities for things to do, features etc)

The natural beauty of Canada is world class, sure, but it’s not exclusive to here. For example, the Rockies are a close second to the Alps, which is a blessing for people in Alberta and BC.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Could just as easily suggest he goes due West to Jasper and avoid the locations absolutely plagued by tourists. Jasper has these issues as well, but certainly has more of an “authentic” mountain town experience nowadays.

Canadians have a really funny sense of civic pride when you consider that the major cities hardly register when compared to their closest American counterparts. Especially for those that reside in the ‘second class’ cities of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax etc (all of which have nice elements, for sure, but would likely fit more into 3rd tier American cities for things to do, features etc)

The natural beauty of Canada is world class, sure, but it’s not exclusive to here. For example, the Rockies are a close second to the Alps, which is a blessing for people in Alberta and BC.
He’s leaving Calgary. It’s a quick drive from there instead of heading up to Edmonton then going 3 hours west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad