Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The Flyers won’t offer-sheet anyone. This is the team that prioritizes relationships above all and wants teams they negotiate with to “win” too. It would be uncouth, old sport.

I do think the chances the Flyers trade the 12th pick went up today. It could take 2 years to pay dividends. They don’t have that long — the window is now.
Aren't we up there with the most offsheets in history?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Aren't we up there with the most offsheets in history?

Clarke offer-sheeted Kesler on a lame 1 year deal. Then Holmgren did the Weber thing. But both of those guys weren’t exactly afraid to piss people off.

The New Era of Orange is very country club. They practically sent out thank you cards when other GMs didn’t go public about Gauthier (which didn’t matter but I digress). So, I would be very shocked if Briere and Jones f***ed around in offer-sheet land. It rarely happens anyway.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think teams in general are scared &/or lazy when it comes to offer sheets. I think they’ve passed up situations over the years that could have potentially had a higher than normal chance of going through. But with that said they are hard to pull off in the salary cap era.

The only two that have gone through is Dustin Penner & Jesperi Kotkaniemi. If you look at those compared to others those guys they were essentially middle of the lineup guys who were probably getting overpaid at the time & the compensation pushed to a first rounder plus.

Teams have matched seemingly every top of the lineup caliber player that has come about to this point even if done so begrudgingly. You have others where the compensation didn’t even push to a first rounder+ the salary was so low that it probably never had a chance of going through.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Lotta good insight from Charlie and Bill last few days
-Buyout apparently is 400k
-When Briere did that French language media and said "we havent talked to him" it was clearly talking to Russia, don't want to ruffle any feathers
-Apparently Carolina said something advocating for Nikishin to come over, and it didn't sit well with the teams owner...who apparently won't let him go for "100 million dollars"
-Charlie believes everything is coming to a logical conclusion, which is him coming over
-Impressed with Briere's handling of the situation
-Charlie like Elliott heard weeks ago, "one more year" now status has changed
-Michkov wearing the Flyers shirt was talked about

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Our center depth is so atrocious, this is obviously an upgrade. Still feels like aiming low, which is a Flyers trademark.
Lindholm is slow and middling center. I can imagine him in Boston though if he agrees on reasonable terms otherwise it's another Hayes situation in waiting. Hopefully in any other metro team but flyers.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
The Flyers are at the cap ceiling

Not that I think they should do it, but they have 10.25m going on LTIR and a nearly full roster, so they could do it, if 7x7 is all it would take.

If Rod doesn‘t want him at center, I‘m not sure why the Flyers would though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It kind of sounds like Bob Clarke and the Flyers got mad at BrindAmour for the audacity of being hurt to start the 99-00, season. And that they thought Primeau would be better because he was bigger.

Truly a cursed fanchise.
Was that really that bad of a deal? Rod the Bod played longer than Primeau but at least during the time that Primeau and RtB were active following the trade, their production was pretty similar. IDK what happens if RtB stays in Philly but it isn't like Primeau sucked while he was here or RtB dominated in Carolina. He won two Selkes so obviously he was a better defensive player, but it wasn't a situation where Primeau was a liability or anything like that. And I know that people on here like to downplay leadership but by all accounts Primeau was a great captain. In vaccuum yeah RtB is obviously a better player and the Canes won that trade, but in reality it was a pretty even trade. I don't know that that trade is evidence of a cursed franchise, something that there is ample evidence of elsewhere.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I wasn't really quite old enough to understand trades for Primeau/Rod. Obv seen some stuff about 17+88 but was just curious

It was an attempt to take the traditional 2 big star Center road to Cups. Gagne was in his Age 19 season and while he looked very good for a rookie, you couldn’t bet the remainder of Lindros and Leclair’s primes on him becoming what he did yet. Injuries had already killed Renberg. Langkow was good, but certainly not a star. Recchi was still very good, but they correctly identified that they needed to hit another skill player home run to compete with the real heavy hitters in 7 game series.

Disclaimer: I have never been nearly as big of an RBA fan as almost everyone else. Very, very good player. But the fanbase balked at trading him for prime Shanahan for example. At some point, it disconnected from reality.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad