Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
At some point the management of the team has to step in and take an honest long term look at a player's health and make the wise decisions for them. CIP- T. J. Oshie situation cited here:
Most of these guys, RyJo types excluded, will do anything to get out on the ice and play including lying about their real condition. It's part of the hockey warrior mystique. Still the PTB need to intervene and not allow the player or coach to misuse a player the way Couturier was this season. The same may be true of Farabee as well.
It just makes sense to closely monitor the health of all players especially those coming off of serious injuries and not allow such players to push their envelope too far. The same goes for coaches. They just want to win every night. Would thy overplay a recovering player? We've seen that they would time and time again.
Add in the fact that the Flyers medical staff lost all credibility a long time ago for accurately determining whether someone is at risk of reinjury or worse by playing.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
At some point the management of the team has to step in and take an honest long term look at a player's health and make the wise decisions for them. CIP- T. J. Oshie situation cited here:
Most of these guys, RyJo types excluded, will do anything to get out on the ice and play including lying about their real condition. It's part of the hockey warrior mystique. Still the PTB need to intervene and not allow the player or coach to misuse a player the way Couturier was this season. The same may be true of Farabee as well.
It just makes sense to closely monitor the health of all players especially those coming off of serious injuries and not allow such players to push their envelope too far. The same goes for coaches. They just want to win every night. Would thy overplay a recovering player? We've seen that they would time and time again.
But that's what I'm saying, you can't police this for the sake of policing it. Whomever you are whether it is Coots, Farabee, or any player, you are responsible for that. That isn't on the coach. It can't be. It's different if Coots says I can't play and Torts says he has to and they pump him full of drugs to get him through it. That is very different. But if you are the player and you want to play and tell the coach you can when you can't, you can't say it is Torts fault. Especially if there is a doctor on board with him playing. Now, obviously if he can barely skate and is saying he's fine again, very different story and the coach should be able to recognize that. Think Adam Banks from the Mighty Ducks. But just being slow or not being the player he was before the surgery isn't a reason to hold him out if he feels good and a doc says he is good.

Reactions: Larry44

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
his contract is movable under the right circumstances. the way his contract is structured, a team that is under the cap floor could trade for him to meet the cap floor

if the Flyers trade him now and retain $2 M, a team below the cap floor could get Couturier for 6yrs for a total of $4M for 6 years left on the contract and solve their below-the-floor cap problem.
this is how the Flyers moved Pronger's contract.
He has a NMC, he isn't going to agree to be shipped to some garbage team that isn't even meeting thr cap floor. Even if the Flyers remain trash (they will) he might as well stick with the trash team he has built his life around.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
But that's what I'm saying, you can't police this for the sake of policing it. Whomever you are whether it is Coots, Farabee, or any player, you are responsible for that. That isn't on the coach. It can't be. It's different if Coots says I can't play and Torts says he has to and they pump him full of drugs to get him through it. That is very different. But if you are the player and you want to play and tell the coach you can when you can't, you can't say it is Torts fault. Especially if there is a doctor on board with him playing. Now, obviously if he can barely skate and is saying he's fine again, very different story and the coach should be able to recognize that. Think Adam Banks from the Mighty Ducks. But just being slow or not being the player he was before the surgery isn't a reason to hold him out if he feels good and a doc says he is good.
Or the players says he feels great and you say "awesome, but we are going to play things safe in a year we claim is a rebuilding year, we will start you with lower minute totals and some extra rest days and monitor you over the course of the year. We will see how this goes and reevaluate next year."

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

You can have the devotion the Flyers do to this mindset if you 1) don't understand what having a cap and guaranteed contracts means, 2) still operate under the delusion that you can just sign replacements

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Or the players says he feels great and you say "awesome, but we are going to play things safe in a year we claim is a rebuilding year, we will start you with lower minute totals and some extra rest days and monitor you over the course of the year. We will see how this goes and reevaluate next year."
Right? It's not rocket science. Guy hasn't played in almost 2 years? Maybe ease him in. I'm just an internet GM though. Don't have the mentality of a true warrior.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Anything that humiliates this org and drags Clarke and Torts through the mud I'm all for. Hoping Coots goes scorched earth. Full Eichel. One of these will be the last straw for this old guard- if we're lucky it'll be this
what scorched earth is he gong to do? He has pretty much zero value and comparing him to Eichel is not a good comparison. He is stuck here for a while.

What does Clarke have to do with the "coots" situation?

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
what scorched earth is he gong to do? He has pretty much zero value and comparing him to Eichel is not a good comparison. He is stuck here for a while.

Clarke is the source of everything. Everything in management ties back to him, his cronies, his values.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I mean sure they could, but that doesn't really accomplish anything. If you're going to hold him out on Monday because of concerns over his health (health that a doctor and he himself says isn't an issue) why would you let him play Wednesday? And why would you be ok with Coots being a healthy scratch for this reason but not because the coach doesn't think he is playing well?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

I'm with ya. I think the agent move was to get on better relations with the FO/coach etc

I believe his new agent was Danny's agent when he signed here as well. Not sure who Danny is represented by now, but interesting.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
my bad. torts is now a clarke cronny?

Clarke was very enthusiastic about Tortorella's hiring and how he'd treat players like shit. Clarke sees someone like him. That's why they gave him so much power, he thinks like all of them and values the same trash they do.

And the way that ties to rumoring about Couturier is, if they're driving Couturier out that's a massive loss of face. He's been the consummate "team" guy. They like to still pretend players want to be here and they can have whoever they want. That's not true if they cant even retain their own players, and it all ties back to Tortorella who is a living embodiment of all this team's management treasures. Big reason why I said when he was hired that it's a nightmare situation where each will cause a feedback loop with the other.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
He has a NMC, he isn't going to agree to be shipped to some garbage team that isn't even meeting thr cap floor. Even if the Flyers remain trash (they will) he might as well stick with the trash team he has built his life around.
Yes, the unfortunate outcome of that trash contract is Couturier, most likely, will never win a SC. Unless, of course at some point, he feels like he has made enough money and cancels the contract.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Dude, what? Load management is absolutely a responsibility of the coach.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Clarke was very enthusiastic about Tortorella's hiring and how he'd treat players like shit. Clarke sees someone like him. That's why they gave him so much power, he thinks like all of them and values the same trash they do.

And the way that ties to rumoring about Couturier is, if they're driving Couturier out that's a massive loss of face. He's been the consummate "team" guy. They like to still pretend players want to be here and they can have whoever they want. That's not true if they cant even retain their own players, and it all ties back to Tortorella who is a living embodiment of all this team's management treasures. Big reason why I said when he was hired that it's a nightmare situation where each will cause a feedback loop with the other.
connecting the couturier situation to Clarke is beyond a reach.

Yes, the unfortunate outcome of that trash contract is Couturier, most likely, will never win a SC. Unless, of course at some point, he feels like he has made enough money and cancels the contract.
why is that unfortunate? was he forced to sign that ext? he choose to stay here so no sympathy at all.

Reactions: 04hockey

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I'm with ya. I think the agent move was to get on better relations with the FO/coach etc

I believe his new agent was Danny's agent when he signed here as well. Not sure who Danny is represented by now, but interesting.
that could be a reason. Or to facilitate a trade as he is more widely known then the prior agent who only had I think they said 1 client.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes