Seravalli: "There are growing concerns that some Canadian Teams are handcuffed at the TDL because of No Trade Clauses" Vetoing trades to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Perception tho I think plays a role. Winnipeg is pretty much Minnesota north. Dudes who enjoy hunting fishing and out doors would love it and do. We just have this perception about us. Most these guys see the airport to the arena. That’s not a good stretch there. If I’m unknown to Winnipeg I see that stretch and go… nope.

But if I’m living here I know there’s 2 huge lakes less than an hour away. I know lake of the woods is close. It’s perception. And just some guys don’t want the pressure. As a former player myself, that surprises me. My dream growing up was to play for a Canadian team. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Mentioned how Kuzmenko had Calgary and other Canadian Teams on his no trade clause but luckily waived it to eventually allow the trade to Calgary.
Or to put it another way: Of his 12 team no trade clause, Kuzmenko had at least 8 American teams on it.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
That and players don't necessarily want to play In Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal where they are criticized for playing poorly and get recognized in public

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I dont think people really understand why NHLers have Canadian Teams on their NTCs;

Yes, city, environment, lakes, oceans, quality of life etc play a big role in that but i think the number one reason alot of Canadian teams are on NTCs is because of the pressure, media coverage and fan obessesion.

I dont know if American fans actually realize how big Hockey is in Canada.

Litterally if you turn on sports radio right now in Canada, you will get 6 hrs of hockey coverage even when there is no games. You might get lucky to hear 15 minutes worth of Super Bowl talk this week.

When a Canadian team goes on a road trip, there are probably 6-10 journalists that travel with them to cover the games.

Think about the job you do , imagine if you can do that job in peace vs doing it with 10x more pressure, and X amount more of people dissecting your work.

Alot of players dont want that pressure and its understandable.

Now add that pressure plus the cold weather and some cities not being so "posh and upsacale" cities in Canada and thats where you get all the NTCs.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Toronto. I wouldn’t wanna play there. But I wouldn’t say no. That’s a pressure market. I’m not sure about that one honestly. The rest. I’d take all of them over places ppl don’t care.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I looked into this a while ago, and to the posters claiming that this isn't anything new, that just isn't true. The number of players with NMC/NTC included in contracts (according to Capfriendly) has grown from 57 players 15 years, to 162 10 years ago, to 176 5 years ago, to a staggering 245 this season.

There are roughly 1500 active contracts in the league this year, of which 500 are entry level contracts which can't include those clauses. Of the remaining 1000 active players, about 25% have NTC/NMC.

I understand it's easy to point and laugh at the less desirable teams (fun too), but this is genuinely becoming a pretty dire problem for the league.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
American here, I get Vancouver and Montreal, don’t see much appeal for Toronto.

Montreal and Vancouver hold more appeal for me personally as well but it's hard to argue with Toronto's influence and stature. It'd be something like the third biggest city in the US. Montreal itself is like the tenth most populous city in North America.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'd be curious if this affects all of Canada or only the smaller markets.

The Canadian big three cities have never struck me as ever struggling to acquire or re-sign Americans or Europeans to their teams.
Europeans don't care where they play when they start out in the NHL. They just want to be in the NHL. Europeans don't want to be in the A for a long time, otherwise they're going back home to make more money in a familiar culture.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
By some Canadian teams you mean Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg right?

Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal don't have this problem.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Well looks like buchys price just went up. He has a 12 team no trade list so 20 teams most likely include canadian teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad