Seravalli: "There are growing concerns that some Canadian Teams are handcuffed at the TDL because of No Trade Clauses" Vetoing trades to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yah, it must be awesome to live in a country ranked 47th in life expectancy. Behind:
- Canada
- Puerto Rico
- Kuwait
- United Arab Emirates
Etc
Errrrr we are talking about playing in a nhl city right now. If im a nhl player money won’t be an issue wether im in USA or Canada.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
btw they didn’t say it was impossible to sign players. He just thinks Canadian teams might be on more players do not trade to teams. Those one to 2 teams i personally think is winterpeg and deadmonton.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I think an interesting solution to this problem would be for all No Trade Clauses to expire on February 1st in the final year of the players contract. This would allow for a more interesting trade deadline year after year and improve parity. Obviously, players/NHLPA would need to receive something in return for forfeiting 4 months of freedom but it seems minor in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kind of an odd headline given that the two top centers on the market just went to Canadian teams.

Most Canadian markets, by my memory, have done a good job in retaining and attracting talent. Winnipeg has legit difficulties attracting players so it is a credit to GM Chevy to have built a winner there.

the sense of entitlement we see from Canadian teams over this sometimes is kinda funny

we don't ever see Columbus for example whining about players not wanting to go there

Columbus certainly did whine about it when they lost their elite players a few years ago. But the difficulty attracting free agents to Columbus has been greatly overstated here. They just snagged Severson (top D on the market), Gaudreau (top F), Nyquist (around 3rd F on the market that year). Going back, I can remember Horton being the top F on the market, and Foote the top D.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Just saw his hit on NHL network during the All-Star festivities

He mentioned he has spoken to 1-2 Canadian Team GMs who have expressed that they might be handcuffed because alot of the players they are targeting have some Canadian teams on their "No Trade Clauses"

Also reflected on how the two big trades so far Lindholm, Monahan are from Canadian to Canadian teams because those players dont mind playing in Canada and perhaps why Canucks and Jets targeted them.

Mentioned how Kuzmenko had Calgary and other Canadian Teams on his no trade clause but luckily waived it to eventually allow the trade to Calgary.

Thoughts?

Is this going to be a problem for Canadian contending teams at this years trade deadline?
All you have to do is admit that Vermont has better maple syrup and this all goes away.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
NTCs should be made known for public knowledge.
Why so fans can even worse to them. Anytime you hear a 10 team no trade clause? You can usually guess 5 or 6 right away. Flames jets oilers and sens. Sometime habs. With buffalo and arizona.

For me? We already know many players have a problem playing in 🇨🇦

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
UFAs making their NTC
IMG_4819.gif

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
If I was an NHLer, outside of the covid years, I'd love to play for Montreal or Vancouver. Just seem like beautiful and fun places to live in a market that actually cares about hockey. Except I tried learning French and epically failed lol. No offense to Toronto, too much under the microscope in a huge city. (and I'm a Sabres fan so it'd be hard psychologically to rock a Leafs jersey)

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Off of answers directly from the players and the teams that were most common on NTC lists in 2023. It's factual and facts don't care about feelings.
The NHL '24 game has that option now? Cool! Unless you spoke to the players directly, no poll or survey will directly mention that MTL or any other team is on a NTC. You're making shit up because you're a Hab hater.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I could see someone perhaps wanting to play in a place where hockey may not be the number one sport and avoid media, etc. Other than that I think the average Canadian city is as good or better than the average American city. It’s more individual city imo.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It's going to become a bigger issue as more American players enter the league. MLB/NBA have the same issue where many don't want to go to Toronto.

It's no surprise European players don't have the same reservations as they understand what public services are better.

The states also double dip on American's taxes no matter where they live in the world.

The NHL '24 game has that option now? Cool! Unless you spoke to the players directly, no poll or survey will directly mention that MTL or any other team is on a NTC. You're making shit up because you're a Hab hater.
Quebec also had it's own tax system from revenue Quebec, which may or may not have different rules than the cra that are better for athletes. I've never heard of the Habs being on a ntc.

Reactions: Guy Larose

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Vancouver with only like 2 Canadian players on the active rosterView attachment 814039

I think Vancouver and Toronto are the exceptions. Proximity to the border in Vancouver's case, nice city, not as cold and Toronto is a pretty good city especially if you're loaded with like 5 different airlines to get you wherever you need to go in the U.S.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
This is the biggest none story on the year. Anyone who did not know this needs to lay off those strange smelling cigarettes.

Without fear of upsetting sane fans of many teams. My guess, in no order, teams that appear on 90% of the NTC currently in the NHL. Going from right to left. Toronto is not on the list for obvious reason. Vancouver on the list because they are winning. But when they are losing. But for the guys on their home board(which is mine)--When the Canucks suck they are an after thought in Vancouver and are down the list of where players want to go.

There are about a handful of US cities that can toe to toe with how much pressure 24/7/365 there are on players in Canadians cities.

My guess of teams on 90% of the NTC currently in the NHL

Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Calgary
Arizona
San Jose

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This doesn't really matter much especially in a cap league.
Most teams that compete for Cups have cores that are mostly made up of homegrown players and most core players, outside of Winnipeg and Calgary due to having core American players, have been re-signed by Canadian teams, plenty of big free agents have signed with Canadian teams as well. I don't see this as a big issue. The big issue with Canadian teams over the last however many decades now is poor management.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I think Vancouver and Toronto are the exceptions. Proximity to the border in Vancouver's case, nice city, not as cold and Toronto is a pretty good city especially if you're loaded with like 5 different airlines to get you wherever you need to go in the U.S.
about 25 years ago nearly 75% of the players on the team lived in either White Rock or Bellingham. No idea is they still have there, but their practice facility used to be in Surrey for a reason

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
As far as the Isles go, nearly every new contract that Lou has doled out has a NTC or NMC. It’s bad for competitive balance in the league. It negatively impacts several Canadian teams but also limits the flexibility of the team signing these players.

Most of these deals are also too many years. Somehow there are fans out there that rationalize it by saying the cap is going up, the deal can be bought out or that it can be buried to some extent using waivers. I call it irresponsible long term management for a team that’s not on the cusp of being a Cup contender.

Who is this good for? The Leafs and the Rangers to name two teams. The league doesn’t mind that so don’t expect it to change.

Last edited:

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Tell me about it. The only players we seem to be able to acquire are miscreants who had their contacts voided by other teams

• Love
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Tell me about it. The only players we seem to be able to acquire are miscreants who had their contacts voided by other teams
For me this is a none story as it is not a new one. It just causes some fan basis to get all lathered up and others to troll the fans of teams they know are on the list

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I also did some digging in Capfriendly. There are roughly 500-600 NHL players who are eligible to have trade clauses. Out those, about 400 have a cap hit of 1 million or more. Three players below million cap hit have a NTC.

So my very rough estimate is that 60% of players that are eligible for a NTC, have a NTC. When excluding the minor leaguers and 13th F / 7th D types, it's about 65%.
There is a discussion to be had about this is people took 10 seconds to think about whether the hilarious joke they typed up to post in here had already been posted multiple times by equally witty people.

It's not even necessarily a catastrophe. Do free agents waive to go to playoff contenders for a few months? If so, the advantage toward attractive locations is likely not that great.

But the situation is certainly growing. Again, the number of NMC/NTC in contracts is growing fairly rapidly. And there is really little to no incentive for GMs to not hand them out like candy, since the GM shelf life is so short.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If I was an NHLer, outside of the covid years, I'd love to play for Montreal or Vancouver. Just seem like beautiful and fun places to live in a market that actually cares about hockey. Except I tried learning French and epically failed lol. No offense to Toronto, too much under the microscope in a huge city. (and I'm a Sabres fan so it'd be hard psychologically to rock a Leafs jersey)
FWIW, you can easily live in Montreal knowing little to no French. West Island in particular. Those that are French first almost entirely speak English too - even if a small number make a big deal about it.

There's also plenty of microscope and scrutiny in Montreal. They may have invented it lol.

I have to laugh at those players that site weather as a reason to play south of the border. As pointed out on earlier pages, Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are all close to the border. I saw a stand up comic once who made a good joke about celsius, fahrenheit and where to put the border. "Jeez! It's 23 here (hopes over an imaginary line) and it's 73 here. Yup, there's the border!" Or something to that effect. Fact is, for the 6 months that is the regular season the weather isn't that different among a large % of the markets on either side of the border. You know as well as anyone, the idea that someone who would say "I'm signing with Buffalo because I don't want to winter in Calgary" is just plain silly.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad