Half-Assed GDT: There’s a game tonight

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Well, there is this rule called the instigator where a guy can get an extra 2 minutes but wait… this is also called the NHL.. rules are not really rules.. they are more like variables.. refs can enforce these rules when they want and choose not to when they want… this is a way of keeping new fans of hockey completely clueless as to what is fair or acceptable and it also allows some refs like Kerry the ferry Frazier to get big egos…

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Bolduc is one of our better defensive wingers already.

I think one of the reasons for Thomas’ slump after he and Kyrou were separated was the lack of speed on his line to give him space. Bolduc gives you that.
I do think Bolduc has been a good fit on Thomas’s wing, I’m just expressing concern about playing a matchup line role full time. I’d prefer him to be brought along at a steady pace instead of being dropped in the deep end.

Reactions: stlwahoo

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Can anyone explain why the goal didn’t count? They didn’t offer an explanation in the building that I could hear.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I do think Bolduc has been a good fit on Thomas’s wing, I’m just expressing concern about playing a matchup line role full time. I’d prefer him to be brought along at a steady pace instead of being dropped in the deep end.
i think we need to hit pause on matchup lines and d pair. let thomas play with bolduc. stop trying to break parayko. we ain't gonna win Cup next year anyway, let's focus on development.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Nice game by Alexandrov. If he can be consistent, he could stick as a 4th liner. Sucks to see anyone lose a tooth after the whistle by such a goofy circumstance

Reactions: jura and ArenaRat

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
Nice game by Alexandrov. If he can be consistent, he could stick as a 4th liner. Sucks to see anyone lose a tooth after the whistle by such a goofy circumstance
Yes he played a solid game and was noticeable most shifts

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Tucker plays a solid game when the other team doesn't skate circles around him.

i think we need to hit pause on matchup lines and d pair. let thomas play with bolduc. stop trying to break parayko. we ain't gonna win Cup next year anyway, let's focus on development.
Agreed, which is why I think adding a stop gap 2C in the ilk of a Monahan/Karlsson would help the lineup a lot.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Honestly it's so reassuring to see Bolduc's play even up until this point. To have roughly the same edge after playing over 20 games is a great thing to see and you can tell he's getting better. He's making more consistent plays, he's playing the simple game, hounding the puck, just overall really good progression from him. Hope to see him score 30 ish points next year on whatever line he's on.

Maybe after all this time he'll start playing more gritty since he busted his tooth. No sense in holding back now. I thought he was much better this game compared to all of his other games, but I still wasn't super happy with his play. Moreso just happy that he has kicked it in to 2nd gear as opposed to 1st gear lmao

Reactions: Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm really hoping something has clicked with Kyrou, over the past 10-15 games he has been outstanding away from the puck with his tenacity with his backchecking and stick work.
Maybe the frustration of not scoring has gone away with him nearly at 30 now? Getting antsy to break out of his slump, forgetting to just keep it simple. I think it probably has a bit to do with that.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I am still in shock. I want more of THIS TEAM.

And Vegas lost...

We ain't going to make it, so all I can say is LET'S WIN IT OUT BOYS!!!

I believe!

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Maybe the frustration of not scoring has gone away with him nearly at 30 now? Getting antsy to break out of his slump, forgetting to just keep it simple. I think it probably has a bit to do with that.
I definitely think it's a confidence think with him.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
its basically garbage time stat padding with the team not in a playoff race. thats all the phonies like kyrou care about at the end of the day because it leads to more money and business chances down the road.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This certainly highlights the need to be aggressive this offseason in finding a 2C. Thomas doesn’t deserve to get run into the ground, and we need someone that can help him out and also give us more flexibility in line combos for the reason you mentioned.

And despite all that, Kevin Hayes was still a healthy scratch tonight. Even though it’s Chicago, the team was fine having both Kapanen and Blais in there instead of him, not to mention 3 rookies. Yeesh.

Tucker seems like a good kid. Hope he is able to carve out a solid NHL career.
Even though he’s not very good, the reason I am holding out hope he can stick as a 3rd pairing guy is because I do think we need that sandpaper somewhere on our blueline. If we can acquire a player better than him to provide that, then that would be ideal. But yeah, we’ll see if he can improve at all.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
its basically garbage time stat padding with the team not in a playoff race. thats all the phonies like kyrou care about at the end of the day because it leads to more money and business chances down the road.
As opposed to padding stats in the beginning of the year when teams don’t play defense well.

Tucker seems like a good kid. Hope he is able to carve out a solid NHL career.
I hope he can work on his mobility this off-season. He can be a solid defender if he can move quicker.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Garbage stat padding for the past 10 games? Ok dude lmao
teams been out of the playoff race since trashville ate their bacon. notice their slide that occurred up to and after that occurred while he was MIA as well.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
teams been out of the playoff race since trashville ate their bacon. notice their slide that occurred up to and after that occurred while he was MIA as well.

See, this is what happens when you're a fair weather fan. You don't even know we've been competing for a playoff spot for the last 10 games and still have a shot at making it. All you want to do is come in and brag how you don't watch the games as if any of us gives a shit and talk shit about Kyrou and Armstrong. This isn't facebook or twitter, You don't need to announce to everyone that you hate the team because trust us we know.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
See, this is what happens when you're a fair weather fan. You don't even know we've been competing for a playoff spot for the last 10 games and still have a shot at making it. All you want to do is come in and brag how you don't watch the games as if any of us gives a shit and talk shit about Kyrou and Armstrong. This isn't facebook or twitter, You don't need to announce to everyone that you hate the team because trust us we know.
"shot at making it"

LOL

they have 3 games left, are back 3 pts back (with a game in hand for vegas so basically 5). they need to win out, beating 2 cup contending teams in DAL/CAR along the way and need to have either LA or LV totally tank as well

yeah, but they have a SHOT LMAO!

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
to further make you look silly and prove i am right again, as usual. this is when the playoffs for this garbage team were over and here are Cryrou's numbers during that stretch

are there other factors such as Buch and Thomas being trash, Krug being Krug and Faulk stinking it up? Yes. But Kyrou is the key cog in all of this and he and his underperforming season is the #1 reason we will be on the golf course next week.

1712853217055.png

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The number one reason this team is going to be on the golf course next week is that there is not enough talent on the roster AND there is no real identity. That gets to roster construction.

After the Cup, we decided to place an emphasis on getting the defense to transition faster out of our own zone. The end result was that we may have improved in that area slightly, but we did so at the expense of the defense actually defending. From that we have not recovered.

I've heard the excuse that the talent pool available did not allow that transition to happen. That is probably true, but doesn't that get back to the question about why start a transition when the available talent can't be acquired to achieve it?

But, we don't have enough talent anywhere except in net.

As for the identity, when things aren't going well, good teams circle the wagons to what their strength/identity. For us during the Cup run, it was hard-nosed defense and taking advantage of whatever scoring opportunities we did manage to get. Case and point was game 7 of the finals, where we withstood Boston's first period onslaught, managed only 4 shots ourselves, and walked out of the period ahead 2-0. We do not have an identity to fall back on today, unless it is defensive breakdowns or playing down to the level of inferior competition.

When we go into coast mode, we just coast and almost randomly.

We are going to finish the season with upwards of 10 more points than we did last year. While that sounds like progress, it may be about the ceiling for the way this team is constructed. Just limiting the backdoor punch-in goals from awful to not good accounts for that.

It's no secret we need to get better across the board. Kyrou is not untouchable, but the problem is much bigger than just him or two or three other people not being the talk of the league. Isolating the problem to him is about like an airplane losing both engines and the pilots focusing on their altimeters being inconsistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad