Their Donington Park: the clutch games by superstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
:biglaugh:

Gretzky was a defensive liability the last 12 years of his career. No serious team wanted him and while Messier was still winning cups, 99 was hanging at the opposing blueline waiting for an outlet pass.

btw his speed and shot were gone by 26 (thats years of age). After that he relied on McSorley and Bettman (think that thru) to give him room on the ice for those cute flip passes late in the game of another Rangers loss. Maybe if he played a little more defense he'd be more respected as a player.

I give him his due: he was along with Savard the best offensive player of the western conference. Denis on the Oilers great offensive teams and with protection would have hit for 200 points too. Mario might have gone 100 goals and 200 assist a year.

:propeller It's one thing to like or dislike a player and to hold varying opinions, but do you like to make assinine posts like this to help you feel tough, or are you really that simple??

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Eric Lindros scoring against the Rangers on the backhand in Game 4 in 1997 with 6 seconds left to go up 3-1 in the series.

He was a superstar at the time at least....

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
go kim johnsson said:
Eric Lindros scoring against the Rangers on the backhand in Game 4 in 1997 with 6 seconds left to go up 3-1 in the series.

Without the health and family/contract issues it is frightening to think of how effective that guy could have been over the past decade. At his best he was a monster.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
go kim johnsson said:

What sticks out more, in my mind, was the final game of that series when the Rangers pulled Richter for the extra attacker and Lindros outskated and outmuscled Messier to get a loose puck and score the empty-netter. That stands out in my mind for the symbolism as much as anything else.

The Rangers should have torn the whole thing down right then and started rebuilding. Especially after Messier bolted for Vancouver.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
barfy2000 said:
now...marios may not have came in the playoffs...but 5 goals in one game in 5 different ways (PP, SH, PS, ES, EN) is no task that was every accomplished before and probably will never be accomplished again.

i would say waynes was a certain night in the 1981-1982 season....right around game 39 when he scored 5 goals to cap off his 50 goals in 39 games feat

both of these records will stand the test of time...IMO

Crosby will score 40 goals with all 5 ways 8 times in his first game this comming season.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
At Donington, European GP 1993, Senna in an inferior car (MacLaren with a lousy Ford engine) started from 6th with the superior Wililams Renaults of Prost and Damon Hill in front of him. By the end of the first lap in light rain, he led everyone and at the end of the race nearly lapped the field. You had witnessed a stunning performance including a first lap that became known in racing parlance as the "lap of the gods" (google search the lap if you want to see it).

In terms of hockey there are similar moments of high performance. You need a superior opponent and a truly stunning performance even by the high standards of a superstar. Invariably this means the playoffs.

For Lafleur its well known for the wrong reason (the "too many men game").
Against the mighty Bruins, a worthy opponent and essentially a 7th game for the Cup, down 1-3 at almost midway through the 3rd against the tight checking Bruins, Guy refused to let the Habs dynasty lose. He scored a goal (the famous one) and had 2 assists (true set ups), in the dying moments. And then almost scored again with a few seconds left before overtime.

In overtime he exhausted the Bruins with rush after rush. Truly a mesmerizing performance (the Globe and Mail called it a "bravura peformance").

How does it stack up against 99's Donington moment? what is that btw? And dont mention the lousy Maple Leaves of 93.

Or for Mario?

Or Gordie? Or Rocket or Jean or Orr?

If you're going to equate a car race to Guy Lafleur, wouldn't you make a parallel to that fateful glassy-eyed moment that his car swerved all over the road, hell bent for that telephone pole with no regard for the safety of the innocent and sober children who might be playing on the street, unaware of the danger headed their way?? I'd say that was as Donington a moment as I can think of :biglaugh:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Bring Back Bucky said:
Without the health and family/contract issues it is frightening to think of how effective that guy could have been over the past decade. At his best he was a monster.
Although I'm not a fan of his, it often bugs me how people forget how dominant this guy was in his prime.

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:

Gretzky was a defensive liability the last 12 years of his career. No serious team wanted him and while Messier was still winning cups, 99 was hanging at the opposing blueline waiting for an outlet pass.

btw his speed and shot were gone by 26 (thats years of age). After that he relied on McSorley and Bettman (think that thru) to give him room on the ice for those cute flip passes late in the game of another Rangers loss. Maybe if he played a little more defense he'd be more respected as a player.

I give him his due: he was along with Savard the best offensive player of the western conference. Denis on the Oilers great offensive teams and with protection would have hit for 200 points too. Mario might have gone 100 goals and 200 assist a year.

He hung around the blueline as much as Mario did. Let's not forget though, the 91 cheapshot basically ruined the man's speed and slapshot. Even still though, he carried an underdog Kings team on his back in 93'. That falls during the last twelve years doesn't it?

He's not respected as a player now? You have to be joking right? Please tell me you are because if that was a serious remark, you're a complete idiot.

He was the best offensive player the league has ever seen and he also was a good penalty killer during his prime...

Denis would not have hit 200 points. Speculate all you want though.

As for Mario, I seem to remember the days when during his prime, and while playing on arguably the greatest team of all-time, he still couldn't hit 200 points let alone 200 assists.

By the way, you want to rag on Wayne for playing on bad teams? Apparently all of his points were late during another Ranger loss? Well what the hell is the difference between that and Mario during the late eighties? The Penguins sure didn't win much then, maybe we should go back and view the tapes to see if he was simply popping in points late during losses and the occasional empty netter.

Also, let's not forget Chooch... Mario scored nearly 40% of his goals on the Powerplay... Couldn't hack it when he faced 5 players could he?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
DrMoses said:
He hung around the blueline as much as Mario did. Let's not forget though, the 91 cheapshot basically ruined the man's speed and slapshot. Even still though, he carried an underdog Kings team on his back in 93'. That falls during the last twelve years doesn't it?

He's not respected as a player now? You have to be joking right? Please tell me you are because if that was a serious remark, you're a complete idiot.

He was the best offensive player the league has ever seen and he also was a good penalty killer during his prime...

Denis would not have hit 200 points. Speculate all you want though.

As for Mario, I seem to remember the days when during his prime, and while playing on arguably the greatest team of all-time, he still couldn't hit 200 points let alone 200 assists.

By the way, you want to rag on Wayne for playing on bad teams? Apparently all of his points were late during another Ranger loss? Well what the hell is the difference between that and Mario during the late eighties? The Penguins sure didn't win much then, maybe we should go back and view the tapes to see if he was simply popping in points late during losses and the occasional empty netter.

Also, let's not forget Chooch... Mario scored nearly 40% of his goals on the Powerplay... Couldn't hack it when he faced 5 players could he?

Dr. Moses, not even your finest prescription could get Chooch thinking clearly enough to incorporate logic, courtesy or common decency.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
chooch said:

People always complain that after '87 Gretzky wasnt a goal scorer. He had 62 that year and led the league but never led the league after that. So all of the sudden he cant score goals anymore? He scored 40 the year after in only 64 games. Then 54, 40, 41, 31 and then 16 in the lockout season. Then he had 38 goals in '93-94. At 33 years of age. That's still pretty good goal totals. By the way he had over 100 assists most of those seaosns still. He led the league three times in points after he left the Oilers. He also led the league in assists when he was 37!

Up until his last season when he had 9 goals, he was always a threat to score goals still. His three seasons before that he had 23, 25, and 23 goals. Still not too bad for being past his prime.

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
If you're going to equate a car race to Guy Lafleur, wouldn't you make a parallel to that fateful glassy-eyed moment that his car swerved all over the road, hell bent for that telephone pole with no regard for the safety of the innocent and sober children who might be playing on the street, unaware of the danger headed their way?? I'd say that was as Donington a moment as I can think of :biglaugh:

Hahahaa that's very funny. Seriously get a life kid you're making fun of someone who has a million times the hockey talent you have. Well if you even have any that is...

By the way Chooch Senna's finest lap was great but I still admire more Villeneuve's lap where he finished 11 seconds faster then anybody else.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KOVALEV10 said:
Hahahaa that's very funny. Seriously get a life kid you're making fun of someone who has a million times the hockey talent you have. Well if you even have any that is...

By the way Chooch Senna's finest lap was great but I still admire more Villeneuve's lap where he finished 11 seconds faster then anybody else.

Hi again. Thanks for the continued interest, but as I have tried to express via pm, I am not interested in being more than just friends. I am flattered, but that's it.

Ogopogo*

Big Phil said:
People always complain that after '87 Gretzky wasnt a goal scorer. He had 62 that year and led the league but never led the league after that. So all of the sudden he cant score goals anymore? He scored 40 the year after in only 64 games. Then 54, 40, 41, 31 and then 16 in the lockout season. Then he had 38 goals in '93-94. At 33 years of age. That's still pretty good goal totals. By the way he had over 100 assists most of those seaosns still. He led the league three times in points after he left the Oilers. He also led the league in assists when he was 37!

Up until his last season when he had 9 goals, he was always a threat to score goals still. His three seasons before that he had 23, 25, and 23 goals. Still not too bad for being past his prime.

Wayne CHOSE to be a playmaker. He could have scored more goals but he preferred to set people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad