The year is 2010.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Based on potential they could be very solid players. Now, I always lean more to the "prove you can play in the NHL instead of gettign caught up in the hype game".

Potential:
Carter:
Top 15 center in the NHL, anywhere from 60-80 points a year

Richards:
Solid defensive center, anyehwre from 30-50 points a year

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Based on potential they could be very solid players. Now, I always lean more to the "prove you can play in the NHL instead of gettign caught up in the hype game".

Potential:
Carter:
Top 15 center in the NHL, anywhere from 60-80 points a year

Richards:
Solid defensive center, anyehwre from 30-50 points a year
I think Richards offensive potential is extremely underrated by many. His playmaking skills are simply too good to be limited to 30 points. If he's not a consistant 50 plus point player, i'll be surprised. Jeff's a much better goal scorer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike score a comparable amount of points in the future, especially if both are put on a scoring line. I too think Jeff will be a top 15 center in the league and I think Mike will bring home a few Selke's before all is said and done (many say he's the best penalty killer they've ever seen). As a flyers fan, I wouldn't change either pick, which is very rare 2 years later (I'd certainly consider Bergeron though).

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Gags1288 said:
I think Richards offensive potential is extremely underrated by many. His playmaking skills are simply too good to be limited to 30 points. If he's not a consistant 50 plus point player, i'll be surprised. Jeff's a much better goal scorer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike score a comparable amount of points in the future, especially if both are put on a scoring line. I too think Jeff will be a top 15 center in the league and I think Mike will bring home a few Selke's before all is said and done (many say he's the best penalty killer they've ever seen). As a flyers fan, I wouldn't change either pick, which is very rare 2 years later (I'd certainly consider Bergeron though).

I am unsure of Richards "underrated offense" BUT I agree on his very strong defensive game. Now the thing that makes me say. a max 50 points for Richards is that if his defensive game is so strong he should be used in a shutdown role which will:

#1 - Give him more defensive style linemates.

#2 - Put him on a more defensive line, rather than a scoring role.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I am unsure of Richards "underrated offense" BUT I agree on his very strong defensive game. Now the thing that makes me say. a max 50 points for Richards is that if his defensive game is so strong he should be used in a shutdown role which will:

#1 - Give him more defensive style linemates.

#2 - Put him on a more defensive line, rather than a scoring role.
I'm sure a lot depends on the position that he's put in, but I don't see why he can't be good enough offensively to be a top 2 center. The defense could simply be a bonus. It could be interesting 2 or 3 years down the road to see whether Richards or Handzus is put into the shut down roll, each are very capable of it. I'm sure at points in his career Richards will be on a scoring line and that's why I see him capable of puting up good offensive numbers. At any rate, he'll be an extremely valuable player and the kind of guy that you need to win cups.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
04' hockey said:
How great....or not so great were the Flyers choices from the first round of the 2003 Entry Draft? Just trying to look a little into the future. I've only seen these two in a few Phantoms games. Ever so humbly seeking opinions of knowledgable hockey fans. :dunno:
we will still waiting for them to finnish the last little bit of the cba the deal should be done any day now acording to ekland jr. :)

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
In 2010, the Gagne-Carter-Ryan line (Legion of Doom II?) is the best in the NHL, and Mike Richards is a 55-60 pt. 2nd/3rd line center with a Selke or two. Hey, one can dream, right?

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
I hear you.....

BobMarleyNYR said:
The world won't exist in 2010. :lol:
Bob.....with every Tom, Dick and islamic extremist having access to WHATEVER is available on the O-P-E-N WEAPONS MARKET.....who knows????????????
NHL hockey and the lack thereof may be the least of our worries.
:shakehead
:help:

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I've gone OT politically so many times, and I've gotten in trouble... so my radical political ramblings on HF are over... and I never really should've done it. :sarcasm:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i think jeff carter will be a #1 centre netting a point per game.

richards on the other hand, i see as a #2/3 defensively aware centre, who will play against the other team's top centre and get alot of penalty killing work.

the big difference though, is that in the playoffs i see richards as being the better scorer and clutch player (and wearing the "C").

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
hawker14 said:
i think jeff carter will be a #1 centre netting a point per game.

richards on the other hand, i see as a #2/3 defensively aware centre, who will play against the other team's top centre and get alot of penalty killing work.

the big difference though, is that in the playoffs i see richards as being the better scorer and clutch player (and wearing the "C").

that's about how the Phantoms playoffs went last month once Richards arrived late.....sure is gonna be interesting watching these two develop. ;)

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Then why, when there was a thread "Carter or Richards" were most people picking Richards... have we just gotten punch drunk on character players?

Roger's Pancreas*

BobMarleyNYR said:
Then why, when there was a thread "Carter or Richards" were most people picking Richards... have we just gotten punch drunk on character players?

Not exactly; we're tired of the LeClairs, Thorntons, and Yashins.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gags1288 said:
I'm sure a lot depends on the position that he's put in, but I don't see why he can't be good enough offensively to be a top 2 center. The defense could simply be a bonus. It could be interesting 2 or 3 years down the road to see whether Richards or Handzus is put into the shut down roll, each are very capable of it. I'm sure at points in his career Richards will be on a scoring line and that's why I see him capable of puting up good offensive numbers. At any rate, he'll be an extremely valuable player and the kind of guy that you need to win cups.

If Hitchcock is the coach chance are neither Richards or Handzus will be used in a "shutdown" role. Umberger may be a better bet.

Handzus doesn't skate well enough to match up with most #1 centers, it's th reason he uses Primeau over Handzus in that role.

I'd prefer Richards in a 2nd line all-around center role, and Hitchc would prefer his "shutdown" guy to have more size than Richards.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
mooseOAK said:
They're superstars now, they'll be super-duper stars by then.

If the Leafs sign them, you were going to add, right?

We all know how you feel about them and pretty much anything Flyer related, just like a few Flyer posters and the Leafs, so is there really a need to troll every post about them?

mooseOAK*

paxtang said:
If the Leafs sign them, you were going to add, right?

We all know how you feel about them and pretty much anything Flyer related, just like a few Flyer posters and the Leafs, so is there really a need to troll every post about them?
I don't.

But it is quite hilarious how Flyers fans have Carter penciled in as the number one centre next season.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
mooseOAK said:
I don't.

But it is quite hilarious how Flyers fans have Carter penciled in as the number one centre next season.

You do. You are in nearly any thread that is Flyers postive, just like guys like salzy are in nearly any thread about the Leafs. It's called trolling.

I think most Flyer fans are penciling Carter into having a rookie year much like Gagne's, and being the "1st line" center pretty much by default. I highly doubt he'll get 1st line minutes, Handzus will probably get those.

But whatever, people can specualate all they want. They can say Carter will have a great rookie year. They can say he can bust. But it get's annoying when you come into thread after thread stating how overrated he is, simply based on the fact that he is a Flyer prospect.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
04' hockey said:
Bob.....with every Tom, Dick and islamic extremist having access to WHATEVER is available on the O-P-E-N WEAPONS MARKET.....who knows????????????
NHL hockey and the lack thereof may be the least of our worries.
:shakehead
:help:

Just as long as they do it AFTER the Vancouver Olympics.

mooseOAK*

paxtang said:
You do. You are in nearly any thread that is Flyers postive, just like guys like salzy are in nearly any thread about the Leafs. It's called trolling.

I think most Flyer fans are penciling Carter into having a rookie year much like Gagne's, and being the "1st line" center pretty much by default. I highly doubt he'll get 1st line minutes, Handzus will probably get those.

But whatever, people can specualate all they want. They can say Carter will have a great rookie year. They can say he can bust. But it get's annoying when you come into thread after thread stating how overrated he is, simply based on the fact that he is a Flyer prospect.

Yes, I think that Carter is the most over rated prospect in years and I don't enter thread after thread about him, just every 10th one or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad