News Article: The Wild Prospect Pyramid 2019

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Bitten, Ladoina, Sokolov, and Shaw are too high. Giroux, McBain, and Menell are too low.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bitten, Ladoina, Sokolov, and Shaw are too high. Giroux, McBain, and Menell are too low.

I think Giroux and McBain are appropriately ranked.

Menell might be one too low but there’s not enough there to really make a fuss.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Inspired by Steve Dangles prospect pyramids for the Maple Leaf i decided to have a crack at it for the Wild. What do you all think? Is any of the prospects placed too high or too low?

The 2019 Minnesota Wild prospect pyramid - Overtime Heroics
I like the effort. It’s really tough to rank the prospects after the top two tiers and I generally think you could make an arguement for all your rankings. Thanks for the content!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Giroux and McBain are appropriately ranked.

Menell might be one too low but there’s not enough there to really make a fuss.

They are at least as good as Shaw, Bitten, Sokolov (who posters here seem to be enamored with for some reason), and Ladonia. I see both McBain and Giroux as having a better shot at making it to the NHL than the others.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
At this point you can safely drop FJ to group 6. I'd move soucy and belpedio up JMO.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
They are at least as good as Shaw, Bitten, Sokolov (who posters here seem to be enamored with for some reason), and Ladonia. I see both McBain and Giroux as having a better shot at making it to the NHL than the others.

Don’t get it either. Must be the Russian effect.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
When it comes to Sokolov, I don't think most posters are "enamored" with him as much as we are intrigued by his offensive potential. I would say there is exactly one poster here who is enamored with him.

Thanks for the effort on the article Frederik95.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was very impressed with Robson during almost all his games at the U. I would move him up a tier.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Not going to pick this whole thing apart but Soucy is playing pretty well in the NHL. He should graduate from prospect status this season. Nick Swaney was a top forward on the two-time national champs, and he and Sam Hentges are certainly deserving of a mention, as is current pro Brandon Duhaime.

And the reason I defended Filip Johansson everywhere I could last season was for the reason that I knew we'd see ignorant takes like this. Not scoring a lot of points as a defensive defenseman does not equate to having a terrible season. We'd all like to see more but he was a teenager playing tough minutes in a pro league and playing a big role in getting his team promoted. Who here would put money on Vladislav Firstov having a better professional career than Andrei Svetlakov?

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
Boldy and Warren are at Boston College not Boston University, no?
My mistake on that one. Coming from Denmark the NCAA sometimes gets somewhat tangled and mixed up. Well spotted btw!

What i like about Sokolov is the numbers he had in the juniors, but he needs to show that it translate to the pros. So far it havent.
Tier four is a little bit of an odd tier. Its a tier where the players in it, has to start to figure out what the role will be. Almost a transition tier. If they arent preforming this season, they are going down next year. For McBain and Giroux i will admit i might have underestimated them. Especially with how they done the first few weeks of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Sokolov can still score in the AHL, but obviously the coaches sthink he needs to work on other things.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Sokolov can still score in the AHL, but obviously the coaches sthink he needs to work on other things.

Sokolov has a NHL shot, but is less interested than Vanek in crossing the blueline into the def zone. At least that was what I remember from watching him a few times.

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
Not going to pick this whole thing apart but Soucy is playing pretty well in the NHL. He should graduate from prospect status this season. Nick Swaney was a top forward on the two-time national champs, and he and Sam Hentges are certainly deserving of a mention, as is current pro Brandon Duhaime.

And the reason I defended Filip Johansson everywhere I could last season was for the reason that I knew we'd see ignorant takes like this. Not scoring a lot of points as a defensive defenseman does not equate to having a terrible season. We'd all like to see more but he was a teenager playing tough minutes in a pro league and playing a big role in getting his team promoted. Who here would put money on Vladislav Firstov having a better professional career than Andrei Svetlakov?
Absolutely able to see your point. I will say i forgot to add Brandon Duhaime to the tiers. Had him in tier 5 but i must have forgotten to put him as i was writting the list. The others i was contemplating but having not watched them too much and video being somewhat hard to find, i put them in tier 6.

I want Filip to work. I really do, but i see him fairly often when i watch the SHL games in Denmark, and saw a lot of the Allsvenskan last year due to a bit of scouting work for the site. But he never stood out and im not just talking about his production. He was too inconsistant. Sometimes he was great defensively, and the next shift he would turn it over. But he is a defensive defenseman and stats on eliteprospect goes out the window with those. I just want him to be more dominate in his defensive aspects. Having him play against pros in the SHL will be good for him and it hopefully can help him, but he has to find his footing fast.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I will say, most of the people who pop in to post an article don't usually put in any real time/effort in researching the Wild or their prospects, so it's actually refreshing to see one posted where real thought went into it.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
Thank you for the kind words. Its really nice to have found a way to talk with fellow fans abut the ins and outs of the team. And enjoying talking about hockey in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad