173 Hamilton Dave Lowry LW
174 Detroit Craig Anderson G
175 Halifax Landon Wilson RW
176 Québec Benoit Dusablon C

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
TomasPlekanec said:
Hey this isn't Florida, It's Québec!! Where hockey lives and will lives forever! People will pay $60 to see the Nordiks if the Habs ain't playing, just as simple as that. A lot of people here in Québec like hockey in general but doesn't follow the Canadiens because they live in Québec and they are loyal Nordiques fans, this is the oppurtunity for them to get to the arena and cheer for a pro hockey team. There's not a lot of people who cares about the Q damnnit, It's a junior league!

Hey at least we have 2 NHL teams. Québec who?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know why people aren't more open-minded with the WHA. Sure, it's probably just a flash-in-the-pan but it could be fun to see it do well. And the NHL WOULD BENEFIT from even a little competition, that's for sure. Give it time, at least.

As for Tucker's rant about Quebec, I am not sure if you're old enough to remember the Quebec Nordiques but they had MORE than just local players on their roster. They had the foresight to bring over all 3 Stastny brothers, and later did a nice job of bringing in Russian players like Kamensky, Kovalenko, Gusarov and Mylnikov...obviously some panned out better than others. Also, Joe Sakic became a demi-God in the province despite his B.C. background, Swedes Mats Sundin and Peter Forsberg were also appreciated for their talent, and EVEN Ontario boys like Adam Foote and Owen Nolan became Nordiques--imagine that. If you look at the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts, they have boasted several english-speaking and American players (like Josh Hennessy, for example) over the years.

In fact, EVEN Eric Lindros would have become a star in the capital of Quebec, because people in Quebec just want stars to call their own. Besides, how come every big star who emanates from the province of Ontario is rumored to be on the Toronto Maple Leafs' radar? Lindros, Thornton, obviously Roberts, Nieuwendyk et al. Having a local flavor to your roster is not restricted to being a Quebec thing. It's the nature of pro sports, and it's not bad business if you ask me.

So, not sure what your beef was with regards to the WHA's Quebec entry selecting Quebec players but it doesn't hold a lot of water. The purpose of the WHA draft is to select players whom you THINK might want to take a chance with your fledgling league. How is drafting local guys a bad thing? It's a LONG way before these teams have to start thinking about winning hockey games, division titles, the overall championship, etc. Right now, it's all about gaining momentum and interest in the league, and putting fannies in the seats.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
Hey at least we have 2 NHL teams. Québec who?

I have nothing against Florida but come on, you can't compare hockey in Florida to hockey anywhere in Canada. Just look at what happened in the Stanley Cup Finals when there were more fans waiting for the Flames'arrival after they loss than people at the Bolts'party.... You might have nhl teams, but there is no way Florida is a better hockey land than Québec City or Winipeg... The Nordiques were last in the elague for three yeras and still, there weren't many empty seats in Le Colisée... Not very comparable to what is currently happening in numerous southern states of the US....

Tucker316*

Jag68Vlady27 said:
I don't know why people aren't more open-minded with the WHA. Sure, it's probably just a flash-in-the-pan but it could be fun to see it do well. And the NHL WOULD BENEFIT from even a little competition, that's for sure. Give it time, at least.

As for Tucker's rant about Quebec, I am not sure if you're old enough to remember the Quebec Nordiques but they had MORE than just local players on their roster. They had the foresight to bring over all 3 Stastny brothers, and later did a nice job of bringing in Russian players like Kamensky, Kovalenko, Gusarov and Mylnikov...obviously some panned out better than others. Also, Joe Sakic became a demi-God in the province despite his B.C. background, Swedes Mats Sundin and Peter Forsberg were also appreciated for their talent, and EVEN Ontario boys like Adam Foote and Owen Nolan became Nordiques--imagine that. If you look at the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts, they have boasted several english-speaking and American players (like Josh Hennessy, for example) over the years.

In fact, EVEN Eric Lindros would have become a star in the capital of Quebec, because people in Quebec just want stars to call their own. Besides, how come every big star who emanates from the province of Ontario is rumored to be on the Toronto Maple Leafs' radar? Lindros, Thornton, obviously Roberts, Nieuwendyk et al. Having a local flavor to your roster is not restricted to being a Quebec thing. It's the nature of pro sports, and it's not bad business if you ask me.

So, not sure what your beef was with regards to the WHA's Quebec entry selecting Quebec players but it doesn't hold a lot of water. The purpose of the WHA draft is to select players whom you THINK might want to take a chance with your fledgling league. How is drafting local guys a bad thing? It's a LONG way before these teams have to start thinking about winning hockey games, division titles, the overall championship, etc. Right now, it's all about gaining momentum and interest in the league, and putting fannies in the seats.

I'm 24. So yeah, I know about the nordiques quite well thank you. All I'm saying is quebec has this complex with taking french players. That's all I'm saying.
**** the french media complains when gainey gets rid of the crap which just happens to be most of the french floaters. Bout time we got a guy who doesn't buckle down under pressure.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I think we should keep it about the WHA draft because it's starting to get off-topic...

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Tucker316 said:

I'm 24. So yeah, I know about the nordiques quite well thank you. All I'm saying is quebec has this complex with taking french players. That's all I'm saying.
**** the french media complains when gainey gets rid of the crap which just happens to be most of the french floaters. Bout time we got a guy who doesn't buckle down under pressure.
I understand your point but I don't know how selecting local guys is a complex....
It happens everywhere, in every sports, even in the NBA and NFL, where teams like to get players whom played college football or b-ball in the same state (ex : Houston going after Aaron gleen (texas) and also, at some point, Memphis wanted to acquire Penny Hardaway 2 years ago in a deal involving Swift, simply because Penny was such a huge star in memphis ...). BTW, you should notice that it is not only a question of getting french players but Quebecers... Guys like Stock(West Island) and Reid (Kirkland) where selected early by the Nordiks. It's a french thing, simply a team looking for players who will represent their province. Local boys might be tempted to play home and that's just a good point since many players could leave for Europe ...

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
hab 4ever said:
I have nothing against Florida but come on, you can't compare hockey in Florida to hockey anywhere in Canada. Just look at what happened in the Stanley Cup Finals when there were more fans waiting for the Flames'arrival after they loss than people at the Bolts'party.... You might have nhl teams, but there is no way Florida is a better hockey land than Québec City or Winipeg... The Nordiques were last in the elague for three yeras and still, there weren't many empty seats in Le Colisée... Not very comparable to what is currently happening in numerous southern states of the US....

I'm not saying Florida is a better hockey land cause it's not. Hockey is Canada's sport, i'm just tired of how hockey in Florida is always bad mouthed. Some of us are actual hockey fans down here.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
I'm not saying Florida is a better hockey land cause it's not. Hockey is Canada's sport, i'm just tired of how hockey in Florida is always bad mouthed. Some of us are actual hockey fans down here.

Yeah and a lot of you are good fans, but there are also a large majority of fairweather fans.

You cant expect to be taken seriously when some CHL teams out draw the Panthers.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
JWI19 said:
I think it was a smart move for Detroit. If Heatley wants to play hockey and be able to deal with his off the ice problems a flight from Detroit to Atlanta is only a couple of hours. I doubt he wants oversea if this thing goes to court.

As for Perezhogin, hey it might be the only place in North America he can play.
I would think Perezhogin would rather play back home under the circumstances.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It would have been more productive for the WHA to skip the free agent draft and leave these players as free agents; free to negotiate and sign with any team. A league with no players shouldn't be putting up barriers. The entry draft makes sense, but this free agent draft is foolish.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Buffaloed said:
It would have been more productive for the WHA to skip the free agent draft and leave these players as free agents; free to negotiate and sign with any team. A league with no players shouldn't be putting up barriers. The entry draft makes sense, but this free agent draft is foolish.

I think they've already done that, and somewhere in the bowels of this draft are a few guys they'll actually sign. Michael Henrich and Scott Ferguson from the Oilers system are certainly candidates, and there are many others.

The other thing of course is that the WHA got publicity from today's draft, and that is more important than anyone actually taken today.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
La-La-Laprise said:
Yeah and a lot of you are good fans, but there are also a large majority of fairweather fans.

You cant expect to be taken seriously when some CHL teams out draw the Panthers.

I disagree with that last statement. Taking ticket prices and performance into account, those CHL teams that outdrew the Panthers last year were definitely offering better bang for the buck. And that's the bottom line, here. Sports is still entertainment to the fan, first and foremost.

What exactly did Panthers fans have to cheer about last year? To see whether or not Luongo got killed on the ice by flying galvanized rubber? To see whether or not Mike Keenan and Rick Dudley would be placed in an octogon, winner take all???

In pro sports, you have to win. In relatively new markets, where other events take away from the fan's entertainment dollars, it's even more critical. The Panthers have been badly run for several years now, so it's hard to put the blame on fans for staying away.

Funny how Central Florida used to have the same problems just a little while ago.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I disagree with that last statement. Taking ticket prices and performance into account, those CHL teams that outdrew the Panthers last year were definitely offering better bang for the buck. And that's the bottom line, here. Sports is still entertainment to the fan, first and foremost.

What exactly did Panthers fans have to cheer about last year? To see whether or not Luongo got killed on the ice by flying galvanized rubber? To see whether or not Mike Keenan and Rick Dudley would be placed in an octogon, winner take all???

In pro sports, you have to win. In relatively new markets, where other events take away from the fan's entertainment dollars, it's even more critical. The Panthers have been badly run for several years now, so it's hard to put the blame on fans for staying away.

Funny how Central Florida used to have the same problems just a little while ago.
That is exactly what i mean by fairweather. TRUE hockey cities support their team No matter how bad they suck.

I am not harping on the Panthers or anything, i dont care if there are only 9000 people there a night but you cant be classified as a true hockey area until you follow your team regardless of how well they do.

I dont want to stir up a debate.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
ROUND 23
SEL TEAM NAME
POS
177 Québec Steve Brule RW
178 Halifax Martin Soonnberg LW
179 Detroit Ryan Ready LW
180 Hamilton Pascal Rheume C
181 Toronto Bates Battaglia LW
182 Founders' Sean Pronger C/LW
183 Dallas Tom Lawson G
184 Florida Mikhail Kuleshov LW
ROUND 24 SEL TEAM NAME
POS
185 Florida Gord Dwyer LW
186 Dallas Curtis Foster D
187 Founders' Mathieu Chouinrd G
188 Toronto Brendan Witt D
189 Hamilton Andreas Lilja D
190 Detroit Chris Hartsberg RW
191 Halifax Chris Taylor C
192 Québec Marc-Andre Bergeron D
ROUND 25
SEL TEAM NAME
POS
193 Québec Daniel Corso LW
194 Halifax Eric Healey LW
195 Detroit Ted Drury C
196 Hamilton Travis Brigley LW
197 Toronto Sandy McCarthy RW
198 Founders' Ray Schultz D
199 Dallas Mike Mottau D
200 Florida Jason Wiemer LW
ROUND 26 SEL TEAM NAME
POS
201 Florida Steven Webb RW
202 Dallas Brian Lundbohm C/LW
203 Founders' Mike Picard LW
204 Toronto Jamie Hodson (TRADED) G
205 Hamilton Dan Blackburn G
206 Detroit Bubba Berenzweig D
207 Halifax Paul Healey RW
208 Québec Frederick Cloutier RW
ROUND 27
SEL TEAM NAME
POS
209 Québec Damion Surma LW
210 Halifax Ken Belanger LW
211 Detroit Craig Nills LW
212 Hamilton Michel Grosek RW
213 Toronto John Tripp RW
214 Founders' Steve Gainey LW
215 Dallas Kyle Vanwig RW
216 Florida Bill Lindsay LW
ROUND 28 SEL TEAM NAME
POS
217 Florida Bill Muckalt RW
218 Dallas Scott Barney C
219 Founders' Kevin Dallman D
220 Toronto Jason Chimera LW
221 Hamilton Mike Farrell D
222 Detroit Patrick Traverse D
223 Halifax Scott Clemmenson G
224 Québec Guillaume Lefebvre LW
ROUND 29
SEL TEAM NAME
POS
225 Québec Sylvain Blouin LW
226 Halifax Alex Henry D
227 Detroit Serge Payer C
228 Hamilton Bobby Allen D
229 Toronto Nathan Smith C
230 Founders' Steve McLaren D
231 Dallas Todd Harvey RW
232 Florida Andre Roy LW
ROUND 30 SEL TEAM NAME
POS
233 Florida Paul Elliott D
234 Dallas Scott Parker RW
235 Founders' Jeff Paul D
236 Toronto James Patrick D
237 Hamilton Dan McLean C
238 Detroit Mike Brown LW
239 Halifax Brad Moran C
240 Québec Ramzi Adid LW

Last edited:

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Im very surprised that quebec didn't select nhl stars like Tangay, Lecavalier, Ribeiro

Or Quebec city native like Eric Chouinard, Patrice Bergeron, Alexanre Picard, Steve Bernier, M-A Pouliot, Dany Roussin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad