Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
DA was just on 9NEWS and said that she was clearly injured and clearly had physical bruises. They just did not have enough details to convict (i.e. place people at certain times and certain places) and it sounded like she said some things happened that originally she had omitted.

Crazy case. We'll never know what happened. The girl seems to be so much all over the place to her detriment.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I'm sure the DA is going around emphasizing these things because a dropped case is a loss for them so they are managing the message. They can say what they want but its not consistent with how the case has unfolded. I agree we'll never know what happened but I'm not buying the message.

I guess what my point is they never should have charged Varly. Arrest ok, if their hand was forced based on the statements given and any evidence, if there was any. I understand the whole protect women and enforce DV standards, take a stand against giving free passes to high proile athletes and all that. But they had a month to investigate and consider the facts before moving forward with the case. I refuse to believe the evidence and case has significantly changed in the last three weeks that wasn't already evident in their month long investigation. That's the whole part of the process that I don't agree with. They made a spectacle out of Varly when it didn't need to be. Did you guys see that photo of him in court with dozens of cameras inches from him? They dropped the kidnapping charge because they couldn't prove it, well clearly they could never prove any of it. So they had to drag this out a month longer than they needed to for what?

Last edited:

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
That "we just couldn't prove it" comment is just to save their faces. I'm relieved this is over and I was confident it would turn out well for Varly sooner or later because he took it so well. If he was guilty you would have noticed something was weird about him.

Maybe I'm cold but the girl looked just fine when I saw the first interview so I don't even care what really happened. Yes, I'm super biased.

I hope nothing bad happens to the girl after this. She had every right to do this and she should not be punished for her actions by angry Varly fans.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That "we just couldn't prove it" comment is just to save their faces. I'm relieved this is over and I was confident it would turn out well for Varly sooner or later because he took it so well. If he was guilty you would have noticed something was weird about him.

Maybe I'm cold but the girl looked just fine when I saw the first interview so I don't even care what really happened. Yes, I'm super biased.

I hope nothing bad happens to the girl after this. She had every right to do this and she should not be punished for her actions by angry Varly fans.
I'm hoping for her sake she does not have to go back to Russia. I imagine she would not be well received.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The DA going to the media and implying things after being forced to drop the case is attempting to claim moral victory. Hit the posts a few times but couldn't get anything past Varlamovs lawyer.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Not at all pleased with how this was handled, but I'm glad it's over and done with. At this point nobody can really say one way or the other unless Varlamov comes forth and admits to harming this girl so I'm in agreement with the other poster in that if you have a month to press charges you better have a case to do so or you're just dragging this man's name through the mud.

Good luck moving forward Avs', I hope you guys make the playoffs this season under Roy and continue improving. Even though I'm a Jet's fan and would love my team to make it too :)

ignorotic

Oct 8, 2011
Denver CO

Agreed. I hope nothing awful happened, but the way she handled the entire situation, and the rumors from Russia made the whole thing seem...odd and insincere. She did more to discredit herself than Varly or his lawyers could have done.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Earlier, I was sensitive to using sports bias as a reason to believe Varlamov was innocent. Now that it is over, I'm seeing a lot of sports bias being used as a reason to believe that he's really guilty.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I am so glad Varly can put all this behind him now, the sooner the better. It is a bit sad he never got his side of the story out there so when the media tacks on this update to their existing story it has all the ridiculous claims her camp put out and then "oh by the way charges were dropped". Just like the 9news story I linked here. All that matters is the situation is over but it is a shame his character has been defamed forever and he never got a rebuttal.

I think that helped. You had the girl putting the story out and flaunting herself on every news channel and paper that would listen, Varlamov just got on with things. The more information that came out from the girl's side, the less people believed her.

- I meant to quote another post, but I agree with whoever said that he shouldn't sue the DP or anything. He'll want to move on, and he should. Just put it all behind him.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013

Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson are still alive. I think she'll fade back into obscurity just fine.

Happy for Varly. Not upset at all with how this was handled. DA thought they had the case, and then realized they didnt and backed out. Props to them instead of trying to force it and maybe getting him wrongfully convincted.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Like I said, DV is a girls ultimate weapon against a guy. It was pretty clear to me this girl was faking it and looking for money and a way to stay in the country.

Not to mention a little insider info for you all, her attorney was doing some really shady things like renting her an apartment. This is ethically wrong and should get him disbarred but it won't because no one will rat him out. I know this because he rented it from one of our clients. [MOD EDIT]

Glad Varly got some justice, he didn't deserve this and this will still follow him around fair or not. And like someone else said props to the DA for handling it well and not forcing a case that just wasn't there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Like I said, DV is a girls ultimate weapon against a guy. It was pretty clear to me this girl was faking it and looking for money and a way to stay in the country.

Not to mention a little insider info for you all, her attorney was doing some really shady things like renting her an apartment. This is ethically wrong and should get him disbarred but it won't because no one will rat him out. I know this because he rented it from one of our clients. [MOD EDIT]

Glad Varly got some justice, he didn't deserve this and this will still follow him around fair or not. And like someone else said props to the DA for handling it well and not forcing a case that just wasn't there.

I don't understand what's wrong with that?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don't either - the girl had no money and place to live apparently.

It's like taking Cousin Eddie into the family. If I had enough money to rent an apartment for him instead, I take that route every time. If he doesn't rent the apt for her, he has media on his front lawn every day. Don't think that would go over with the fam. If anything, the lawyer was somewhat distancing himself from her by renting the apt.

I dunno - physical evidence was apparently there in this case, but witnesses and stories were not. This girl was such a hot mess it ruined her case entirely. I wonder what will happen to her in the future.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I don't either - the girl had no money and place to live apparently.

It's like taking Cousin Eddie into the family. If I had enough money to rent an apartment for him instead, I take that route every time. If he doesn't rent the apt for her, he has media on his front lawn every day. Don't think that would go over with the fam. If anything, the lawyer was somewhat distancing himself from her by renting the apt.

I dunno - physical evidence was apparently there in this case, but witnesses and stories were not. This girl was such a hot mess it ruined her case entirely. I wonder what will happen to her in the future.

But there are many ways to get bruises. I've had hundreds, but I've never been assaulted.

I don't think the DA's case and evidence were any worse than it was when he was charged; I think once they started interviewing people, it became obvious that she was going to, um, not come across well to a jury.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
But there are many ways to get bruises. I've had hundreds, but I've never been assaulted.

I don't think the DA's case and evidence were any worse than it was when he was charged; I think once they started interviewing people, it became obvious that she was going to, um, not come across well to a jury.

Very true and I totally believe that's what happened as well.

I want to know now if they are legally obligated to release the details of the case at some point to the media outlets. I'd be curious to hear what the medical exam was like.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Very true and I totally believe that's what happened as well.

I want to know now if they are legally obligated to release the details of the case at some point to the media outlets. I'd be curious to hear what the medical exam was like.

I would think details of the medical exam would be protected under HIPAA...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Abiding by codes of ethics is something lawyers take very seriously. They are bound by rules to insure ethical and good practice.

My lawyer friend has three basic rules...
1) Get the money up front
2) If anyone goes to jail, make sure it's not yourself
3) Get the money up front

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013

We should go get some wet logs and start piling them up for a witch burning...

Just because there was no conviction, that doesn't mean nothing happened.

I mean, unless any of us were there, is it really fair to damn either varly or the woman? Thats some reverse main board sentiment.

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
Earlier, I was sensitive to using sports bias as a reason to believe Varlamov was innocent. Now that it is over, I'm seeing a lot of sports bias being used as a reason to believe that he's really guilty.

The bias works both ways. A high profile sports figure will never be actually convicted of an abuse charge, but they will always be treated like they were for sure guilty regardless of what actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad