The utter disgrace of the prioty the org has put on goaltending...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Since 2005, drafting goalies, top 3 round picks used:

Anahiem: 3,2,3
Boston: 3,1,3
Buffalo: 3,2
Calgary: 2,3,1
Carolina: 2,3
Chicago: 2,3
Colorado: 3,2,2,2
Columbus: 3,2,3,3
Dallas: 2,1,2
Detroit: 3,1,3
Florida: 3,3,3
LA: 2,1,3
Min: 3,3
Mont: 2,1
Nash: 2,1,2
NJ: 2,3,2
NYI: 3,3,2,3
NYR: 2,2
Ott: 3,3,2
Phi: 3,3,2,3,3
Arizona: 1,3,2,2,3
Pitt: 2,3
SJ: 3,3,3
Stl: 3,2,3
TB: 1,1
Tor: 1
Van: 2,3
Wash: 1,2,1,2
Win: 2,2

Oilers: 3 (Perhonen)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Henrik Lundqvist, 7th round pick.

Also Arizona still relies on Mike Smith despite all those picks used.

Just like with every player and every round you significantly increase the odds of getting a quality player the higher the round they are picked and the more picks used.

The oilers theory seems to be what you just sated, oh they got linduist in the 7th so we will take Kevin freaking Bouchard or zack noogaevort in the late rounds!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^but isn't it "funny" guys that Dubnyk appears to have the most success out of any of the Oilers goalie picks and Lowe and behold, he was taken in the mid 1st round! the Oilers need to stop being so chicken and start taking a goalie at least in the 2nd round and see if they can find another say John Gibson?

and i know goalies are "voodoo" and all that and that we have just as good a chance to find a #1 starter in the 6th round as we do in the 1st round, but ask yourself this....have the Oilers had much success with their goalies taken in the mid to late rounds? maybe it's time to take a chance on a goalie in the mid 1st on down to the bottom of the 2nd and see if we can find a #1 there because the other way just isn't working!

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
^but isn't it "funny" guys that Dubnyk appears to have the most success out of any of the Oilers goalie picks and Lowe and behold, he was taken in the mid 1st round! the Oilers need to stop being so chicken and start taking a goalie at least in the 2nd round and see if they can find another say John Gibson?

and i know goalies are "voodoo" and all that and that we have just as good a chance to find a #1 starter in the 6th round as we do in the 1st round, but ask yourself this....have the Oilers had much success with their goalies taken in the mid to late rounds? maybe it's time to take a chance on a goalie in the mid 1st on down to the bottom of the 2nd and see if we can find a #1 there because the other way just isn't working!

I have no problem taking a goalie in the 2nd or 3rd round.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Goalies are such a crapshoot. Unless there is a slam dunk in Luongo, Price. I have no problem them not blowing a pick on a goalie and getting one through free agency or a trade later.

Takes forever to develop as well.

they should have just taken a chance and taken Ilya Samsonov with the #16 pick in this past draft. if that every time you look at Griffin Reinhart if Ilya turns out to be a #1 goalie for the Caps. then you'll know why the Oilers never have any success drafting goalies.

boosterjuice

Sep 24, 2008
This is one area of drafting that the oilers have right. You can't waste your higher picks on goalies. They take so long to develop. By the time they get close to developing, they'll be approaching their UFA years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just like with every player and every round you significantly increase the odds of getting a quality player the higher the round they are picked and the more picks used.

The oilers theory seems to be what you just sated, oh they got linduist in the 7th so we will take Kevin freaking Bouchard or zack noogaevort in the late rounds!

You're relying on Oilers drafting and development to do its job. When was the last time the Oilers successfully drafted, developed and maintained a goalie?

Grant Fuhr?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Or maybe they could have traded for or signed a proven NHL starter. It's not like there were none available. Niemi was available for free, Luongo could have been had for peanuts.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
Or maybe they could have traded for or signed a proven NHL starter. It's not like there were none available. Niemi was available for free, Luongo could have been had for peanuts.

Your point stands with regards to going after a proven starter, but Luongo had a NTC which he wasn't waiving to come to Edm.
Neuvirth was who I would have liked.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thing is, it's not necessarily about taking a goalie early. It's about making good bets when they present themselves, something this team hasn't been doing. In the 2014 draft finnish goalie Ville Husso was still available when our 4th round pick rolled around. I wanted him badly but instead we opted to go for William Lagesson, another LHD who projects as a bottom-pairing d-man. Why would you do that? We already had a lot of LHD prospects with limited upside and pretty much no good goaltending prospects. Makes no sense to me. Even if they hadn't opted for Husso, fellow finn Kaapo Kähkönen was also available.

Their numbers this year:

Ville Husso - HIFK, Liiga 17 GP, 1.92 GAA, .931 SVS%
Kaapo Kähkönen - Blues, Liiga 13 GP, 2.05 GAA, .928 SVS%

Last summer Veini Vehviläinen went undrafted for no good reason. We could have easily scooped him up with one of our late round picks. Or perhaps used our 6th rounder on Joel Daccord which is a goalie I'm quite high on.

Veini Vehviläinen - JYP, Liiga, 11 GP, 1.99 GAA, .929 SVS%
Joel Daccord - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL, 14 GP, 2.34 GAA, .913 SVS%

There are many good goalies available every year but for some reason this team just doesn't know how to get one, or even develop one for that matter. Seems to me we need to bring in some legit goalie coaches and goalie scouts even.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
This is one area of drafting that the oilers have right. You can't waste your higher picks on goalies. They take so long to develop. By the time they get close to developing, they'll be approaching their UFA years.

I agree with this. The best goalie in the system by far was one they traded for, and he is a 6th round pick anyways.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
To me this is like putting the carriage before the horse. We don't even have a horse yet, what's the point of the carriage.

Once we have a #1 goalie that can be relied on for more than 10 games to be a #1. Someone who will prove to be a #1 for more than 1 year, then we can use these higher picks for future possiblities. As it stands, and has stood for 10 years now, we do not have a reliable #1 goalie to support the notion of drafting them any higher than maybe 3rd or 4th. Mainly due to the time it takes to develop a "maybe".

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Vasielvsky
Gibson
Allen
Bernier
Varalamov
Nuevirth
Enhorth
Mason
Price
Rask
Pavlece
Quick
Bishop

Not all great, not all stars but guys that have at least played to some extent.

Every other team in the league, even ones with start tedners, young star tenders, already have some prospects have drafted goalies higher than we have.

Currently our one and only decent looking prospect is a 6th rounder we traded for.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Since 2005, drafting goalies, top 3 round picks used:

Anaheim: 3 (Frederik Andersen*), 2 (John Gibson*), 3 (Igor Bobkov), 3 (Marco Cousineau)
Boston: 3 (Dan Vladar), 1 (Malcolm Subban), 3 (Michael Hutchinson*)
Buffalo: 3 (Jonas Johansson ), 2 (Jhonas Enroth*)
Calgary: 2 (Mason McDonald), 3 (John Gillies), 1 (Leland Irving)
Carolina: 2 (Alex Nedeljkovic), 3 (Daniel Altshuller)
Chicago: 2 (Kent Simpson), 3 (Josh Unice)
Colorado: 3 (Spencer Martin), 2 (Calvin Pickard*), 2 (Peter Delmas), 2 (Trevor Cann)
Columbus: 3 (Elvis Merzlikins), 3 (Joonas Korpisalo), 2 (Oscar Dansk), 3 (Steve Mason*)
Dallas: 2 (Philippe Desrosiers), 1 (Jack Campbell), 2 (Tyler Beskorowany)
Detroit: 3 (Jake Paterson), 1 (Tom McCallum), 3 (Daniel Larsson)
Florida: 3 (Samuel Montembeault), 2 (Jacob Markström*), 2 (Tyler Plante)
LA: 3 (Christopher Gibson), 3 (Jeff Zatkoff*), 1 (Jonathan Bernier*), 3 (Jonathan Quick*)
Min: 3 (Matt Hackett), 3 (Kristofer Westblom)
Mont: 2 (Zachary Fucale), 1 (Carey Price*)
Nash: 2 (Magnus Hellberg), 1 (Chet Pickard), 2 (Jeremy Smith)
NJ: 2 (MacKenzie Blackwood), 3 (Scot Wedgewood), 2 (Jeff Frazee)
NYI: 3 (Ilya Sorokin), 3 (Eamon McAdam), 2 (Mikko Koskinen), 3 (Anders Nilsson*)
NYR: 2 (Brandon Halverson), 2 (Antoine Lafleur)
Ott: 3 (Marcus Hogberg), 3 (Chris Driedger) , 2 (Robin Lehner)
Phi: 3 (Matej Tomek), 3 (Felix Sandstrom), 2 (Anthony Stolarz) , 3 (Adam Morrison), 3 (Jacob Deserres)
Arizona: 3 (Adin Hill), 1 (Mark Visentin), 3 (Michael Lee), 2 (Joel Gistedt), 2 (Pierre-Oliver Pelletier)
Pitt: 2 (Tristan Jarry), 3 (Matthew Murray)
SJ: 3 (Mike Robinson), 3 (Tyson Sexsmith), 3 (Timo Pielmeier)
Stl: 3 (Jordan Binnington), 2 (Jake Allen*), 3 (Ben Bishop*)
TB: 1 (Andrej Vasilevskiy*), 1 (Riku Helenius)
Tor: 1 (Tuukka Rask*)
Van: 2 (Thatcher Demko), 3 (David Honzik)
Wash: 1 (Ilya Samsonov), 2 (Vitek Vanecek), 1 (Semyon Varlamov*), 2 (Michal Neuvirth*)
Win: 2 (Eric Comrie), 2 (Ondrej Pavelec*)

Oilers: 3 (Perhonen)

Added the goalies, * denotes currently in the NHL
Some numbers were off though. Anaheim had 3,2,3,3 instead of 3,2,3; Florida 3,2,2 instead of 3,3,3; LA 3,3,1,3 instead of 2,1,3;

McDeathbyCheerios*

Added the goalies, * denotes currently in the NHL
Some numbers were off though. Anaheim had 3,2,3,3 instead of 3,2,3; Florida 3,2,2 instead of 3,3,3; LA 3,3,1,3 instead of 2,1,3;
So basically a couple teams have had success the rest yuck

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thing is, it's not necessarily about taking a goalie early. It's about making good bets when they present themselves, something this team hasn't been doing. In the 2014 draft finnish goalie Ville Husso was still available when our 4th round pick rolled around. I wanted him badly but instead we opted to go for William Lagesson, another LHD who projects as a bottom-pairing d-man. Why would you do that? We already had a lot of LHD prospects with limited upside and pretty much no good goaltending prospects. Makes no sense to me. Even if they hadn't opted for Husso, fellow finn Kaapo Kähkönen was also available.

Their numbers this year:

Ville Husso - HIFK, Liiga 17 GP, 1.92 GAA, .931 SVS%
Kaapo Kähkönen - Blues, Liiga 13 GP, 2.05 GAA, .928 SVS%

Last summer Veini Vehviläinen went undrafted for no good reason. We could have easily scooped him up with one of our late round picks. Or perhaps used our 6th rounder on Joel Daccord which is a goalie I'm quite high on.

Veini Vehviläinen - JYP, Liiga, 11 GP, 1.99 GAA, .929 SVS%
Joel Daccord - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL, 14 GP, 2.34 GAA, .913 SVS%

There are many good goalies available every year but for some reason this team just doesn't know how to get one, or even develop one for that matter. Seems to me we need to bring in some legit goalie coaches and goalie scouts even.

100% agree with this.

Similar to your observation was the 2nd round of 2013 Draft. MacT traded down mutiple times from 37 all the way down to 56 to take Marco Roy because he didn't get Fucale.

He passed on Tristan Jarry (WHL Champion, Memorial Cup winner), Philippe Desrosiers (Top QMJHL goalie in his draft year) & Eric Comrie (Top WHL goalie).

At the end of the 2013 draft, the oilers took 10 players. None of them were goalies.

Critical error imo even though the Oilers did well with most of their picks in 2013.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Your point stands with regards to going after a proven starter, but Luongo had a NTC which he wasn't waiving to come to Edm.
Neuvirth was who I would have liked.

Reports were that EDM was one of the teams he wanted to go to since they were his favorite team growing up. VAN just wanted to get his contract off the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad