The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Weircoch looked absolutely exhausted in OT

Both Holm and Subban left the game due to injuries about midway through the game.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets loose In ot with 7 seconds remaining when a puck is banked in off of a skate......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They took some extra steps to keep people from just wandering in and out of the building.. apparently some money was stolen at some point last year, do not remember the particulars..

So you are saying the Comets will not allow anyone to watch practices while all the other pro teams including the parent Canucks do? I observed practices for 4 seasons under Travis and was welcomed as were many other folks. This is ridiculous. Lock up the rest of the building. Just leave access into the arena. This is not rocket science.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Easy BG

thats-the-way-she-goes-boys-the-way-she-goes.jpg

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
So you are saying the Comets will not allow anyone to watch practices while all the other pro teams including the parent Canucks do? I observed practices for 4 seasons under Travis and was welcomed as were many other folks. This is ridiculous. Lock up the rest of the building. Just leave access into the arena. This is not rocket science.
I looked back through the aud authority minutes ad it was very vaguely said that during to recent actions there is a need to improve security in and around the building and they went into talking about security cameras ect.

I have never had a problem getting into the building, but I don't use the lobby entrances......

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Game night, rematch in Bridgeport. Not sure who is playing defense but Cederholm and Stewart may both be dressed....

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets tie it up in the last minute and win in a shootout. Demko steals a game......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets steal one in shootout.

The Demko Comets 2-1 over Bridgeport.

Outshot 33 to 22 including a nearly 7-minute shooting gallery in the third during which the Comets had trouble even touching the puck and their best effort was to clear the zone after which the Tigers came right back in and kept it up. Demko finally made a save freezing the puck and then, IMO, faked an injury bringing the trainer out and giving himself and the Comets a much needed breather.

LaBate at 19:41. Carcone the winner in the 5th round of the shootout. Boucher scored in round 2 as did Tanner Fritz for the Tigers. Demko stopped 4/5.

Want to hear something ridiculous? Demko did not receive a star from the Bridgeport selection idiots.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
So...is it safe to say Ryan Johnson hasn't been a very effective GM for Utica?
i do not know who he is, what he looks like, or what he does....... dont think he has ever been interviwed by the media, not even sure if he is in Utica, Vancouver or somewhere in between..... what exactly does this person do???????

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So...is it safe to say Ryan Johnson hasn't been a very effective GM for Utica?

More than safe. As "go comets" has stated we have never seen this guy. Henning was in the glass box at the top of the Aud for most of the Comets' games. He always tried to fill the gaps he noted the Comets were missing and players were found. We know Benning did nothing of the sort for the next 2 seasons after firing Lorne and we still can't fathom the reason for that firing.

This season we got the Johnson appointment. I am on record questioning his decision making if he was truly involved in the construction of the Comets with the huge overload in vets and then the failure to resolve the missing centers issue that's existed over the course of the last 3 seasons.

The most recent example of total management incompetence is the failure to acquire non vet players to stand in for the extended absences of key personnel. The Comets have 9 guys out with injuries and have been playing the most recent games with barely a player or two available beyond the starting lineup. All the Kalamazoo personnel related to the Comets in any way are in the lineup. During the time Travis was head coach the Comets were never limping along with a short handed lineup. Even if it meant loading the team with PTOs it was done. Last night the only extra was Moynihan.

Archi has been week to week since fracturing his cheekbone. Sifers is listed as week to week with his wrist/hand casted. McEneny is week to week with a lower body injury, but having been helped from the ice unable to use a leg, I would have to say he has a serious knee or ankle problem. Laplante is now listed as week to week. Hamilton, Holm, and Subban are "no word" as to what and how long. Hamilton has been out of the lineup since Nov 3. Woods and Bachman are day to day but Woods has been out since Nov. 3 as well.

No GM worth the title would allow things to get this out of hand. Can't tell whether or not Cull is okay with this or he has just been told to make do. Can't believe any head coach could be comfortable with this situation.

So, no Johnson has not been effective at his job, if in fact, he is actually doing it. I have questioned whether his appointment was just a figure head assignment by Benning so he would have someone to blame when the hard questions started coming up as to why this or that was going south in Utica. He had to accept the responsibility the past 2 years, particularly when his prospects had no play making centers, and I don't think he was comfortable accepting the blame. Now he can just say, "Ask Johnson. It's his job." They can ask him if they know where to find him.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So, no Johnson has not been effective at his job, if in fact, he is actually doing it. I have questioned whether his appointment was just a figure head assignment by Benning so he would have someone to blame when the hard questions started coming up as to why this or that was going south in Utica. He had to accept the responsibility the past 2 years, particularly when his prospects had no play making centers, and I don't think he was comfortable accepting the blame. Now he can just say, "Ask Johnson. It's his job." They can ask him if they know where to find him.

The word out of Vancouver before Johnson got the promotion was that the Canucks' management were really impressed by Johnson. If I was to guess, the appointment was probably more of a Linden one than a Benning one. Regardless, the word out of Vancouver was that this promotion has more to do with needing to give Johnson a promotion as they think he's a rising talent.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The word out of Vancouver before Johnson got the promotion was that the Canucks' management were really impressed by Johnson. If I was to guess, the appointment was probably more of a Linden one than a Benning one. Regardless, the word out of Vancouver was that this promotion has more to do with needing to give Johnson a promotion as they think he's a rising talent.

So is he a good cook?? Good with stocks?? Rising talent at what?????? Whatever this guy is supposed to be good at, I haven't seen it yet......

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Perhaps communicating management's goals for young players to aid in their development, the primary reason for the Utica Comets to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad