The Utah team should be called ...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Didn't the owner say something about the name and colors will play of the Jazz name and colors?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Unironically, just a plain "Utah Hockey Team" would be nice. Something different for North American hockey, lands a pretty good nickname from the start (UHC), and has great potential for logos.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is an interesting one as some of the things Utah is most closely associated with (such as Mormonism, Native Americans, etc.) are likely off the table. I think whatever they come up with will be catchy, family friendly, and non-controversial. Probably be weather, bee, or dinosaur related. I think something bee/hive/sting related would be a solid choice.

Reactions: BKarchitect

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Unironically, just a plain "Utah Hockey Team" would be nice. Something different for North American hockey, lands a pretty good nickname from the start (UHC), and has great potential for logos.

They already have Real Salt Lake.

Maybe they should be Bayern Utah.

Probably be weather, bee, or dinosaur related. I think something bee/hive/sting related would be a solid choice.

Yellow Jackets.

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Didn't the owner say something about the name and colors will play of the Jazz name and colors?

I definitely think there is room currently for a full-time purple team.

I really wish the Kings would stop depriving everybody of the Forum Blue and Gold throwbacks and just make those their full-time jerseys.

And the Ducks should stop mucking about with perhaps the most boring identity in the league and go back to the 90's eggplant and teal beauties.

But until those things happen...purple is there for the taking as an identity. Plus, the Yotes had a gorgeous purple alternate so you could kind of bring that forward a bit.

A purple/silver/gray look would be slick.

2cc241590b5c990da82a87fd32818711_700x.jpg

Reactions: Guttersniped

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Utah Yeti is so bad I don't get the push for it at all, sounds like an ECHL name.

Out of these 3 Outlaws, I don't mind Falcon or Fury, not sure about Stingers or Utah HC. Blizzard is good but too close too Avalanche imo. Grizzlies is good but borrowing from ECHL/NBA.

Nothing has really jumped out to me so far

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

That would make me think either musical or having a double Z, so Blizzard gets a boost there. But I jokingly suggested Utah Ska(tes) once before.

As for colors, the thing is that the Jazz have had all the freaking colors, more or less.

31c3a7f28e645afca17c5fbb753b2375.jpg

And I know that's an incomplete graphic, as it's missing at least one jersey that I rather quite liked.

images.jpg

They could go with borderline everything except all red and be an homage to a certain era of Jazz history, I think.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Do NBA teams even have a real uniform anymore, or is just 30 alternates that have no meaning

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That would make me think either musical or having a double Z, so Blizzard gets a boost there. But I jokingly suggested Utah Ska(tes) once before.

As for colors, the thing is that the Jazz have had all the freaking colors, more or less.

View attachment 859400

And I know that's an incomplete graphic, as it's missing at least one jersey that I rather quite liked.

View attachment 859402

They could go with borderline everything except all red and be an homage to a certain era of Jazz history, I think.

Finally found the quote

Expect the Jazz And The Yet-To-Be-Named NHL Team To Share Some Colors Or Design Elements​

Smith also talked about what kinds of colors and uniforms we can expect with the new team, and he said he envisions they'll share some characteristics with the team's arena mates the Utah Jazz, which he and his wife, Ashley, also own.

"If you look at the mountains on the (Jazz) jersey, I think that kind of breeds a little bit of a color palette naturally, of fresh ice, the whole setup, blue skies, you see that," Smith explained.

"In a dream scenario, there's a Venn diagram where you've got the Jazz and this team... where things could kind of overlap."

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
They are all awful, hopefully something better. Outlaws is the best of the (bad) bunch.

With that said, the marketing dept/ops are brain dead if they delay naming the team until next year.

This team will never have more attention/eyes on them as they will in the lead up to their first ever game. To not already have your teams full brand/identity/jersey/nickname/colours in place during that period of attention would be so stupid.

Not to mention all of the jerseys/merch they stand to sell leading up to and at their first home game. Why would anyone buy a "Utah HC" basically practice jersey when they know the team will eventually have a proper logo/nickname eventually.

How long can it possibly take to think of a name? It's not that deep.

Now they get to sell all of the Utah HC merch for the first year, and then sell all of the new branding stuff in year two. Gotta make back a chunk of that gigantic price tag somehow.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Isn't the plural form of Yeti ... "Yeti"? :dunno:

While others have shown that the plural of Yeti is indeed Yetis…

The plural of Leaf is Leaves.

Avalanche and Wild were deliberately chosen to use a singular form.

Whether “Kraken” is meant to convey a singular instance of a multi armed sea monster or a school of them is a subject of debate.

All told, the NHL has played loose with singular/plural issues before and I don’t see any reason to assume they’d insist on plural Yetis here.

The USPHL has a “Yeti” (not “Yetis”) team. If the Utah nhl team decides to do the same, who’s gonna stop them? Merriam-Webster?

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Out of those options? Yeti.

But it's bonkers that they're not considering Utah Phoenix. Firebirds are awesome, it'd make one of the best logos ever, it'd be a reference to "rising from the ashes" of a failed franchise, while also being a cool reference to the team formerly being the Phoenix Coyotes.

Evergreen

Yetis is my favorite. I also really like Mammoths (emphasis on it being plural) but I do not like the singular Mammoth.

I really do not like the singular noun team names (Wild, Avalanche, Kraken, etc.).

Outlaws sounds like an ECHL team name. I would prefer it over Mammoth, but not Mammoths.

I like the raptor and the sonic suggestion, but both names are associated to a nba team (the sonic name is still owned by seattle I think)
There are multiple Kings, Cardinals, Giants, Jets, etc among the sports. Utah Raptors would be really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad