The Uniforms: the real story of spring training

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Rob Manfred on MLB's 2024 jerseys:

"The jerseys are different - they're designed to be performance wear. They have been tested more extensively than any jersey in any sport. After people wear them a little bit, they're going to be really popular."

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Fantatics is crap (and will F up the NHL even worse in the coming years) but it seems like Nike is mostly to blame. This design is in the name of "performance" (the old majestic they've been wearing was perfectly fine). But they got rid of custom fit pants for players, the template forced some design changes for the worse (smaller sleeve stripes as an example), and the numbers and especially NOB just look incredibly cheap.

The Cardinals now have to chain stitch their logo on a patch and then sew it on, and the owner had to fight just for that compromise, the Phillies chain stitch logo is completely gone.

They also have this dumb aass "4+1" rule were teams can only have 4 uniforms plus a City Connect. I'm fine with limiting the number of uniforms, but why does the +1 have to be their crappy connect garbage? Just make it 5 jerseys. Some teams had to eliminate an alt or throwback and teams like Mariners and Rays just dropped their grays. This rule also meant the elimination of Spring Training and Batting Practice jerseys, which were fun. I believe the Yankees are Tigers are the only teams who still have ST jerseys and that's only cause they don't have any alternates.

Then they expect you to pay like 500$ for an authentic on top of all this.

Long story short:
Nike and Fanatics have been a disaster. The NBA is just as bad a shape, the NFL seems unscathed on the field, but retail still blows. I got Limited/Swingman NFL jersey this year and it's just glued on crappy numbers. Such a downgrade in quality compared to other ones I have, would have been better off getting a replica. Fanatics ruined Mitchell and Ness swingman's too, which used to be nearly as good as the authentics, in the same vein.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rob Manfred on MLB's 2024 jerseys:

"The jerseys are different - they're designed to be performance wear. They have been tested more extensively than any jersey in any sport. After people wear them a little bit, they're going to be really popular."

Feels like Bettman telling us the ads actually make it easier to watch the NHL

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Players should play shirtless with their numbers, name, and team logo tattooed on their back and chest

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just realized the new jerseys this year are the same as the all-star jerseys from last season. I got one. I can only speak to the "replica" versions, not the $400 authentic versions.

It was different, namely the fabric used. It feels lighter and cheaper. It's also too smooth for my taste, every other jersey I own has a coarse feel to it. This one you can slide your fingers on like butter. It doesn't feel right, but maybe it'll get better with time? It's not enough to deter me from buying new jerseys completely, probably. Just maybe not as many.

Otherwise the letting/numbering is pretty much the same as the team jerseys, and it's all just heat pressed on, none of my other jerseys have stitching. It is really dumb that they moved the MLB logo off the collar and made the letting smaller though, I think that looks really dumb.

I'll have to get my hands on one of the team jerseys from this year to see if it's the exact same as the all-star jersey from last year, or if it's changed more.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can understand wanting to tinker with the fabric or makeup of a jersey/uniform, but I've yet to see any justification for shrinking the actual player names. :help:

It makes zero sense to me and looks terrible.

Less materials = less money and that's probably it. Fanatics wins these deals because their cost can't be beat. Their cost can't be beat because they skimp on quality to maximize profit margins.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Can see his jersey tucked and compression garment through his pants....lol. Don't go commando I guess...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Someone on the Padres, with the embossed look and fit of their white pants, currently has the general size and shape of their penis going around on Twitter

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
It was. Not see-through though

Perhaps the players should do a spring training 'celebration test' and douse a rookie with water and see how the new uniforms perform. Grandma might be in for some surprises this season...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe it is a conspiracy with Best Buy and the giant screen TV manufacturers and MLB to sell bigger tv's

6db_3.jpg

These are so bad that you can hardly believe they're real.

They are like the uniform equivalent of one of those broken WWE video games that got turned into memes.

NHL will see all of this and still go to bat for Fanatics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad