The top 2 Stanley cup favorites are Colorado and Tampa Bay - agree or disagree?

Are Colorado and Tampa still the top 2 favorites to the Stanley Cup for this season?

• Total voters

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Nothing about my comment has anything to do with OT

It has everything to do with the fact that with 11 minutes left in the third Tampa had nothing, then the refs helped them out and got them off their death bed. Cooper himself admitted as much recently lol
When did Cooper ever say thr Refs gave them the game ?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In the west i take Winnipeg and Vegas over colorado

Both are deeper teams

I dont see why the jets dont get respect on here

they have a very good team and PLD and Scheff is a good 1-2 punch down the middle + a Veznia goalie

I'd take Winnipeg over the Avs at this point

I'm not even sure Jets make the playoffs. Listing them as favorites over Colorado seems bold.

Also - their last playoff round was an 0-4 sweep against Montreal in 2021. Not sure when the last time was I saw such a poor playoff round by a team, they were atrocious.

SensFan4lyfe

Nov 2, 2022
I'm not even sure Jets make the playoffs. Listing them as favorites over Colorado seems bold.

Also - their last playoff round was an 0-4 sweep against Montreal in 2021. Not sure when the last time was I saw such a poor playoff round by a team, they were atrocious.
There currently 3rd in the west

And the leafs have never made it past the first round with this core yet there considered a contender

And I mean with Colorads injuries lack of depth honestly I dont think there even a clear favourite this year

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There currently 3rd in the west

And the leafs have never made it past the first round with this core yet there considered a contender

And I mean with Colorads injuries lack of depth honestly I dont think there even a clear favourite this year

I think Leafs deserve to be considered a contender due to their incredible track record in the past few years of always making playoffs, easily so, and usually as a top team. Similarly, all of their playoff struggles so far likely knock them down a tier or 2 as top contenders. So I have Leafs as a contender, but probably outside the top ~4-5. I know many other posters seem to have them higher, but not sure I agree.

As for Jets....it's still early. Only a few weeks ago everyone on HF was once again saying Pittsburgh was going to miss the playoffs (lol). They're now on a 7 game win streak near top of league. This time last season in the West - Anaheim was 2nd in conference, and missed playoffs.

I'm not saying Jets definitely miss playoffs, just that it's possible. I think they've been extremely inconsistent with this core these past few years, and so it's too soon to say for sure they will even qualify for the playoffs, let alone be a top contender.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
No. If that were the case they wouldn't have needed a decade + after drafting Stamkos and Hedman to win the cup.

The reality is sometimes flukes happen and goalies get hot and steal series. The playoffs are unpredictable, all you can do is put the best team you can out there and make the playoffs as consistent as possible that way.

This revisionist history by Bolts fans like they didn't need to wait until year 12 of Stamkos to win the cup but wanna crucify the Leafs after year 6 of Matthews, Marner and co is hilarious.

How generous of you to give your team a 12 year cushion to get it done but chirp other teams for not winning in 1/2 that time lmfao.

Your bolded does not negate the fact that the current Tampa team has a tendency to find a way to win. Nobody cares about 12+ years ago.

The bolts won 2 series the 3rd year of stamkos' career. They then won 3 more four years later.

This is matthews 7th season and yet he has zero series wins.

You're arguments make zero sense.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Tampa, at no point in the series, deserved to beat the Leafs.

They were otchanced at even strength, and their best players were neutered.

If not for 4 instances of 5 on 3, and a litany of questionable calls, Tampa loses the series in 6 games.

So, I don't see how they are favourites.
What the f*** is this post?

They won the series. Therefore they were the better team. No need to overthink it

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No. If that were the case they wouldn't have needed a decade + after drafting Stamkos and Hedman to win the cup.

The reality is sometimes flukes happen and goalies get hot and steal series. The playoffs are unpredictable, all you can do is put the best team you can out there and make the playoffs as consistent as possible that way.

This revisionist history by Bolts fans like they didn't need to wait until year 12 of Stamkos to win the cup but wanna crucify the Leafs after year 6 of Matthews, Marner and co is hilarious.

How generous of you to give your team a 12 year cushion to get it done but chirp other teams for not winning in 1/2 that time lmfao.

Somehow missed this reply.

Why wouldn't they have needed a decade after drafting Stamkos and Hedman to win a cup? Do you think my argument was that because the team is in the city of Tampa, that means they should win every year?

I was obviously referring to the current core. And the two most important pieces for their success are probably Kucherov and Vasi - with Hedman/Point closeby. Stamkos is a really great player, but he's never exactly been a killer in playoffs.

Kucherov for me is already one of the greatest playoff performers of all-time. I may have him top ~20, or close.

Also - I'm absolutely not a Bolts fan.

Good teams find ways to win playoff games and rounds - sometimes luck plays a factor, sometimes bounces go your way, sometimes they don't, but that's all part of it. Look at how many cups and playoff rounds Tampa won since Kucherov is there, and compare that to Matthews and Toronto.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Somehow missed this reply.

Why wouldn't they have needed a decade after drafting Stamkos and Hedman to win a cup? Do you think my argument was that because the team is in the city of Tampa, that means they should win every year?

I was obviously referring to the current core. And the two most important pieces for their success are probably Kucherov and Vasi - with Hedman/Point closeby. Stamkos is a really great player, but he's never exactly been a killer in playoffs.

Kucherov for me is already one of the greatest playoff performers of all-time. I may have him top ~20, or close.

Also - I'm absolutely not a Bolts fan.

Good teams find ways to win playoff games and rounds - sometimes luck plays a factor, sometimes bounces go your way, sometimes they don't, but that's all part of it. Look at how many cups and playoff rounds Tampa won since Kucherov is there, and compare that to Matthews and Toronto.
That guy is also missing thst while it’s very hard to win a Cup, it’s not that hard to win a single series.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Before the season I would have said no for Tampa, but the rise of Hagel/Paul/Sergachev and the resurgence of Point puts us in a position to contend. Cirelli's return has also provided us with a spark. If Vasi and Hedman can fully turn it around we have as good of a chance as anyone.

Still far too early though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It is way too early for me to say.

I (of course) hope my Bruins are in it at the end. They have surprised many so far...especially with the major players out at the start of the season

It all depends on the health of the team.

GO BRUINS!

Reactions: b in vancouver

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
The cup favourite will be whichever team most effectively abuses LTIR and makes a big deadline acquisition. Colorado looking like strong candidates now to enter the playoffs $10m+ over the cap.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Tampa, at no point in the series, deserved to beat the Leafs.

They were otchanced at even strength, and their best players were neutered.

If not for 4 instances of 5 on 3, and a litany of questionable calls, Tampa loses the series in 6 games.

So, I don't see how they are favourites.
It must be fun living in an imaginary world.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
To me Colorado needs a big boost to their top6 to be a legit Stanley Cup threat.

Boston has weak defensw?
The second I read that I was... are we watching the same NHL?
We all can only watch so much hockey so I get blind-spots... but just look at the stats if you haven't seen them much this season. Two Norris level d-men followed by one of the best 3-6 units and backed-up by the Vezina favourite.

The only issues with Boston at the moment is whether Marchand can start playing like one of the best in the league, if Krejci can stay healthy, Swayman find his game, not get bored... etc.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa, Boston or Toronto win The Cup... but that's a brutal first round for two of them. You could easily see a scenario where the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the league have to play each other in the first round.
I personally think The Bruins are a step above but winning the division is paramount this season and if say Toronto puts it together you'll have a Boston vs. Tampa first round. That's a coin toss.... ?

Will be like the old Battle Of Alberta second round where you knew whoever won that was going to (and probably winning) The Finals.

It is way too early for me to say.

I (of course) hope my Bruins are in it at the end. They have surprised many so far...especially with the major players out at the start of the season

It all depends on the health of the team.

GO BRUINS!
Wait 'til they pick up Pat Kane at the deadline and Toronto get Horvat and Tampa gets... uhm - Coal. They get too many nice things.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Colorado and Tampa Bay have earned the benefit of the doubt until if/when they are bounced early in the playoffs.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If your life depended on picking the Cup winner and you had two chances to do so, I think most people would be picking Tampa/Colorado still. That isn't to say there aren't other contenders, but I can't think of any other team I trust to go deep

Reactions: EXTRAS

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Play that series a dozen times in a simulator, with all the same stats, shots, hits, etc and Toronto wins 7 or 8 if those series.

It's not that Tampa was blown out by any stretch, but I see no reason why an even weaker Tampa would be favourited over an equal or arguably stronger opponent.

They would more heavily favourited against Florida, yes. Ditto with the Rangers.

But Boston would also be nearly equal

And yet toronto always finds ways to lose and Tampa has won 11 of their last 12 playoff series.

• Wow
Reactions: Master P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad