The Success of the NLL in Saskatoon

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
3rd in the NLL in attendance... 14,000 tickets sold for tomorrow night's game at the Sasktel Center vs. Calgary. Attendances over 13,000 the last two home games. The buzz around the city is real, the province is buying in... It's a great atmosphere at NLL games in Saskatoon.

I don't think many could have predicted what a big success it has been so far, especially with such a small amount of season ticket holders. My guess is that next year that season ticket number will skyrocket.

The high attendance has also started the conversation of a downtown arena as the city plans its growth (the Sasktel Center is woefully prepared to handle near capacity crowds.)

I just thought it'd be interesting to share a success story out of a market in Canada that rarely gets talked about outside of the CFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
3rd in the NLL in attendance... 14,000 tickets sold for tomorrow night's game at the Sasktel Center vs. Calgary. Attendances over 13,000 the last two home games. The buzz around the city is real, the province is buying in... It's a great atmosphere at NLL games in Saskatoon.

I don't think many could have predicted what a big success it has been so far, especially with such a small amount of season ticket holders. My guess is that next year that season ticket number will skyrocket.

The high attendance has also started the conversation of a downtown arena as the city plans its growth (the Sasktel Center is woefully prepared to handle near capacity crowds.)

I just thought it'd be interesting to share a success story out of a market in Canada that rarely gets talked about outside of the CFL.

I've been to sold out concerts there and thought the venue was fine, minus the traffic after. Genuinely curious, what is lacking? (you're not the only one saying it)

Some family and friends that aren't really hockey fans have been enjoying the NLL games. Surprising for sure.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I've been to sold out concerts there and thought the venue was fine, minus the traffic after. Genuinely curious, what is lacking? (you're not the only one saying it)

Some family and friends that aren't really hockey fans have been enjoying the NLL games. Surprising for sure.

The concourse is tiny for crowds of 13,000+. There is literally no room to mill around at half time. Washroom facilities are lacking for large crowds as well. Plus there aren't enough concession stands to serve that many people. Yeah, there is an upper concourse, but they couldn't add a ton of space or amenities.

The concourse of the building was built for it's original capacity, which when it opened in 1988 was about 7,000. It's expanded twice since then, can hold 15,195 now and has the same amount of washrooms and concession stands on the main concourse. And less space since they added luxury boxes.

Basically... there's no space. It's getting close to being 30 years old, and while the structure is fine, the mechanical stuff is starting to wear down.

I don't expect a new arena to be built downtown for at least another decade, but at least the conversation has started (and most agree.)

Kadoosh*

What's everyone's opinion on the Rush name/brand? Should they change it. Never been a fan of relocating teams keeping the same name

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
What's everyone's opinion on the Rush name/brand? Should they change it. Never been a fan of relocating teams keeping the same name

I don't see a problem with keeping the same name. Edmonton Rush won the NLL championship in 2015, changing the name would erase that in my opinion. At-least now the team continues in a different city.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I watch the NLL on TSN but have only been to two Roughnecks games live. It *is* a fun sport to watch.

I believe the policy going forward for the NLL is to align with NHL teams and owners, except for teams like Sask and Rochester that obviously will be independent.

The Rush name is not location-specific, so keep it. It sounds good.

The Rush have a sole owner, but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow the Roughriders' model and market to the province with merchandise, etc and gradually follow the community-owned model.

Kadoosh*

I watch the NLL on TSN but have only been to two Roughnecks games live. It *is* a fun sport to watch.

I believe the policy going forward for the NLL is to align with NHL teams and owners, except for teams like Sask and Rochester that obviously will be independent.

The Rush name is not location-specific, so keep it. It sounds good.

The Rush have a sole owner, but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow the Roughriders' model and market to the province with merchandise, etc and gradually follow the community-owned model.
I personally think it sounds cheesy/bush league but hey if people in Sask don't have a problem with it then neither do I.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
I made this same thread like 3 weeks ago and it got taken down......

That's the exact reason why the rush are doing so well in Saskatoon, Bruce Urban saw the opportunity and recognized Saskatoon as a legit place.

The respect level that he's shown the city is why their doing so well.

Most people see Saskatoon with no "big city" respect, when it's likely one of the best upcoming cities in North America (if you can stand the cold)

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Glad to see some early sucess for the Rush both on and off the field.

I think the best future of this league and really any outside of the big 4 is to either be under the umbrella of the NHL (or NBA) like Calgary, Colorado and Buffalo or have a niche market where the team is almost the biggest game in town. Understand the Oilers are looking to bring the league back there.

The Rock used to have a much bigger pressence here but attendance has seemed to tapper off while they tend to get lost in the crowd with the Leafs, Raptors and Jays. Though I don't see them going anywhere.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Is many NLL teams even profitable, they constantly seem to be moving around. I have always been interested in NLL, unfortunately its accessibility is kind-of bad. I used to watch some NLL games on TSN when I lived in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad