The struggling Larkin...

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yes, he's young, and yes, it's early but Larkin is certainly overrated on this board and by Wings fans.

How so? He's still a top 3 player on the team, he still projects to be a first line player, high end second line player at worst. No one is saying he'll be a hall of famer like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fedorov, or Yzerman. He's already one of the best players on the team at 20 and has a lot of time to develop into a legit first line guy on a team that doesn't even have ONE first line guy.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Yes, he's young, and yes, it's early but Larkin is certainly overrated on this board and by Wings fans.

Make a blanket statement and leave, without explaining. Great way to fuel the discussion on a forum. :laugh:

Larkin has high expectations from us fans (and most likely himself) having a great rookie year and being one of the most talked rookies in Detroit in a while. I don't think in the slightest that he's overrated. Here's a pretty good article on this : SOURCE.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Make a blanket statement and leave, without explaining. Great way to fuel the discussion on a forum. :laugh:

Larkin has high expectations from us fans (and most likely himself) having a great rookie year and being one of the most talked rookies in Detroit in a while. I don't think in the slightest that he's overrated. Here's a pretty good article on this : SOURCE.

I haven't gone anywhere. I've always thought he projects to be a very good #2C. Not elite.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I haven't gone anywhere. I've always thought he projects to be a very good #2C. Not elite.

I think a big part of the hype was that the last time we saw a rookie come in and make such impact was Zetterberg back in 2003, and Larkin did it at 19 while Z was 22.

Anyways, I agree that it's likely a combination of sophomore slump and him figuring out the game, as others have said, he came into the league with a huge speed advantage that helped him quite a bit, now that the league has taken notice, he'll have to figure out doing things more than just his speed.

I feel like when it's all said and done, he would be a top notch second line 50 point player and a potential captain for this team, while this sounds excellent, I guess part of us thought he would be a Datsyuk/Zetterberg kind of elite in terms of offense. Mind you he's only 20 and that could still happen, but I feel like it's less likely because he does not posses that kind of hockey IQ. Oddly, I feel like Mantha is the guy to achieve that if he reaches his top potential.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is very strange timing for this thread. Larkin has been great the past handful of games and has looked like a stud between Nyquist and Vanek.

Why is he struggling?

1. It's his sophomore season after a hyped rookie year, so the opposition is accounting for him. (And arguably, there are probably very few forwards on this team that the opposition feels the need to target).
2. He's been bounced between center and wing and between linemates.
3. Because a number of our "skilled" forwards are struggling and its not exactly easy for a kid to pull himself out of a slump with no help from his veteran line/teammates

Why isn't anyone talking about it that much?

1. The kid is 20 and being asked to play an impact role on a poorly constructed team.
2. He gives 100% every game and never takes a shift off.
3. Even when he has an average game, he still has a couple thrilling shifts.

Larkin is very low on the list of my concerns with this team.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

There is a huge gap between "a very good #2C" and "elite." And I haven't seen anyone that I can think of say Larkin will be elite, unless they're talking about his skating or his drive, in which case he already is elite there. But thats the extent of it.

I think the majority of this fanbase thinks his ceiling is that of a modest #1C, like a peak-form Kesler, a Mike Fisher with more skill (and thus more production), or a Ryan Johansen.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think part of it is moving to center (I keep telling people, it's an adjustment), and part of it is the extreme lack of talent on the team.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He's been very good lately IMO. Don't let his point totals fool you.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I agree with this to a degree, but we need Larkin to continue to progress offensively as well. I think we'll have a good idea of how good Larkin really is by this time next season. I'm not sold that Larkin will ever be a 60 point center in his career, but he might be a 60 point winger.

The problem is, we need a 70+ point center.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

I don't doubt it, he looks good most of the time whether he's scoring or not, but putting up points is what separates top-6 to bottom-6 guys. If he's not scoring, what would be the difference between the way he plays and Darren Helm for example? Even at that I'd say Helm probably brings a little more to the table since he's better defensively.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
There is a huge gap between "a very good #2C" and "elite." And I haven't seen anyone that I can think of say Larkin will be elite, unless they're talking about his skating or his drive, in which case he already is elite there. But thats the extent of it.

I think the majority of this fanbase thinks his ceiling is that of a modest #1C, like a peak-form Kesler, a Mike Fisher with more skill (and thus more production), or a Ryan Johansen.

Lol. See 3 posts above yours!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't doubt it, he looks good most of the time whether he's scoring or not, but putting up points is what separates top-6 to bottom-6 guys. If he's not scoring, what would be the difference between the way he plays and Darren Helm for example? Even at that I'd say Helm probably brings a little more to the table since he's better defensively.

Larkin has been very unlucky IMO. If he keeps playing like this, the points will come. The difference between Larkin and Helm is that Helm doesn't really have ability. Larkin does.

Last edited:

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan

Here you go:

Larkin will be an elite player.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Here you go:

Like, he sure might be, is the thing. He was like in the top 5 of ranked prospects in the world coming into his rookie season for a lot of publications, and put up a calder calibre season last year on a sinking ship. It's a high bar, but not an unreasonable one, considering his College pedigree, his WJC performance, his brief AHL stint in the playoffs, and his rookie year here.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
He's been alot better recently and I think its only a matter of time before he starts breaking through again. He needs to use his linemates more though, I know our team isnt the best but it seems like he keeps going wide until he either shoots or gets knocked off the puck.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How so? He's still a top 3 player on the team, he still projects to be a first line player, high end second line player at worst. No one is saying he'll be a hall of famer like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fedorov, or Yzerman. He's already one of the best players on the team at 20 and has a lot of time to develop into a legit first line guy on a team that doesn't even have ONE first line guy.

Larkin is playing like a bottom line player right now. 3rd line center. Just good news cause we know he will be a second liner at least

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If he doesn't breakthrough next year - I'm worried. But this year he should adjust to new position, workload and responsibility. Getting a scoring boost in the second half of the year would also be a good sign.

And if he doesn't make it - remember he was projected a 3C at the draft and he's already overachieving.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I will tell you the one thing that really drives me nuts about him is that he's out there begging for calls. Every time he gets pushed off the puck, he's looking to the ref for a call. Every time he falls down, he struggles to get back into the play because he's making some stupid point to the ref.

Tighten that chinstrap, son, and get to work.

I noticed it last year too, and it was really getting on my nerves. I agree he needs to play tougher, and has to realize the NHL is all about getting, hit, whacked, tripped, slashed, highsticked without penalties coming.

To me he relies too heavily on the high speed drive to the outside, around the net play. Defenders know there is a great chance he is going to try and pull that, and counter it more times than not, so far this season. He needs to be a little less predictable, with when he does that move.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
That's the great thing about ELC's and where he was brought in. There's still plenty of time to get things right or move him for futures, even more time to give him a bridge and hope he turns into a #1C. It's not like he would be the difference in a cup this year, not even if he was playing better than McDavid, with the Wings goalies playing better than Price. He is the least of my concerns with this team at the moment.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But who does not struggle on this team?
Exactly, it's extremely difficult to make any real conclusions about individual players when everyone is struggling and most of the team is putting up underwhelming or downright awful numbers.

It's not easy for a 20 year old in his 2nd pro season to look like a star in this situation. Talking about him being overrated... I don't think anyone ever thought he would be a McDavid/Datsyuk/Crosby/etc. that can carry mediocre/bad wingers and score huge numbers. He was always projected closer to someone like Toews. Who, btw, has a handful more points than Larkin does this season. On a much better team.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Exactly, it's extremely difficult to make any real conclusions about individual players when everyone is struggling and most of the team is putting up underwhelming or downright awful numbers.

It's not easy for a 20 year old in his 2nd pro season to look like a star in this situation. Talking about him being overrated... I don't think anyone ever thought he would be a McDavid/Datsyuk/Crosby/etc. that can carry mediocre/bad wingers and score huge numbers. He was always projected closer to someone like Toews. Who, btw, has a handful more points than Larkin does this season. On a much better team.

So, if none of the players on this team can be expected to step up and actually make the team that much better, what is the plan exactly? Is this what we're going to say about Larkin for years, that he could have been great, but the team sucked so he didn't have a chance to be that player? I'm totally fine with thinking Larkin will never be the 1st line center we hoped, but I don't want to make too much excuses for him.

I get that he's young, I'm not giving up on him, but I want to see more offense to continue believing that he'll be a difference maker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad