The struggles of Crosby, Kunitz, Hornqvist, and Perron

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Maybe we really did need a Babcock, a Scotty Bowman, etc. Is the system not working, or are the players tuning out the coach trying to implement the system?

There aren't many coaches that can command instant respect and obedience from guys like Sid and Geno, but Babcock could.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I thought Sid looked great on Saturday, a marked improvement from the first 4 games of the season. It's unfortunate that he was unable to get off the schneid but he generated several prime scoring chances and showed a lot more aggressiveness and speed with and without the puck. There was one shift in particular where the defender had a moderate gap on Sid w/ the puck by the benches. Sid blew by him and gained the offensive zone and I think we lost possession, but still, it stuck out to me.

Others have brought this up a bunch so I don't want to :deadhorse: but if Crosby can keep playing aggressive, fast hockey, and the PP fixes itself, then he can dig himself out of this slump and challenge for some hardware.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Sorry dude.. love him but no way he was going to be top five all time, points or otherwise. It's just not possible.

lol........................................................................................................

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
at this stage (three-four years after his original concussions), the acute effects of a concussion such as headaches, inability to focus, vertigo, etc have stopped. the inflammation in his brain has largely subsided. but now is when he the long term effects of chronic traumatic encephlopathy might be setting in. in many, perhaps most cases of concussions/tbi/cte the true effects arent felt for several years sometimes even decades. at this stage sid, there is scarring in the brain that leads to impairment in visuospatial functioning (a recent paper found that visual working memory in athletes is impaired following tbi), executive functioning (decision-making), mood, personality, and behavior, etc. these effects are very subtle at first but can become more pronounced with time.

this stuff about his soft tissue injury/vertebral fracture injury causing all his symptoms is hogwash. thats was reported by one guy who ran with it, and pens fans have clung to it because it sounds better than sid having a concussion. his symptoms werent even consistent with the reported injury. no one on the previous or present medical staff ever said that and i have spoken to the docs on the previous medical staff and they agreed unequivocally that sid had one maybe two standard concussions.
Just stop.

Crosby led the NHL in points in 2013-14 with 104. No one has surpassed 90 since then. This has nothing to do with injuries or lingering effects of them. This has to do with two things: The NHL, which has stifled scoring and creativity; and Mike Johnston's anemic system.

NHL teams averaged 230 fewer power play opportunities last year than they did in 2005-06. That's a problem.

And while injuries hurt the Penguins at times last year, they were predominantly healthy in February and March (Despres was traded in March and Letang went out in the second to last game of the month) and scored an anemic 2 goals per game.

It's the system. Johnston's system is too regimented and scripted, and it's stifling the creativity. Not one of the Penguins' goals this year, save for maybe Letang's, has come via offensive pressure and creativity. It's all come off of turnovers or the occasional odd-man rush (or Malkin doing it himself).

That is the biggest reason behind the Penguins' drop-off in production, especially Sid's. He's built to create in the offensive zone with sustained pressure. He's built to pick apart penalty kills. When you're held back from doing those two things, your production is going to slip.

And let's keep in mind that if not for the mumps & a nagging bruise or pull here and there, Crosby probably leads the league in points last year, too, instead of finishing 3 behind Benn.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Food for thought but has Sid switched sticks?? Maybe that's why he's having issues??

How many sticks has he had snap on him now, 4? 5??

He "switched" from Reebok to CCM, though I'm not sure if that counts since it's technically still a Ribcor, just branded differently now that Reebok is being phased out in favor of CCM. Can't imagine they're made any differently but it wouldn't surprise me to see him switch back to last year's Reebok model if for no other reason than superstition.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
He "switched" from Reebok to CCM, though I'm not sure if that counts since it's technically still a Ribcor, just branded differently now that Reebok is being phased out in favor of CCM. Can't imagine they're made any differently but it wouldn't surprise me to see him switch back to last year's Reebok model if for no other reason than superstition.

Does he still use a stick with almost no curve at all or did he ever switch to one with a bit of a curve? Just curious because he had a few scoring chances where he would have definitely had a goal had he just lifted the puck a little, plus we haven't seen any impressive backhand shots from him lately....so maybe a stick with more curve would do some good.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Kunitz *****

Sprong - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Kessel
Plotnikov - Bonino - Fehr (Bennett when healthy)
Fehr/Kunitz - Cullen - Dupuis
Farnham

Fehr - Crosby - Hornqvist (if Sprong is sent back to the CHL)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Food for thought but has Sid switched sticks?? Maybe that's why he's having issues??

How many sticks has he had snap on him now, 4? 5??

He's using a CCM stick now instead of Reebok but I assume it's the same stick they just switched the name since Reebok is getting out of hockey.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah RBK and CCM are the exact same. RBK essentially gave all rights over for anything hockey to CCM. I do find Sid's sticks snapping to be a little weird. And who knows, maybe the different brand is throwing Sid off...he's a weird cat. :laugh:

I think if Sid's time with Kessel has proven anything, it's that Sid is the most highly skilled grinder to ever play the game. He just meshes better with those types of players.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its pretty easy to see that Sid is forcing puck to kessel at almost every time.

IMO both players need to have the puck a lot and even though they're both great passers... they don't share well. They both need more give and go to their games.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I do find Sid's sticks snapping to be a little weird. And who knows, maybe the different brand is throwing Sid off...he's a weird cat. :laugh

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him "switch" back to Reebok and stockpile them like Mike Green did with his old Easton Synergy.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

IMO both players need to have the puck a lot and even though they're both great passers... they don't share well. They both need more give and go to their games.

Swapping Hornqvist and Kessel is too obvious for the staff.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Geno needs the puck too, though. So does Kessel lead a third scoring line? That would NOT be maximizing assets here.

I have no issue with the coaching staff trying to give Crosby-Kessel an extended look. The problem is obvious, though. Kunitz.

I won't give up on Crosby-Kessel until they try them with an actual NHL left-winger today, not an artifact from 2010.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I thought Crosby looked fantastic tonight, and could've easily had another 2 or 3 points. So much more speed and attacking nature these past two games.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I thought Crosby looked fantastic tonight, and could've easily had another 2 or 3 points. So much more speed and attacking nature these past two games.

As expected, he was using a different stick last night:
dEUSHxh.jpg

He went from CCM to... not CCM, or at least a different model and completely blacked out. His curve was also different than I've seen him use, more of a mid-toe/toe curve and a bit more open as opposed to the closed, nearly flat blade he's been known for.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
As expected, he was using a different stick last night:
dEUSHxh.jpg

He went from CCM to... not CCM, or at least a different model and completely blacked out. His curve was also different than I've seen him use, more of a mid-toe/toe curve and a bit more open as opposed to the closed, nearly flat blade he's been known for.

I was looking for a picture of this...someone mentioned he was using a different stick but couldnt find any good pics

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'll bet it's a teammate's stick that he probably grabbed just to try and liked it, like Malkin did with Pouliot's. Not sure whose though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad