OT: The Story So far

Tankhouse

Mar 21, 2011
Tankhouse' 2013 offseason review (The story so far)

Let me preface this review with a quick rant on advanced statistics. Those that put faith in them have said the leafs playoff appearance was a "fluke" pure luck. They should not have been in the playoffs ect ect...blah blah blah. However there is one number I would like everyone to turn there attention too. that Number is 57. 57 points, more then ten other teams. More then the Rangers, more then Philly, More then New Jersey more then Detroit since you know they will be joining the new Atlantic division this year.

Yes the Leafs shooting percentage was screwy, and yes they allowed too many shots. But imagine this. If a team finishes 82-0, outscoring opponets 10-8 every game, but only getting say 15 shots a game... they would have the worst goals agains in the league, yes they would probably be getting outshot every game. BUT they would be 82-0. Obviously this would never happen, but you can see my point. at the end of the day, points mean more then EVERYTHING. the leafs finished 5th they found ways to win games, a timely goal, a big save. Then as a largely inexperienced team Our beloved Leafs took Boston, a team just two seasons removed from cup glory, a team loaded with veterans. and a team that went all the way to the finals this year, yes they took them to overtime in game seven. Does it suck how they lost, absolutely, But for such a young inexperienced team, Kudos.

Stop over analyzing the leafs season. They MADE THE PLAYOFFS and that is great, For the Leafs , for the fans, For the NHL, and for the city of Toronto.

Ok rant over.

So Toronto traded for Bernier a young goalie with loads of potential. Its gonna be tough to lose Frattin, but the competition in net will be fantastic. Gonna be some spectacular goaltending this year. The leafs also add Dave Bolland a guy from Toronto, who by the way has won two cups. Did you watch the finals? fyi he scored the cup winning goal. Clarkson is a very good power forward another Toronto boy, he went all the way to the finals with NJ losing in 6 to LA. Do you see a trend here, three guys with playoff experience. coming from teams that have been successful.
Yes we're gonna miss grabo, but Bozak and Kadri both outplayed him last year, and Bolland is better suited to play on the third line anyways. Clarkson is a improvement over MacArthur. son't get me wrong I loved him as a leaf. Now I will hate him as a Senator. Toronto lost Mike Koska...... We added TJ Brennan a young two way guy. might be a nice pickup.

So the leafs look to be in decent shape going in to this year. they have had a controversial, but mostly succesfull offseason, and the leafs have added depth, size and a bit of skill, remember the leafs never have trouble scoring, its keeping the puck out of the net. Bolland, Clarkson and Bernier will all contribute to that area. And who knows maybe Mr Nonis isn't done yet

Ladies and Gentleman your 2013-2014 Toronto Maple Leafs

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
McClement-Bolland-Kulemin
Biggs/D'Amigo-Colborne-Orr/Mclaren
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Reilly-Liles/Frasor
Brennan
Reimer/Bernier
Should be a great year leaf fans, GO LEAFS GO

What's everyone else think, will Nonis make another move, should the leafs trade Dion. What are your expectations for this year?

Lets have fun, but keep it positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad