The SPHL: Teams can now choose their playoff opponent

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Under the new SPHL playoff format unveiled today, the top 3 teams in the league will get to choose their opponent from the teams seeded 5-8 in the first round of the playoffs(which is being called the Challenge Round). 8 of the SPHL's 10 teams will make the playoffs.

Here's how it works: After the season ends, the #1 seed gets to choose their opponent from any of the teams seeded 5th to 8th. The #2 seed will then choose from the remaining 3, while the #3 seed chooses from the other 2. The #4 seed gets whatever is left over.

The other two rounds proceed as normal, with the highest seeded team left playing the lowest-seeded team and the other 2 teams playing each other. The finals pit the two surviving teams.

All series are best of 3.

(H/T to The Score's Twitter feed; it's also on their website as well as the SPHL's site.)

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
This is just stupid. Id expect this from the FHL but not the SPHL.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The SPHL's best-of-3 playoff series throughout & the regular loss of home ice by higher seeded teams due to facility scheduling in springtime have already brought the League's season-ending practices under significant scrutiny by fans. This new playoff scheme just seems to be like asking someone to kick you in the soft tissues while you're down.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The D-League did this several years ago... and didn't continue it for whatever reason, at least as far as I understand. I liked it. It puts a little edge on the playoffs (YOU picked US? Is that what you think about us?!?) while providing more regular season incentive, at least in theory. This way, teams aren't jockeying to avoid the bogey team by throwing games, so to speak.

Travel cost issues? Eh, I can see that being a problem. I'd think there are workarounds.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I like it too. I wonder if teams will ever make a selection based on geography as opposed to who they think they can beat. I'm not sure how they do the scheduling, but would Pensacola pick Macon over Peoria for example to avoid the fatigue of the long bus trips, and cut costs of travel? Or maybe they pick Peoria on purpose because they are going to have home ice and the travel is harder on Peoria? Or maybe pick the team whose building is not available so you can get all three home games? There is a bit of strategy to it, and maybe more than just avoiding a lower seeded team who got hot late.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Interesting. Royals119 mapped out the various strategies that teams could take. I'm on the I like it side of it.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
It beats tanking to get the ideal matchup...not that any team would ever do that. ::snicker::

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad