TV: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
One thing I've noticed watching the show this time is how well it strikes the balance by making the characters engaging and sympathetic then doing a rug pull and reminding you they're awful people. Even Bobby during that episode, the one nice guy who doesn't cheat on his wife and helps Junior and is a family man and sucks up to Tony... goes and kills a young guy with a young kid because it'll make him some money.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
One thing I've noticed watching the show this time is how well it strikes the balance by making the characters engaging and sympathetic then doing a rug pull and reminding you they're awful people. Even Bobby during that episode, the one nice guy who doesn't cheat on his wife and helps Junior and is a family man and sucks up to Tony... goes and kills a young guy with a young kid because it'll make him some money.

I thought he does it because he got in a fight with Tony, beat him and that was Tony's way of reasserting his dominance over him. Making a guy who wasn't wired that way kill a man.

In short, Bobby doesn't have too much of a choice but to do as ordered.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I thought he does it because he got in a fight with Tony, beat him and that was Tony's way of reasserting his dominance over him. Making a guy who wasn't wired that way kill a man.

In short, Bobby doesn't have too much of a choice but to do as ordered.
That goes both ways too though. Why was Bobby getting in a drunken fight over Monopoly? Because they're overgrown children.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Despite what a lot of people seem to think there's no such thing as a mafia member who isn't an awful person. That being said, the show definitely made Bobby seem decent guy and like SIF said above, the one time they showed him doing something awful it was because he basically had no choice.

The monopoly scene was hilarious. I still laugh about Tony saying "how bout that" back to Bobby.

Reactions: Primary Assist
Sep 19, 2008
The instagram had profanity but I was shown a clip of Phil Leotardo trying to avoid paying Tony :laugh:

"Mister are you okay?"

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I finished it and don't have anything else to watch so I've started again. Going from the end to the beginning, Gandolfini must be about 100 lbs lighter.

Also I missed that when he goes to his mother's when she gets the Trinidadian nurse he tells her "no ganja when you're here" :biglaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I finished it and don't have anything else to watch so I've started again. Going from the end to the beginning, Gandolfini must be about 100 lbs lighter.

Also I missed that when he goes to his mother's when she gets the Trinidadian nurse he tells her "no ganja when you're here" :biglaugh:
Voice was way different too. From episode 1 (filmed summer 1997) to 2 (filmed summer 1998) he hired a voice coach and gained 50 pounds. I'm sure all the booze and coke didn't help.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was watching the movie State of Grace last week (it's based on The Westies). is. this not the same set that was used for the Lupertazzi Social Club? FWIW this is the unnamed mob families social club.The background is what caught my eye.

IMG_0993.jpg

This is one of the best acting scenes I’ve ever seen in television. Gandolfini killed it. RIP.

And my god did I ever have the biggest crush on Jamie Lynn-Sigler

We all did, its as much of a consensus you'll ever get on this site :laugh:

That reminded of Chris talking back to Tony when they had his intervention :laugh:

"I'm gonna kill myself?? The way you f***in' eat you're gonna have a heart attack by the time you're 50."

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Was watching the movie State of Grace last week (it's based on The Westies). is. this not the same set that was used for the Lupertazzi Social Club? FWIW this is the unnamed mob families social club.The background is what caught my eye.

View attachment 792271

We all did, its as much of a consensus you'll ever get on this site :laugh:

That reminded of Chris talking back to Tony when they had his intervention :laugh:
Sucks because that’s exactly what ended up happening, at age 50. It’s very eerie looking back at that scene now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad