The slide continues. The Carey Prices lose 3-1 vs Pittsburgh.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Watched the game yesterday, all I could say is you can clearly see the Pens from the get go wanted it more then us. If it wasn't for Condon and Kessel:laugh:, would have been pretty ugly.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
I'm beginning to wonder if the tailspin woildnt have happened if the Habs best th Bruins or Wings last month. They were playing well up to those games (especially in the Boston game) but lost both games in quick fashion because they made key mistakes. They lost their confidence afterwards.

If you play the worst hockey in franchise history after two simple losses, you have an (bigger) issue (than confidence).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I still can't believe Therrien's post-game comments about how the team was in awe of the Penguins, how they were intimidated by them.

I don't recall ever hearing an NHL team holding the opposition to such high esteem that they give the impression that they don't deserve to be on the same ice.

If they were so easily intimidated by the Pens, how will they react against the Hawks?

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I still can't believe Therrien's post-game comments about how the team was in awe of the Penguins, how they were intimidated by them.

I don't recall ever hearing an NHL team holding the opposition to such high esteem that they give the impression that they don't deserve to be on the same ice.

If they were so easily intimidated by the Pens, how will they react against the Hawks?

Therrien might just forfeit.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007

Grind their tears

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think I heard a coach say this before once but it was a bottom place team full of youngsters, so that actually can make sense.
Habs finished atop the conference for a couple of years, they're even higher in the standings than Pittsburgh. Condon, our rookie goalie, absolutely robbed Crosby and other pens, so he definitely wasn't intimidated. So who was?? Beaulieu?? I doubt it. He's faced stars before. So ghetto and carr?? Two players?..

It was a terrible excuse.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Ok, I got that. When should we come back then?

It is your choice. I made up my mind, that is when I see that the organization acting proactively instead of plodding along. Quite frankly I am tired of seeing the same script for the last 15 years, always needing to rely on a goalie to bail the team out.

Price is turning 29 this year. We only have four more years or so until we see the law of diminishing returns take effect. Inaction for two more seasons will sink this team, especially with other teams getting better.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Hilarious excuse. These Pens are not the Pens of yesteryear. Kunitz is DONE. The rest of the team sans Malkin is struggling to find their scoring ways. Their D corps besides Letang? Not that special. Kessel? Struggling and seen in Toronto countless times. These Pens are beatable and not scary at all.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Did you seriously compare Mark Barberio to Steven Stamkos? Wow.

Obviously you have trouble with comprehension so I'll try to spell it out for you a little more clearly - if Montreal went for the BEST COACH AVAILABLE, rather than the best FRENCH coach available, we would be in a much better position. Bottom line. Why does the coach have to be French? So he can give interviews to RDS? Or for Radio? It's beyond ridiculous at this point...

And can you honestly say that Desharnais deserves to be a number one center in the NHL? How can you justify playing him in that role? Why are all young players buried by Therrien?

As far as Quebec born players in the organization you're misinformed - as Bergevin alluded to in his inaugural press conference -

The new GM is also in favour of increasing the French presence on a team, once known as the Flying Frenchmen, that had only two francophone regulars last season, Mathieu Darche and Desharnais.

"The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is here in our backyard," he said. "My vision is to put people in place to make sure we don't miss guys from Quebec.

"The goal is to win, but there are good Quebec players all around the league and we'll do the best we can to not miss them. Right now we have one Quebec scout. We'll have more than one. It's a priority for me. We'll start with that."

So yes there is an inherent desire to draft Franco's, from the top brass.

Drafted by Bergevin include:

Charles Hudon - 2012
Jeremy Gregoire - 2013
Zachary Fucale - 2013
Daniel Audette - 2014
Simon Bourque - 2015

I'm not criticizing these picks, simply pointing out that there are several QMJHL French players drafted and in the organization.

No need to be condescending, I very much comprehend everything you're saying.

1. I am not comparing Stamkos and Barberio as players. I took Stamkos to illustrate that Toronto has the extra incentive (and public pressure) to get him... yes because he is good but also because he is a hometown boy. I mean I could have provided you with other examples of local players drafted or signed by a western Canadian teams, Ottawa region, States such as Minnesota, Michigan or New-York. The point is, no matter if we're talking about a star player or a utility player, teams tend to favor a local player over another - when they can.

2. As for the coaching situation, why would we be in such a better position? Let say we fire Therrien tomorrow. Who is the anglo only coach that I am missing out on in favour of a bilingual coach? Dallas Eakin? The Walrus? Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying and while you may be factually "right" theoretically, in practice there is just not so big a difference between the available coaches to go through the hassle of NOT going with a bilingual one.

3. Desharnais deserves to be on the team and Therrien is using him the way he thinks he should. This has nothing to do with which language he speaks. Does Therrien always optimize ice time? Maybe, maybe not. We all have our opinion on the topic.

4. Of course we should make an effort in drafting more local players when their value is the similar. Every single team do. The only issue I have right now is that our scouting staff in the Q seems to be either weak or they're doing a good job but Timmins is not listening to their recommendation. It baffles me that we would pick Connor Crisp before Anthony Duclair.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Drafted by Bergevin include:

Charles Hudon - 2012
Jeremy Gregoire - 2013
Zachary Fucale - 2013
Daniel Audette - 2014
Simon Bourque - 2015

I'm not criticizing these picks, simply pointing out that there are several QMJHL French players drafted and in the organization.

Forget it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad