Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very critical of refs with speech laced with profanities at least twice so far at the tourney (shown on TV). A bit arrogant/cocky in comments.

Funny thing, totally unknown to me when I gave my thoughts, I found this link this morning:

Might be unreliable clickbait, though, so again I stress that I made my comments independently.

It ran though my mind a little but not worried about it. He actually showed this a bit with the Habs Remember this...

YvlZN8c.png

When I see this stuff, it's usually one or the other.
Cocky and it back fires
or
Confident and he's earning his star status by being in your face about it. Basically, what are you going to do about it? He's still young with lots of energy to spend.

I do think MSL would prefer a more even keel attitude. The one thing with our new management is they know how to manage situations like this. Not go all aggressive on the kid and beat him down.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
A lot would have to be figured out but where there is a will, there is a way.
There probably is not a will to do it though. The GMs might like it but the owners won't care as they're still spending the same aggregate amount of money. The PA won't support it as in practice this mechanism would be a transfer from veterans to young players due to aging curves and the RFA structure, and veterans are the ones with the power in the NHLPA. There might be a will on the ownership side to threaten a lockout to get rid of guaranteed contracts in general but that's a different thing entirely.

Very critical of refs with speech laced with profanities at least twice so far at the tourney (shown on TV). A bit arrogant/cocky in comments.
If anything I've found it encouraging. I'm happy to see some real fire and competitivness and the Habs have been a team full of quiet unassuming nice guys for way too long.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
If the Habs want to sign him to a contract that's reflective of his worth today and not what they project his worth to be over the next several years.

Then they should negotiate a short-term bridge deal.
This is what MB would do and it always backfired. Price, Gallagher , Subban and Pacioretty all had bridge deals I believe. The Habs benefited but then overpaid on all contracts for past performance and anchored the team moving forward.

Bet on your development and players

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Funny thing, totally unknown to me when I gave my thoughts, I found this link this morning:

Might be unreliable clickbait, though, so again I stress that I made my comments independently.
Could be a combination of competitiveness and lack of maturity. Still not overly concerned, unless it becomes an ongoing thing. Haven't seen anything beyond what lots of players express towards the refs at every single game.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This is what MB would do and it always backfired. Price, Gallagher , Subban and Pacioretty all had bridge deals I believe. The Habs benefited but then overpaid on all contracts for past performance and anchored the team moving forward.

Bergevin did very well on the Gallagher deal. He bridged Price and Pacioretty but that made sense at the time and he ended up doing a good job signing those guys after the bridge. The Subban bridge never made any sense.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Bergevin did very well on the Gallagher deal. He bridged Price and Pacioretty but that made sense at the time and he ended up doing a good job signing those guys after the bridge. The Subban bridge never made any sense.
It’s the idea that bridge in your prime only to have to pay more for after their prime. It’s illogical and bad management

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

He only really bridged Subban. Gallagher signed a 6 year deal right out of his ELC that ran from 15-16 to 20-21 for age 23 to 28. Pacioretty got a 2 year bridge after his ELC (11-12 and 12-13) from Gauthier before he was established, and then Bergevin gave him a 6 year deal that ran from age 25-30. Price similarly got a 2 year bridge from Gauthier (10-11 and 11-12), and then Bergevin gave him a 6 year deal for 12-13 to 17-18 for age 25-30 as well.

Reactions: 417

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s the idea that bridge in your prime only to have to pay more for after their prime. It’s illogical and bad management
I completely forgot both Price and Pacioretty were bridged by Pierre Gauthier, not Bergevin. Both of those bridge deals made sense. Price was bridged after the Halak dilemma and Pacioretty still hadn’t proved anything if I remember correctly. Gallagher was signed to a long term, medium risk deal at a number that ended up being a bargain. He didn’t sign a bridge deal. As for Subban, that never made sense because he had proved enough to get a long term contract. Therrien was on RDS flaming Subban before he was hired by Bergevin so I’m not surprised they viewed him a risk. That situation was handled poorly.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Let's just say I'm much happier that his passion is being expressed on the ice and towards the opponents and refs instead of on his bench towards his teammates and equipment manager :sarcasm:

Reactions: Rozz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I completely forgot both Price and Pacioretty were bridged by Pierre Gauthier, not Bergevin. Both of those bridge deals made sense. Price was bridged after the Halak dilemma and Pacioretty still hadn’t proved anything if I remember correctly. Gallagher was signed to a long term, medium risk deal at a number that ended up being a bargain. He didn’t sign a bridge deal. As for Subban, that never made sense because he had proved enough to get a long term contract. Therrien was on RDS flaming Subban before he was hired by Bergevin so I’m not surprised they viewed him a risk. That situation was handled poorly.
The summer of 2013 was… pretty funny. We had bridged Subban to a ridiculous low bridge deal and folks defended it. Then Subban wins the Norris and we wind up giving 9 mil later on. So incredibly dumb.

And then in the cheesiest move ever, MB trades the guy before the new deal kicked in. It was such a Bergevin way of doing things and encapsulates everything that’s wrong with him. What a stupid dumbass he was.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
That really depends on where you are in the cup window. Having 8-10m players signed for cheap might make sense in some salary structures, even if you pay for it later. Depends if youre in the beginning middle or end of the window.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The summer of 2013 was… pretty funny. We had bridged Subban to a ridiculous low bridge deal and folks defended it. Then Subban wins the Norris and we wind up giving 9 mil later on. So incredibly dumb.

And then in the cheesiest move ever, MB trades the guy before the new deal kicked in. It was such a Bergevin way of doing things and encapsulates everything that’s wrong with him. What a stupid dumbass he was.
Considering Subban only had two years left of exceptional play, glad he was traded. It would have been hell on earth for him here with his rapid decline.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Haven't been watching, is it really that bad?
No.

Its a couple of instances that would otherwise be completely ignored as just general opposition smack talk and nothing to freak out about.

But alas, the Habs fan microscope is one of if not the BIGGEST on the planet unfortunately so every little thing can get blown up uselessly as content

So here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: le_sean

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No.

Its a couple of instances that would otherwise be completely ignored as just general opposition smack talk and nothing to freak out about.

But alas, the Habs fan microscope is one of if not the BIGGEST on the planet unfortunately so every little thing can get blown up uselessly as content

So here we are.
I was doing the crying motion and scoreboard point when I was 12. It’s extremely tame. The fact some Habs fans are taken aback is ridiculous. I guess they’d all start bawling their eyes out if they heard what was said on a daily basis at the pro level.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad