Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Imagine when he gets to the point where he's no longer deferring to his linemates.
First of all I don't find he's always deferring to his linemates.
I see it like he's still learning to discern when and when not to defer to a linemate.
Every player struggles with that and Marty stresses it. He wants to see the best play possible given the circumstances.

For me no longer deferring would mean he's probably due for a correction read demotion. :dunno:

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
For me, Slaf is first in terms of interest. Dach would have been second.

The rest of my top 8 in interest to see how they develop are (by position):
  • Montembeault
  • Guhle
  • Struble
  • Xhekaj
  • Newhook
  • Roy
The way Suzuki is developping this year is probably the 2nd most important story after Slaf . There's a world of difference between a 65pts and 80-85pts center

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I say wasted simply because Dach and Dvorak to some extent weren't available.
We have no idea how much pushing players down would move the needle.
I agree we are probably where I expected we would be which was always .500 with a healthy center line.

However what I don't believe is that pushing talent lower automatically makes our team better as some do.
I guess what I'm saying is next year will be the evaluation season I was expecting this year to be.
My expectations were that we would be flirting with the bubble and I don't see it now.
Doesn't mean I'm right. It's very possible we end up exactly where we are supposed to be in two years time.
Are you factoring in additional talent with the $18,000,000 of available cap space?

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I think they will trade away Josh Anderson this summer even if it is for 7th round pick. He just does not fit with MSL. We are not in need of cap space now, but he is just not working well now in this team. They can sign some free agent instead for 2-3 years who would contribute more. This young core is sick of constant losing and they are ready for wildcard fight next year.

We need to pay, to get rid of that scrub.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
First of all I don't find he's always deferring to his linemates.
I didn't say he was always deferring to his linemates either.
I see it like he's still learning to discern when and when not to defer to a linemate.
Every player struggles with that and Marty stresses it. He wants to see the best play possible given the circumstances.
It wasn’t criticism.
For me no longer deferring would mean he's probably due for a correction read demotion. :dunno:
I'd just like to see him be a bit more greedy. I'm beyond thrilled with his progression this year and have been in his corner from the jump.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I didn't say he was always deferring to his linemates either.

It wasn’t criticism.

I'd just like to see him be a bit more greedy. I'm beyond thrilled with his progression this year and have been in his corner from the jump.
Your original statement "No Longer Deferring" is quite specific.
I can't decipher it other than not at all.
I wrote the exact opposite to make a point.

BTW I didn't think you were criticizing him but I also didn't think your statement was valid.
Slaf has to find the proper balance between the two as do we apparently.

Is it really a concern that mediocre players no longer have a place on the team?
Your not getting it.
I'm concerned they won't get dumped for next season.
How many roster spots do you see?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
We need to pay, to get rid of that scrub.
I'd rather Gallagher 1000x over Anderson.

At least with Gally you can put him on the 4th line and he can still be somewhat effective. And he plays with lots of heart. I still appreciate his game and don't mind him one bit.

Anderson is just a play killer and does absolutely nothing out there. Makes his entire line redundant. And he takes up a top 9 spot. Habs have to figure a way to move him asap. Hopefully this summer

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

BTW I didn't think you were criticizing him but I also didn't think your statement was valid.

Your not getting it.
I'm concerned they won't get dumped for next season.
How many roster spots do you see?
Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Zegras-Dach
Dvorak-Monahan-Anderson
Roy-Evans-Armia
spare: Gallagher
waive/Trade/Drop: Pezetta, RHP, Ylonen to create the three roster spots

Monahan-Montour
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard
spares: Barron, Harris
waived/Trade/Drop: Kovacevic to create the roster spot

What stops us from dropping these four low ceiling players for the much better incoming guys? Nothing.

We can even add Toffoli if we can move just one of either Dvorak or Anderson.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes, agreed, it's quite specific in that it did NOT have the word “always” in it. He's already improved in this aspect compared to earlier in the season and last year. So he's headed in the right decision, but I also think he's a playmaker more than he's a shooter/goal scorer, so maybe it's just in his DNA as a player.
Like you said, he needs to find the proper balance and like I was also suggesting. That's all.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Good to see Slaf getting his offensive game going and hopefully he gets gets his defensive acumen going, baby-steps.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Zegras-Dach
Dvorak-Monahan-Anderson
Roy-Evans-Armia
spare: Gallagher
waive/Trade/Drop: Pezetta, RHP, Ylonen to create the three roster spots

Monahan-Montour
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard
spares: Barron, Harris
waived/Trade/Drop: Kovacevic to create the roster spot

What stops us from dropping these four low ceiling players for the much better incoming guys? Nothing.

We can even add Toffoli if we can move just one of either Dvorak or Anderson.
I'd like them to be even more aggressive and dump Dvorak while they are at it.
I gotta say though I don't see us acquiring any of Zegras Monahan or Montour.

The first will likely cost far too much of the kind of capital a rebuilding team is loathe to spend.
Refer back to your stance on Dubois vs the group here who were opposed to it for that reason alone never mind the ensuing contract.

The second player will likely get an offer elsewhere we won't want to match or top particularly with a good post season.

The third is not what we need on the back-end we won't spend a dime on that type of player.
I'd actually be very surprised if we spend a dime on a Dman period.

I'm hoping Hughes continues to surprise us with moves we don't see coming.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'd rather Gallagher 1000x over Anderson.

At least with Gally you can put him on the 4th line and he can still be somewhat effective. And he plays with lots of heart. I still appreciate his game and don't mind him one bit.

Anderson is just a play killer and does absolutely nothing out there. Makes his entire line redundant. And he takes up a top 9 spot. Habs have to figure a way to move him asap. Hopefully this summer
300000000000000000000000%.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'd like them to be even more aggressive and dump Dvorak while they are at it.
I gotta say though I don't see us acquiring any of Zegras Monahan or Montour.

The first will likely cost far too much of the kind of capital a rebuilding team is loathe to spend.
Refer back to your stance on Dubois vs the group here who were opposed to it for that reason alone never mind the ensuing contract.

The second player will likely get an offer elsewhere we won't want to match or top particularly with a good post season.

The third is not what we need on the back-end we won't spend a dime on that type of player.
I'd actually be very surprised if we spend a dime on a Dman period.

I'm hoping Hughes continues to surprise us with moves we don't see coming.
Agreed on Montour and Monahan.

Montour is not what we will need mid-long term and i fear Monahan is too much risks to take on considering we are at least 3 years away from contending.

Zegras i'm on the fence. Not completly against it. We need pure talent and certainly showed he is full of it. His character is probably what is an unknown for me and i won't act like i know anything about it. I would put complete faith in Hugues to assess this part.

Reactions: Rapala

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Good to see Slaf getting his offensive game going and hopefully he gets gets his defensive acumen going, baby-steps.
His defensive game is the most impressive part of his game so far imo. Not very many teenagers are as responsible as he is in any league, much less the NHL before they’re even 20. And that should get even better. Even if he tapped out at 2nd line production offensively, the value of having somebody being able to help keep pucks out of our net would more then make up for that.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agreed on Montour and Monahan.

Montour is not what we will need mid-long term and i fear Monahan is too much risks to take on considering we are at least 3 years away from contending.

Zegras i'm on the fence. Not completly against it. We need pure talent and certainly showed he is full of it. His character is probably what is an unknown for me and i won't act like i know anything about it. I would put complete faith in Hugues to assess this part.
Exactly.
Zegras would have to check a number of boxes before they spend the assets to get him.
I don't know if he does I can only guess.
The good news is HuGo knows.

Reactions: Benstheman

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
His defensive game is the most impressive part of his game so far imo. Not very many teenagers are as responsible as he is in any league, much less the NHL before they’re even 20. And that should get even better. Even if he tapped out at 2nd line production offensively, the value of having somebody being able to help keep pucks out of our net would more then make up for that.
Of course he'll improve,he has to to warrant the pick. You must have missed the goals where he was zoned out.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why ? Hate on Bergevin would be more appropriate. Gally is giving everything he can even if it's not much these days
Gallaghers a clown and a cancer. Look at him act on the ice, very immature player. Hes has trouble managing his emotions even at 32. Theres a reason he was never captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad