Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They laughed at him.....
They called him 4 eyes and they laughed at him.......
They said he couldn't breathe properly and they laughed at him.......
They stuck him in the school lockers and they laughed at him.......
andrew-zadarnowski-juraj-slafkovsky-is-currently-training-v0-imdf0o6kvk9b1.jpg

Now he's doing spin'o'rama no look kucherovesque passes through the slot.... who's laughing now....

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Slafkovsky has an infectious aura. He seems to understand the importance of honing his craft as well.

Perfect attitude for this market.
Which is kind of why dominating lesser leagues isn't all it's cracked up to be development wise. By going to a higher level league where you will be challenged, where you will struggle it can be a big part in driving home the message of import it is to always be getting better.

Slaf always had it in him, and is a big reason why they drafted him but those early struggles likely reinforced that attitude/work ethic/desire.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Like to get 25 goals out of Slaf next season. I always aim for 100 goals out of first line. Leaves 37 each between Suzuki and Caufield. Should be doable.

I like at least 280 team goals scored. If we add top 6 forward hoping for 70-75 out of second line. Around 23-24 each. If we get 45 out of third line. Around 30 out of 4th line and 30 from defense. Chip in 10 or so from callups and 13th forwards. Be above 280.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
They laughed at him.....
View attachment 850554

Now he's doing spin'o'rama no look kucherovesque passes through the slot.... who's laughing now....
Before the locker part, I thought you were describing HF.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Like to get 25 goals out of Slaf next season. I always aim for 100 goals out of first line. Leaves 37 each between Suzuki and Caufield. Should be doable.

I like at least 280 team goals scored. If we add top 6 forward hoping for 70-75 out of second line. Around 23-24 each. If we get 45 out of third line. Around 30 out of 4th line and 30 from defense. Chip in 10 or so from callups and 13th forwards. Be above 280.
LOL 280 goals is a pipe dream.
Let's try to get 250 goals next season.
So far only Toronto and the Rangers who should get there in the east Dallas Edmonton and Colorado in the west have scored 280 goals so far this season.
Kirby Dach coming in isn't going to get us close to 280 on his own.
There is still a huge talent gap we have to overcome.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
LOL 280 goals is a pipe dream.
Let's try to get 250 goals next season.
So far only Toronto and the Rangers who should get there in the east Dallas Edmonton and Colorado in the west have scored 280 goals so far this season.
Kirby Dach coming in isn't going to get us close to 280 on his own.
There is still a huge talent gap we have to overcome.
Heard Pollock say during radio interview many years ago 280 near bottom for Cup contender. Hopefully 300+ more.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
They laughed at him.....
View attachment 850554

Funny, because banner behind him says: "Don't give up and work hard". I guess it fits well to his off-season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can't get over the fact we drafted a first liner first overall. The curse is slowly breaking....what has seemed like a given to 31 other franchises is finally happening to us...
And that we have a 1C. It's crazy being a Habs fan. Crazy. Crazy. Suzuki is also about to finish top 5 in selke votes, something that hasn't been done since Damphousse?

Reactions: Pomee

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Which is kind of why dominating lesser leagues isn't all it's cracked up to be development wise. By going to a higher level league where you will be challenged, where you will struggle it can be a big part in driving home the message of import it is to always be getting better.

Slaf always had it in him, and is a big reason why they drafted him but those early struggles likely reinforced that attitude/work ethic/desire.
It was never about “dominating lesser leagues.” It was about putting him in a situation where he wasn’t overwhelmed. And he was overwhelmed the first year and some change. It amazes me how people don’t get the concept.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It was never about “dominating lesser leagues.” It was about putting him in a situation where he wasn’t overwhelmed. And he was overwhelmed the first year and some change. It amazes me how people don’t get the concept.
Many posters absolutely said they wanted to see him dominate a lesser league before moving up. There were even calls for him to go to the CHL specifically for that.

Reactions: jrom and 417

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A big reason why they drafted him is his attitude. They knew that it wouldn’t be overwhelming for him. He’s made that obvious as well. He never got down on himself when struggling and he hasn’t been arrogant since being lights out.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Many posters absolutely said they wanted to see him dominate a lesser league before moving up. There were even calls for him to go to the CHL specifically for that.
It was one of the main arguments against having him in the NHL...man some people just trying to re-write history instead of just conceding they may have been wrong.

SMDH.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I couldn’t care less about what some people thought. I wouldn’t have had a problem with the CHL if he was getting reps in. He was struggling.

Reactions: ReHabs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Meh give up the good fight man. People are more interested in being "right" than actually understanding a position in this thread. Super toxic.
There's no freaking way you just wrote this lol

You have no shame, on some levels, I admire it lol.

Reactions: Guy Larose

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Exactly. You're exhibit A. Plug your ears and repeat "you said he's a bust" for me plz.
Nah man there's no way you're actually writing this and trying to change your history. There's a litany of posts on this page, particular exchanges that I had with you and that other guy you just quoted.

You guys called me all kinds of things, made fun of my "hockey acumen".

But now you want to play the victim and "poor me" routine?

You know what, if I was as petty as you're trying to make me seem, i'd pull out receipts, but I've told you before...you don't want that smoke lol

But please, be humble.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I couldn’t care less about what some people thought. I wouldn’t have had a problem with the CHL if he was getting reps in. He was struggling.
Then why did you even reply to my post? If you never cared about Slaf dominating a lower league then my post wasn't about you.

And for the record Slaf wasn't overwhelmed at the NHL level last year. Slaf very clearly was improving and making progress throughout the year which almost by definition means he wasn't overwhelmed because when you are overwhelmed it's too much and you don't make progress. What you could say is that he wasn't ready to be a productive NHLer, but the caveat there being he was ready to play and learn at the NHL level which is what he did.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Exactly. You're exhibit A. Plug your ears and repeat "you said he's a bust" for me plz.
The person you’re quoting was so wrong on Kohtkaniemi, he almost needed to be right on Slafkovsky to save face. He’s just throwing darts at a wall to see what sticks. And that’s my problem with a lot of opinions on development. People don’t have an actual system. They just use hindsight and a prediction to back up their claims.

Reactions: Mrb1p

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The person you’re quoting was so wrong on Kohtkaniemi, he almost needed to be right on Slafkovsky to save face. He’s just throwing darts at a wall to see what sticks. And that’s my problem with a lot of opinions on development. People don’t have an actual system. They just use hindsight and a prediction to back up their claims.

I would say based on what has happened these last few years that I edge closer to 417s side of the development debate, but I have a lot more caveats on this. The issue isn't particularly with developing in the NHL, it would be allowing the space and having the people in place to allow it to happen.

The Bergevin regime development couldn't happen in the NHL and very rarely happened anywhere else, they didn't have the resources, they didn't see the value in it, and they didn't create an environment ripe with the right type of teachers for it to happen.

So I am less concerned about players being brought up too early because development is something this new regime believes can happen in the NHL where the previous regime were all about results and didn't care about tomorrow.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I would say based on what has happened these last few years that I edge closer to 417s side of the development debate, but I have a lot more caveats on this. The issue isn't particularly with developing in the NHL, it would be allowing the space and having the people in place to allow it to happen.

The Bergevin regime development couldn't happen in the NHL and very rarely happened anywhere else, they didn't have the resources, they didn't see the value in it, and they didn't create an environment ripe with the right type of teachers for it to happen.

So I am less concerned about players being brought up too early because development is something this new regime believes can happen in the NHL where the previous regime were all about results and didn't care about tomorrow.
You’re falling for the exception, not the rule when you’re saying you would go with 417’s way. And I would not trust that with majority of prospects.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You’re falling for the exception, not the rule when you’re saying you would fall for the 417’s way. And I would not trust that with majority of prospects.

I never said falling for his way, just that I have come closer to that view than I have ever had in the past.

You can develop in the NHL if you put a priority on development. If you don't have the right conditions for development then being in the NHL is not a good space for development. It's why we were able to take a shot on Newhook where Colorado didn't have the patience to do so. Colorado failed at developing Newhook because they had to push him into the NHL early and were in a space where he had to perform due to their expectations. We had all the space in the world to let Newhook grow and get those top 6 opportunities.

Developing in the NHL will happen less and less for Montreal as we shift into those playoff contention years but this regime is still more adept at doing it than the previous one.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I never said falling for his way, just that I have come closer to that view than I have ever had in the past.

You can develop in the NHL if you put a priority on development. If you don't have the right conditions for development then being in the NHL is not a good space for development. It's why we were able to take a shot on Newhook where Colorado didn't have the patience to do so. Colorado failed at developing Newhook because they had to push him into the NHL early and were in a space where he had to perform due to their expectations. We had all the space in the world to let Newhook grow and get those top 6 opportunities.

Developing in the NHL will happen less and less for Montreal as we shift into those playoff contention years but this regime is still more adept at doing it than the previous one.
The arguement I would bring up is that’s entirely situational on where our team was. St. Louis looks like a genius right now putting Slafkovsky on the first line as a last ditch effort before Hughes would’ve had to make a decision earlier in the year. Again, how we were handling him before he got to play with Suzuki and Caufield was not ideal. He stunk and I don’t see the upside of a teenager struggling while not getting any opportunities at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad