OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Are there not enough polling stations? Good on you and others to tough it out when there are long waits. One state was trying to reduce the number of polls then people cried voter suppression and I don't know what the final outcome was.

A Georgian voted at the same time and place as 2016 and also found the line longer although they could be rushing to beat the weather.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Unalaska Receives Special 'I Voted' Stickers

doe_stickers_0.jpg

I really like those

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Are there not enough polling stations? Good on you and others to tough it out when there are long waits. One state was trying to reduce the number of polls then people cried voter suppression and I don't know what the final outcome was.

A Georgian voted at the same time and place as 2016 and also found the line longer although they could be rushing to beat the weather.

There are a lot of voter suppression tactics being employed right now. Perhaps what you are referring to is Dodge City, Kansas, where the one polling place for the city of 13,000 majority Hispanic voters was moved from the city center to outside of city limits, to a place that has no parking, no sidewalks, and the nearest bus stop is a mile away? Designed and executed by Kris Kobach, who is known nationally for his voter suppression.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
No it was from the South and closing polls versus the Kansas relocation. I believe it was here:
An elections board decided not to close all but 2 polling places in a majority-black county in Georgia - CNN

In the end nothing came of it so it all worked out for one county. We're probably skirting the fine line between the general concept of voting on election day and politics that belong on page two so kudos to those that voted and moving on... It's windy as hell today. I doubt the neighbours will enjoy raking my leaves however I certainly appreciate them being blown off the tree rather than falling on the lawn.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
We could get 6+ inches of snow next week. I'm not looking forward to testing my new car on that, but I don't have my snows yet, so....

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Report: Votes Without Social Media Proof May Not Count

U.S.—Early reports indicate that votes not posted about on social media may not count toward the vote tally in any US election.
Election officials were able to confirm that voters who do not post at least one picture of themselves in a voting line, wearing an “I Voted” sticker, or at bare minimum tweet about how they voted might see their ballots tossed out as illegitimate.
“Fulfilling your civic duty is more than sharing an ‘I Voted’ sticker selfie, but it’s certainly not less,” election official Justin Gilbert said. “To that end, officials will be looking for hard proof of each individual’s vote, in the form of Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter photos. We advise sharing these images to every single social media account you use, just to be safe.”
“So get out there and vote, but more importantly, tell everyone about it. Loudly. All day long.”
This revelation could put a wrinkle in earlier election predictions, especially in key races.
“Frankly, the more millennials your state has, the better,” Gilbert explained. “Since self-referential social media posts will likely be decisive this year, areas with sizable elderly populations are at a severe disadvantage. Telegrams, handwritten letters, and e-mails from AOL or Juno simply do not count.”

Reactions: jBuds

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Report: Votes Without Social Media Proof May Not Count

U.S.—Early reports indicate that votes not posted about on social media may not count toward the vote tally in any US election.
Election officials were able to confirm that voters who do not post at least one picture of themselves in a voting line, wearing an “I Voted” sticker, or at bare minimum tweet about how they voted might see their ballots tossed out as illegitimate.
“Fulfilling your civic duty is more than sharing an ‘I Voted’ sticker selfie, but it’s certainly not less,” election official Justin Gilbert said. “To that end, officials will be looking for hard proof of each individual’s vote, in the form of Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter photos. We advise sharing these images to every single social media account you use, just to be safe.”
“So get out there and vote, but more importantly, tell everyone about it. Loudly. All day long.”
This revelation could put a wrinkle in earlier election predictions, especially in key races.
“Frankly, the more millennials your state has, the better,” Gilbert explained. “Since self-referential social media posts will likely be decisive this year, areas with sizable elderly populations are at a severe disadvantage. Telegrams, handwritten letters, and e-mails from AOL or Juno simply do not count.”

This may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read...

Reactions: ZZamboni

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Blows my mind that WNY voted in an actual felon.
Assuming this is about Collins, though I'm not a fan politically or personally (via experience), he's only been charged, not convicted. That's a meaningful distinction. That race was also very tight in the end and sometimes the taint of a scandal ends up 'only' being the difference between an expected 10 point win and a 1 point squeaker, especially in the current partisan climate.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Agree, And I can’t believe NY voted in Cuomo. I wish NYC would secede from the rest of the state.

Without being too political, upstate NYC would be West Virginia north without NYC tax base. NYS has good public schools, good state colleges, good infrastructure (just drive down to the PA border and see the difference in the roads when you cross), and great state parks. Upstate NY doesn't have the population or income to afford that without NYC.

The divide between NYC and the rest of the state politically is a real thing. But, just think of NYC as the rich assholes at the end of the street who are driving your property value up.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
anyone here go from an office job to a job in the field? how's the change?
Love it. I went from sitting on my ass all day to working in a hospital doing inventory control. It's fast paced with a lot of pressure, but that's how I like it. Only issue is, I'll likely have to go back to a desk job to make good money. Oyeeee

Reactions: Freeeeedom

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Love it. I went from sitting on my ass all day to working in a hospital doing inventory control. It's fast paced with a lot of pressure, but that's how I like it. Only issue is, I'll likely have to go back to a desk job to make good money. Oyeeee

I work in construction, my career path is either become a project manager, estimator, or a site superintendent. Right now I’m an estimator whose also a surveyor, part of me wants to get into a purely onsite job like grooming to be a Site Super. At the same time the hours are longer but the money is better. I don’t know what I want, all I know is I could never been an office guy all day every day.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Without being too political, upstate NYC would be West Virginia north without NYC tax base. NYS has good public schools, good state colleges, good infrastructure (just drive down to the PA border and see the difference in the roads when you cross), and great state parks. Upstate NY doesn't have the population or income to afford that without NYC.

The divide between NYC and the rest of the state politically is a real thing. But, just think of NYC as the rich *******s at the end of the street who are driving your property value up.

Spot on. Upstate NY would become a total ****hole if they were separate.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

The divide between NYC and the rest of the state politically is a real thing. But, just think of NYC as the rich *******s at the end of the street who are driving your property value up.

I’m Aware and personally I’d gladly take it lol.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agree, And I can’t believe NY voted in Cuomo. I wish NYC would secede from the rest of the state.

I can.

Voter apathy and no opponents that really resonated across the state are why he won.

Plus, people weren't ticked off enough to swap out so many entrenched members of the state legislature. So, Cuomo remaining in office isn't surprising to me.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I can.

Voter apathy and no opponents that really resonated across the state are why he won.

Plus, people weren't ticked off enough to swap out so many entrenched members of the state legislature. So, Cuomo remaining in office isn't surprising to me.
We can all agree that no one really likes Cuomo, right?

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I work in construction, my career path is either become a project manager, estimator, or a site superintendent. Right now I’m an estimator whose also a surveyor, part of me wants to get into a purely onsite job like grooming to be a Site Super. At the same time the hours are longer but the money is better. I don’t know what I want, all I know is I could never been an office guy all day every day.

Pretty well my career path as well if I stick it out. Only difference is I started in the field. I think a good balance of field/office would be ideal.

What kind of construction are you primarily focused on?

------------------

Also, what are the States currently voting for?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Pretty well my career path as well if I stick it out. Only difference is I started in the field. I think a good balance of field/office would be ideal.

What kind of construction are you primarily focused on?

I’m in Road Construction and Sewer/Watermain. I went to school for civil engineering but much prefer the construction side opposed to the design/consulting which I hate...I like civil stuff (Roads/Highways/Bridges/Damns/Earthmoving, Rail etc...)

Reactions: brian_griffin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad