Speculation: The Sharks are rebuilding, how do they proceed? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I'm okay with Burns going back to defense. It's funny to think how people were pretty outraged when he first got moved to forward and now it's just about the same now that he's going back to defense. He just doesn't have the stamina to keep up the wild wookie playstyle that he has at forward. I don't even think you can ask him to hold back on it, he just seems like a go go go when you can kind of guy.

There are essentially two things that DW has to figure out now and that's the LD situation and one more for sure top 9(preferably top 6) quality forward. I think DW's done an unspectacular offseason, which is much preferred over the Vancouver explosion offseason.

At least Vancouver had two superstar goalies to piss away.

Wait is that a good thing?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doug Wilson is an ex nhl player that stepped into an office role early in the sharks franchise. He has some expertise and insight that a normal poster here will never have, but he didn't go to GM school and likely did a lot of figuring it out as he went when he got promoted.

These ppl are no infallible and the biggest reason we couldn't do their job is because we don't command any respect. We have no reputation and no connections. But knowledge wise it's not an unattainable plane.

Not saying an hf poster could step in and take over, but many here criticize moves and they get it right. So meh

This is pretty much what I was trying to say. The connections portion and the contract portions would provide the greatest difficulty for the average person in a role like that. But intelligence-wise, it's not ridiculous to believe some people could be on par with the people that work within the organizations.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
At least Vancouver had two superstar goalies to piss away.

Wait is that a good thing?

It would've been a good thing if they didn't insist on playing mindgames with the both of them and eventually drive them both away as a result.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Completely off-topic but I didn't notice how badass the Lightning D got this offseason:

Matt Carle
Jason Garrison
Anton Stralman
Victor Hedman
Eric Brewer
Radko Gudas
Andrej Sustr

And most of them offensively minded. Scary defense if you as me.

Not that impressive, just expensive.

Doug Wilson is an ex nhl player that stepped into an office role early in the sharks franchise. He has some expertise and insight that a normal poster here will never have, but he didn't go to GM school and likely did a lot of figuring it out as he went when he got promoted.

These ppl are no infallible and the biggest reason we couldn't do their job is because we don't command any respect. We have no reputation and no connections. But knowledge wise it's not an unattainable plane.

Not saying an hf poster could step in and take over, but many here criticize moves and they get it right. So meh

Sure, but at the end of the day winning earns respect and we'd be doing that because we wouldn't fall into the same traps people-who-played-the-game do.

Relationships can help get trades done, but lets face it, there are so many desperate gm's out there that they would work with anyone. Remember MacTavish earlier this year? And it's not like DW uses his relationships to sign any decent UFAs anyways.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
It can and often is both tongue-in-cheek and passive aggressive. It also conveniently avoided the topic.

Sports. Psychology.

I think there may be something here.

Mr./Mrs.Floyd,
I am not going to try to mend fences on this, you have your ideas, I have mine.

I am a fan of this team, I suffered through an 11 win season and still bought my tickets the following year. To me, this is sports, that they say, "On any given Sunday" rings true to me. These players and management do not owe me anything, I am a paying customer to be entertained. I don't NEED them, they don't NEED me. I choose to use my hard earned money to go and watch them play a game. Win or lose, I made that decision.

I've played this game for many years as well, it doesn't make me any kind of authority on the innards of the professional game but I've won championships that I shouldn't have and lost some that I should have won.

Sports. It's a game.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not that impressive, just expensive.

Sure, but at the end of the day winning earns respect and we'd be doing that because we wouldn't fall into the same traps people-who-played-the-game do.

Relationships can help get trades done, but lets face it, there are so many desperate gm's out there that they would work with anyone. Remember MacTavish earlier this year? And it's not like DW uses his relationships to sign any decent UFAs anyways.

What trap would that be? Instead posters here would try to "money ball" their way to try and build a team. It sounds easy to just trade or sign or draft player x but judging by the amount of GM turnover every year, its not.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
What trap would that be? Instead posters here would try to "money ball" their way to try and build a team. It sounds easy to just trade or sign or draft player x but judging by the amount of GM turnover every year, its not.

For starters, I wouldn't overreact to a playoff series loss like McPhee, Gillis or Wilson. I wouldn't avoid European players (and subsequently overrate NA skaters). I wouldn't have pylons (veteran defensive defenseman) on my team. I wouldn't care if Seguin or Jeff Carter enjoyed partying! I would sign players to super long, cap circumventing deals because they are good. I would stress skating ability and not put as much stock into toughness, grit or intangibles.

And if we lost, it wouldn't be because of "leadership," it would be because I didn't do my job well enough. A gm has his hands on every part of the team, and i'd accept a level of responsibility that reflects that.

Hope I covered everything. :)

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
For starters, I wouldn't overreact to a playoff series loss like McPhee, Gillis or Wilson. I wouldn't avoid European players (and subsequently overrate NA skaters). I wouldn't have pylons (veteran defensive defenseman) on my team. I wouldn't care if Seguin or Jeff Carter enjoyed partying! I would sign players to super long, cap circumventing deals because they are good. I would stress skating ability and not put as much stock into toughness, grit or intangibles.

And if we lost, it wouldn't be because of "leadership," it would be because I didn't do my job well enough. A gm has his hands on every part of the team, and i'd accept a level of responsibility that reflects that.

Wilson hasn't over reacted

Wilson is heavily focused on European players at the moment

The problem with cap circumventing contracts is often the other good players on the roster start thinking: when do I get mine. DW has to already pay a premium for FAs, I don't think it would be a good idea to add that to extensions.

According to your logic, 29 GMs didn't do their jobs well every year.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Wilson hasn't over reacted

Wilson is heavily focused on European players at the moment

The problem with cap circumventing contracts is often the other good players on the roster start thinking: when do I get mine. DW has to already pay a premium for FAs, I don't think it would be a good idea to add that to extensions.

According to your logic, 29 GMs didn't do their jobs well every year.

Lombardi did well.

I'm still not seeing the problem with the contracts. LA doesn't win the Cup if you tack an extra $1-2M on Brown, Quick.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

You tout Lombardi yet he does the things you are constantly railing against DW for. And off ice conduct matters to every single franchise. Yes players are going to go out and party but when it effects the team or has potential legal ramifications, it has to be addressed. Everyone points to Setoguchi being moved as an attempt to say DW has an anti-partying policy yet Seto missed practices and meetings, his attitude sucked and his play dropped off on top of his night life antics.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
You tout Lombardi yet he does the things you are constantly railing against DW for. And off ice conduct matters to every single franchise. Yes players are going to go out and party but when it effects the team or has potential legal ramifications, it has to be addressed. Everyone points to Setoguchi being moved as an attempt to say DW has an anti-partying policy yet Seto missed practices and meetings, his attitude sucked and his play dropped off on top of his night life.

I don't care that Seto partied, i care that he's a bad hockey player. Lombardi might have pylons but he had:

-Soft Euros
-Cap circumvention
-Traded for good players (that also happen to enjoy partying)

I'm not saying trade for Aaron Hernandez, but the partying thing is completely overblown. I'd take gm's to the cleaners with that since they care way too much about that stuff. Imagine playing against a team that picked up Jeff Carter, Tyler Seguin and Alexander Radulov for barely anything. You would hate playing against team -because it would good.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The fact is that GMs in this day and age still overvalue grit and leadership and make mistakes. Look at free agency this off season and you see a ridiculous amount of overpayments on players who simply aren't good.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
The fact is that GMs in this day and age still overvalue grit and leadership and make mistakes. Look at free agency this off season and you see a ridiculous amount of overpayments on players who simply aren't good.

Only to an extent. Goals have always been what gets the biggest contracts.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
I've won the cup 5 times in a row in Be a GM mode in NHL 14. Just sayin. :sarcasm:

Henceforth you shall be known as "multi cup winning poster Mafoofoo"

I'd do better than Burke or Nonis. Sakic's looking like a dummy too.

I don't care that Seto partied, i care that he's a bad hockey player. Lombardi might have pylons but he had:

-Soft Euros
-Cap circumvention
-Traded for good players (that also happen to enjoy partying)

I'm not saying trade for Aaron Hernandez, but the partying thing is completely overblown. I'd take gm's to the cleaners with that since they care way too much about that stuff. Imagine playing against a team that picked up Jeff Carter, Tyler Seguin and Alexander Radulov for barely anything. You would hate playing against team -because it would good.

It's really nice and easy to type out all that you would do, removed from the situation with nothing but your internet pride on the line. It's a far far different thing when edicts come from above, you're under actual pressure, there are fiscal expectations to be met, and it's you know...in reality. You wouldn't 'overreact?" Are you a robot? How could you possibly know how you would act following a playoff loss?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If you guys honestly think Lou lam has been a good GM over the past 4 seasons then you're crazy. He lucked into one ridiculous SCF run where his team had absolutely no chance in the finals, and missed the playoffs the other 3 seasons. He has made awful signings, and his team will not contend for a long time because they will always be stuck in purgatory between 1st overall and 30th overall.

A lot of these GMs need to realize that you need to either be drafting 1st overall or 30th overall. They sign marginal UFAs to overpayments because they need to win a few more games when in reality they should be looking at prospects and then they don't give up necessary assets when they want to make a run. They aren't smart people at all.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Henceforth you shall be known as "multi cup winning poster Mafoofoo"

It's really nice and easy to type out all that you would do, removed from the situation with nothing but your internet pride on the line. It's a far far different thing when edicts come from above, you're under actual pressure, there are fiscal expectations to be met, and it's you know...in reality. You wouldn't 'overreact?" Are you a robot? How could you possibly know how you would act following a playoff loss?

It's losing a playoff series, it's not like somebody died.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If you guys honestly think Lou lam has been a good GM over the past 4 seasons then you're crazy. He lucked into one ridiculous SCF run where his team had absolutely no chance in the finals, and missed the playoffs the other 3 seasons. He has made awful signings, and his team will not contend for a long time because they will always be stuck in purgatory between 1st overall and 30th overall.

A lot of these GMs need to realize that you need to either be drafting 1st overall or 30th overall. They sign marginal UFAs to overpayments because they need to win a few more games when in reality they should be looking at prospects and then they don't give up necessary assets when they want to make a run. They aren't smart people at all.

Yeah because every prospect turns into an actual NHL player. Your stance is pure HF ageism at its finest. Picking 1st overall guarantees absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad