The Sens are tapped out? Yeah Right!

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
If you follow the boards and the media, you will get the impression that the Sen are tapped out, by which I mean they are not going to be anything more than lower tier playoff fodder until they tank and do a rebuild.

The impression others have is that of a borderline playoff team with a lower than average prospect pool. That is usually a recipe for mediocrity.

I'm predicting a 93-101 point season, but I do enjoy flying under the radar.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I sure hope the Sens don't turn into a fodder playoff team.

Last edited:

Ttracer*

Tanking is for losers like Toronto and Edmonton. We are lucky to have great hockey people in scouts, coaches and even the owner. As it is now we're pretty good, not a contender but inching our way closer with every game. We do have 3 of the best players, Anderson, Stone, Karlsson.. Time to surround them with talent then we'll be a force.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Say whaaaaaaa?

We're pretty much the opposite of "tapped out" at this stage, lots of upcoming youngsters and good prospects in the system. Whoever makes such a statement doesn't know shiz about the Sens.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think we're a wild card team again this year who might challenge Detroit and Montreal for 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
If you follow the boards and the media, you will get the impression that the Sen are tapped out, by which I mean they are not going to be anything more than lower tier playoff fodder until they tank and do a rebuild.

The impression others have is that of a borderline playoff team with a lower than average prospect pool. That is usually a recipe for mediocrity.

Before our miracle run this was the common belief on these boards too.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think we're a wild card team again this year who might challenge Detroit and Montreal for 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic.

I think that I agree with this.Given how young the Sens are, I wouldn't be shocked if they just miss. I wouldn't be shocked if they challenge for 2nd in the division either. Such a young team, hard to predict. Anderson needs to be hot, Stone and Hoffman can't have Sophomore slumps. THe defense needs to improve.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Care to provide some examples of media outlets who are being mean to the hockey team you like?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The entire reason we signed Phillips to that contract was so that the organization would never have a shortage of taps again. He's got dozens of them. Heck, he's probably got a box of them in his trunk right now.

To say we're "tapped out" is ridiculous.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
Care to provide some examples of media outlets who are being mean to the hockey team you like?

NHL Network Radio (SiriusXM). More than one analyst has them ranked 23rd or 24th in the league. They admired the wild run at the end of the season, but doubt it's indicative of the team's talent, and feel that they'll regress. One of the "analysts" had Calgary ranked 3rd somehow. Didn't show too much love for the Habs either, ranking them 10th or 11th.

I think Sens will have a better early season and will be more consistent throughout the season. I see them as a strong Wildcard contender.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
I think the Sens need to battle for the 2nd-3rd in the Atlantic as wild card spots will be hard to get. The Metro will make it hard for them.

With all the sources out there, I'm not surprised that any of them are predicting a better result for the Sens than a wild card spot.

1. TB
2. Mtl
3. Sens
4. Det (out)
5. Flo (out)
6. Bos (out)
7. Buf (out)
8. Tor (out)

1. NYR
2. Was
3. Pit
4. NYI (in)
5. Col (in)
6. Phi (out)
7. Car (out)
8.NJ (out)

I think it's going to be a tough battle between the Sens, Det and Flo for that 3rd spot in the Atlantic but the Metro will get away with bot wild cards.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
NHL Network Radio (SiriusXM). More than one analyst has them ranked 23rd or 24th in the league. They admired the wild run at the end of the season, but doubt it's indicative of the team's talent, and feel that they'll regress. One of the "analysts" had Calgary ranked 3rd somehow. Didn't show too much love for the Habs either, ranking them 10th or 11th.

I think Sens will have a better early season and will be more consistent throughout the season. I see them as a strong Wildcard contender.

Who gives a flying **** what analysts think? Seriously? They can't predict **** when it comes to hockey.

The fact that one of them had Calgary ranked 3rd tells you all you need to know about these apparent analysts. Calgary is getting way too much love. Reminds of the attention the Sens got after the 2012-2013 season honestly.

They want to talk about regression, well Calgary is at the very top of the list when it comes to regressions. Just look at all their 3rd period comebacks and what not. They most likely won't be able to do it again. They are no longer going to surprise teams.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Sens could fall into that good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to go far type of team. One of Turris or Zibanejad have to become the go to top center. None of this #1 center by default crap either. Ryan needs to be the star veteran forward we need with Stone and Hoffman solidifying the other wings. If Stone becomes that player then Ryan will no doubt turn into the whipping boy because of the contract he has.

hope Ceci turns into the top 3 Dman we need.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Who gives a flying **** what analysts think? Seriously? They can't predict **** when it comes to hockey. This is the cold honest truth.

The fact that one of them had Calgary ranked 3rd tells you all you need to know about these apparent analysts. Calgary is getting way too much love. Reminds of the attention the Sens got after the 2012-2013 season honestly.

They want to talk about regression, well Calgary is at the very top of the list when it comes to regressions. Just look at all their 3rd period comebacks and what not. They most likely won't be able to do it again. They are no longer going to surprise teams.
Calgary has one of the best coaches in the league and the system they play is air tight for the caliber of players they have.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Most of are good prospects have some NNHL experience but there is not much coming up.

I think it's fair to say that the window is starting to open. This is why we need to make a big spash (a trade or a big UFA signing) within the next two years.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
Who gives a flying **** what analysts think? Seriously? They can't predict **** when it comes to hockey.

I don't disagree. Calgary at third is crazy. (Hence the quotation marks around "analyst" and the "somehow") They're not a bad team, but THIRD, when sens are ranked 23rd?

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As things stand and with what we know this team is a bubble team at best

We are set up front and have two rather huge question mark on the backend: Cowen and Hammond. If both are dependable I like this team chances of making the playoffs, if not I don't think they make it unless a trade or something unforseen takes places.

My biggest worries lie with Florida and especially Columbus: I think both of them are better than Ottawa and that could pushe us out of the playoffs.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

We are set up front and have two rather huge question mark on the backend: Cowen and Hammond. If both are dependable I like this team chances of making the playoffs, if not I don't think they make it unless a trade or something unforseen takes places.

My biggest worries lie with Florida and especially Columbus: I think both of them are better than Ottawa and that could pushe us out of the playoffs.

Florida is probably better defensively, but they are not better offensively.

And i don't see their offense improving that much next season.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

How many games do you expect Hammond to start? My guess would be 20-25 games. Cowen will probably average 17 minutes per game.

I think the most uncertainty is with the forwards, can we count on our young players (Stone, Hoffman, Zib) to be consistent over the whole season? I have faith but if 2/3 struggle then I think we'll have a very tough time scoring goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad