OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Dear friends and Pens board visitors--

tumblr_ox79mmBEzz1w1y15so2_500.gifv

Welcome back to the semi-annual, quasi-reliable, factually-insubstantial "What are you listening to thread!" The only thread, where we annoy each other with real, actual, completely non-factual conversations about who was the best Sabbath singer (Ozzy), who was the best Floyd songwriter (Barrett), and who sang the best Bob Dylan cover (clearly Emmylou Harris!).

A couple of ground rules:

1) Don't be a dick about what is or isn't music. It's all music. It's also all trash. It's great!

2) Don't be a jerk to other posters. Here in this thread, it's one love. Good natured ribbing? A-ok.

3) Don't ask @ColePens to post anything here about Chainsmokers.

4) Just post, OP. Post your band. Post your favorite new jam. Post something weird you found online yesterday morning in a drunken haze. Just poast.

And also, more importantly, talk to your fellow people of dubious taste about all things music, making music, or music industry related here!

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
@Empoleon8771 I listened to Imploding the Mirage while out running yesterday. Solid album but holy shit does it lean in to 80s classic riffs.

I had big flashbacks to Springsteen, U2, Duran Duran, and Talking Heads during the intro and meat of a lot of these tunes. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy it. Flowers is really leaning in to nostalgia in this one, though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’ve got to say, the Murder City Devils really did. put on one of the top 20 live shows I’ve ever seen.

And I’ve seen a shit ton.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like the fact I can come in here and find new material to pull from. I do need to go through the last of the previous thread. Been busy for a couple months.

Lately been listening to Crobot.

Reactions: radapex

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
A basic piano can get me every time. I think it's very basic song. The premise of the song is just like a standard hollywood action film. Nothing special but it hits the spot. It's like a poor man's "Paris".

Why did you have to bring "Montreal" into this?:laugh:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I've been listening to Ben Folds a lot recently. My wife hates him though even though she loves Billy Joel, and I try to upsell Ben Folds as a slightly more punk version of Billy Joel. She ain't buying it.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've been listening to Ben Folds a lot recently. My wife hates him though even though she loves Billy Joel, and I try to upsell Ben Folds as a slightly more punk version of Billy Joel. She ain't buying it.
Yeah I can't get in to Ben Folds either and I like Billy Joel.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Do you love Phil Collins, but feel like his big hit "In the Air Tonight" isn't creepy or menacing enough? Do you like songs that make you feel like you're getting the bends in Atlantis while on a ketamine bender? Yes? Well, have I got the perfect track for you!

For maximum internet jukebox f***ery, pair it as part of a 1-2 punch with this:

Almost 15 minutes of slow, throbbing, woozy, blues that makes you feel like you got concussed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@HandshakeLine this had better live up to my expectations now.

Also, I only know a few of their songs, but MCD always sounded like the sort of band who'd be great live.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
@HandshakeLine this had better live up to my expectations now.

Also, I only know a few of their songs, but MCD always sounded like the sort of band who'd be great live.

To be fair, I saw them in 2003ish. They're ... not young anymore, and I never caught their reunion shows, so I dunno. :laugh: :dunno: There's always the chance that they were just ON that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad