The Score Ranks Chevy 8th out of 31 NHL GM's

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I have to respectfully disagree.

If you are responding to my post.
We average 85 points a year give or take.
There's been no improvement in the standings.
What do you disagree with ?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why don't they just rank the GMs based on the team's winning percentage? That'd be simpler than trying to analyze past development and future prospects

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Why don't they just rank the GMs based on the team's winning percentage? That'd be simpler than trying to analyze past development and future prospects

Because that's unfair to all the rebuilding teams. You can't say they're crap GM's just because their team is in a rebuild, makes so sense.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
2 way street.

That doesn't mean that Chevy shouldn't rank 8th but my guess would be closer to the middle of the pack.

In my (not)expert opinion, there isn't much separating 19th from 8th. They seem to put a lot of onus on building the farm, prospects, and contracts paid out, and comparatively less on winning cups. That's the only way I see Lombardi at 19th.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He would have placed higher if not for the team being horrible.

You don't think he bears even a teeny tiny bit of responsibility for the team being terrible? Did the league force him to have Pavs as a starter for years?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

because you're essentially evaluating what the current GM inherited from his predecessor, who was clearly fired for a reason.

use Mark Scheifele as a measureing stick. drafted, 2 years in jr, 1 year in the NHL to develop, and 1 year to really see how good he is. year 5 is where we expect him to shine.

so that's 1 draft year. 12 forwards, 6 D, 1 starting goalie.

you have to cycle through those players to see what a GM's about.

so you can argue that Chevy in his first 3 years was just tweaking the Atlanta line-up.
(but you can argue that 2015-16 was the most Chevy of line-ups and we ended up with the 2nd overall pick, so perhaps things aren't trending up).

if the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, i do think that Chevy should be dismissed.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
because you're essentially evaluating what the current GM inherited from his predecessor, who was clearly fired for a reason.

use Mark Scheifele as a measureing stick. drafted, 2 years in jr, 1 year in the NHL to develop, and 1 year to really see how good he is. year 5 is where we expect him to shine.

so you can argue that Chevy in his first 3 years was just tweaking the Atlanta line-up.
(but you can argue that 2015-16 was the most Chevy of line-ups and we ended up with the 2nd overall pick, so perhaps things aren't trending up).

if the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, i do think that Chevy should be dismissed.

Nice summary, agree BUT Chevy will not be dismissed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Sticking with Scheifele as the measuring stick, you can really only start expecting your drafted players to start carrying the load 4-6 years after they are drafted. I see Scheif as the front edge of this young core with a lot of nice shiny pieces. I don't see the playoffs as a must this season, but rather are the young players trending the right way? Are they taking over key roles and starting to excel in them like we saw with Scheif last season. If we are an exciting young team in the hunt to the end but fall short I see us building on that as more of the talented young players come on board pushing out the fading vets.

IMO the final judgement on Chevy work and TNSE's plan will be 2-3 years down the road as more and more of their drafted players start entering their prime years. And just as importantly can Chevy make the transition from building a talented prospect base to putting the final pieces on a contending team? IMO at some point Chevy needs to convert excess in areas of strength to filling in areas of need. While at the same time locking up the best of the young core through their primes. I for one I'm quite excited how the next phase of this team's evolution plays out.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Atl

Because that's unfair to all the rebuilding teams. You can't say they're crap GM's just because their team is in a rebuild, makes so sense.

Most Jet fans in year one were really happy with the Alt core we got. Hire an unemployed Hitch year one you get a totally different outcome. But no he hired Noel who has been pretty much laughed out of the league.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I like this comment a lot.
It's a balanced level response.
Although I'm not Chevy's biggest fan your comment IF we continue upwards is on the mark.
This year must at show signs of some improvement or development otherwise we have just spun our tires for the last 5 seasons.
His grade is incomplete as far as I am concerned.

Agree we must show improvements, but I believe last season I already started seeing these improvements. W

ins and losses will ultimately be what Chevy is graded on, but even if we have a sub .500 season this year, IMO our ceiling for growth is has never been better. How long it takes to get all key pieces to hit their ceiling will determine when the wins outweigh the losses. But there is a night and day aspect to the increase in talent Chevy has amassed since taking over.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Its not that black and white. What if they miss the play-offs by 1 point?

Chevy's acquired players have to contribute a lot more this year and the team has to start climbing in the standings. We have to be able to start checking off problems as having been solved. Not simply a possible solution on the horizon but actually solved. It appears that bottom 6 depth will have been solved and the same goes for goaltending but the results are not in yet.

If those things don't happen then Chevy's rating will tumble and it might be time to start thinking of a change. OTOH if things turn out the way they seem to be developing he will earn that high rating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad