The Score Ranks Chevy 8th out of 31 NHL GM's

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The score has ranked Chevy 8th out of 31 GM's (counting Vegas).

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064619-ranking-the-31-nhl-general-managers

After only five seasons of existence, the Jets have built up perhaps the league's best farm. Kevin Cheveldayoff has also brokered club-friendly extensions with his three most important non-entry-level assets. And he owns a clean book, which is paramount to a team working on an internal budget.

Because you just can't have enough Chevy discussions in mid summer ;)

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Gotta say, when it comes to rebuilding and contract management, Chevy has really outdone himself. We really shouldnt be too surprised, he learned under Chicagos GM. Now Let's see how he holds up against the next challenge. He's shown he can build a playoff team, can he maintain a playoff team? Either way he's done superb thus far.

I have to wonder though, how the vegas manager is ranked that high when he hasn't done anything yet...

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Just for the sake of consistency, the general consensus is that The Score has terrible analysis right?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Just for the sake of consistency, the general consensus is that The Score has terrible analysis right?

It appears that way, for me. I take good and bad with a grain of salt when it comes from them - if I'm going to pan their poor articles, then I'm not about to jump up and down with joy over other articles that pander to my fandom.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It appears that way, for me. I take good and bad with a grain of salt when it comes from them - if I'm going to pan their poor articles, then I'm not about to jump up and down with joy over other articles that pander to my fandom.

Bingo.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Las Vegas is ranked.

Las Vegas. Is. Ranked.

My cat ranks Chevy 25th out of 32, should he be fired?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Only if you're paying him. Otherwise, just let your cat rank whatever he wants.

I'm giving her milk for every ranking she makes. That counts, right?

btw, best defenseman in the league is a guy called Tyson Strachan.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

I agree. Some of their rankings and writeups for this article seem a bit contrived. I mean, Chevy is not as bad as other GMs, but I don't know if I would put him in the top 10. That's a high mark for someone who has yet to deliver a playoff victory to us.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i looked to see who was 31 and used that as a litmus test.
you can't argue with their bottom 5. maybe Edmonton being so low's a bit cruel, but you can't disagree that Chiarelli hasn't fixed the D overly well, so it isn't that far off.

can't argue with their top 5 either.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Agreed about Edmonton. So far, all he's done is overpay for defense (a 1st+2nd for Reinhart and Hall for Larsson), but Larsson and Sekera are their only proven two top 4 D. Maybe Nurse will be better when he isn't encumbered with a top pairing role, and Klefbom becomes better than last year, but eh. That Reinhart trade was pretty bad, though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
i looked to see who was 31 and used that as a litmus test.
you can't argue with their bottom 5. maybe Edmonton being so low's a bit cruel, but you can't disagree that Chiarelli hasn't fixed the D overly well, so it isn't that far off.

can't argue with their top 5 either.

While the analysis is not the most in depth and I would have excluded Vegas I thought the overall ranking was pretty fair. It looks like Chevy is at least getting some acknowledgement that he has positioned the Jets well. We have a very talented group of young players with more on the farm. Our best vets are signed to team friendly contracts. We have no long term albatross contracts limiting the future and we have the cap space and flexibility to sign our own as they come off their ELC's.

But ultimately in is a results based business and Chevy should and will get judged on how this team he has assembled progresses. Are we sitting on a contender in the making or a shimmering mirage? At minimum IMO we should at least move into the playoff discussion this year on talent alone. On some nights our inexperience will show but the talent will also shine through at times. From there this team needs to take a noticeable step forward with each passing season. Again IMO if in 18-19 we have entered the ranks of the top handful of contenders Chevy will have done his job.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree.... and you what's fun to say over and over?

Pander to my fandom.
Pander to my fandom.
Pander to my fandom.

:laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Chevy is a rock solid GM, imo

Glad to see he is slowly getting recognition...hopefully he keeps getting more, if the Jets keep trending upwards.

I like this comment a lot.
It's a balanced level response.
Although I'm not Chevy's biggest fan your comment IF we continue upwards is on the mark.
This year must at show signs of some improvement or development otherwise we have just spun our tires for the last 5 seasons.
His grade is incomplete as far as I am concerned.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
one sentence write ups for most of these... yep that passes for analysis these days.

nill ahead of chevy. i find that funny for not obvious reasons.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ron Hextall (21st) seems really low even just considering the terrible contracts he's been able to wiggle out from under - not to mention the solid drafting. And 19 seems ridiculously low for Lombardi - who's won 2 Cups in the last 5 years. Yet Doug Armstrong gets into 10th spot apparently because the Blues have the most wins in the league in the last 5 years? Hmmm...

Chevy at 8 makes sense if you expect our prospects to live up to their billings, but it's all based on expectations right now, rather than on-ice success.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I could stomach if Hextall and Chevy were swapped. Not much difference between everyone that's not top five or bottom five.

The Score may not be the best spot for league wide analysis (they do have some very good writers tho) but I don't think they are the only spot that would put Chevy top ten.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

2 way street.

That doesn't mean that Chevy shouldn't rank 8th but my guess would be closer to the middle of the pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad