The San Jose Sharks are horror-bad

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I know he doesn't have much left to prove there, and he's playing as well as could be expected with what he has around him, but man I'd get Eklund out of there and back to the AHL or something. Just a terrible environment to kill a young kids confidence.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I know he doesn't have much left to prove there, and he's playing as well as could be expected with what he has around him, but man I'd get Eklund out of there and back to the AHL or something. Just a terrible environment to kill a young kids confidence.
Anaheim looks good this year and that’s what everyone said about their young guys last year.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
David Quinn is a real problem...
He is probably the worst coach in NHL history at developing talent.
Nobody progressed from his first year to his second year under his tutelage.

Mike Grier probably hired him... because he wants to get low picks for the foreseeable future. But he is a cancer around young NHL talent. This isn't college hockey. He is out of his depth.

People are going to say... "Look at the roster... what do you expect?".... Lame excuse.... These are still NHLers... The NHL is a game of parity... People can't and don't play for him.

Keep Eklund, Bordeleau & Will Smith as far away form Quinn as possible.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
David Quinn is a real problem...
He is probably the worst coach in NHL history at developing talent.
Nobody progressed from his first year to his second year under his tutelage.

Mike Grier probably hired him... because he wants to get low picks for the foreseeable future. But he is a cancer around young NHL talent. This isn't college hockey. He is out of his depth.

People are going to say... "Look at the roster... what do you expect?".... Lame excuse.... These are still NHLers... The NHL is a game of parity... People can't and don't play for him.

Keep Eklund, Bordeleau & Will Smith as far away form Quinn as possible.
That's legitimately one of the most delusionnal posts I've seen on this board, and I've been here for nearly 18 years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Grier needed to gut that roster by moving their valued vets to hoard picks and prospects, makes the awful start feel like there's some light at the end of the tunnel for talent in the pipeline.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s ok, Mack is one the way. Bay Area connection - Mack Cebrini’s dad Rick was Sports Medicine Director for Golden State.

Will Smith is an exceptional talent and guys like Eklund and Bordeleau are skilled but the Sharks are missing that explosive, all-around center to be the focal point of the rebuild. Hoping they get that next summer.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Disagree. He’s had more than enough time in the AHL and he been a bright spot so far this year.

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Did they not finish 3rd last just last season?

And they traded away their >100pts franchise defenseman, as well as a near ppg, 30 goals scorer winger.

Couture being injured is their debatably 1st or 2nd C being out too.

They didnt bring in anyone of value to replace those guys.

Qnd based on toi this year, Kyle Burroughs is 3rd behind Ferraro (lol) and Hertl... and Burroughs was a healthy scratch on Vancouver's terrible defense last year.

Their 2nd forward in toi is Granlund.

Yes, it could very well be a historically bad seeason for them

Reactions: Oddbob and BHD

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
9 games into the season and their second-leading scorer has 3 points. This might be the worst team we've seen in the cap era.

• Wow
Reactions: BHD

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
As they get healthier up front, they may want to find a good home for Blackwood. Nothing kills a good tank like a goalie who is comfortable all on his own facing 45+ shots a night. They're going to win some unwanted 1-0 and 2-1 games with him backstopping them.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
1OA

Calling it here and now.
NHL player: "I worked so hard, honing my skills, staying after practice, watching video, meeting with coaches, doing my due diligence. Then it all paid off, and I got drafted #1 OA!"

NHL Tank Team: " We worked so hard, cutting corners, turning a blind eye to talent, going home early on Fridays, deleting relevent video...you know, not doing our due diligence. And then we got screwed by picking 10th OA!"

• Love
Reactions: GoldenSeal

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Worst forward core in the league not even close especially with the Couture , Barabanov and Grandland injuries .
Highly debatable...

:sharks

Logan Couture
Tomas Hertl
Alex Barabanov
Kevin Labanc
Anthony Duclair
Mike Hoffman
Nico Sturm
Filip Zadina
Fabian Zetterlund
William Eklund
Luke Kunin
Mikael Granlund

:hawks
Connor Bedard
Lukas Reichel
Nick Foligno
Corey Perry
Tyler Johnson
Andreas Athanasiou
Philip Kurashev
Ryan Donato
Taylor Raddysh
Boris Katchouk
Jason Dickinson
Taylor Hall

I'd say coaching would be the most significant difference. The Hawks play like they remotely care, Sharks look like a dumpster fire.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's why I didn't understand Grier not wanting to retain any salary on Karlsson.

I understand that he achieved his goal but why not retain the max and stock up on as many draft picks/prospects/players as possible?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
solid 9 goals for, 35 against...

Turns out that if a team whose entire offense is carried by Karlsson loses Karlsson, their offense completely dies out.
Which makes the PITT trade that much better for the Sharks IMO. Better to move Karlsson for $.50 on the dollar and start over immediately than have him single handedly keep the Sharks from being terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad