The Retro Gaming Thread

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
@Jovavic @Commander Clueless

I'm right there with you guys, back in the C64 glory days. That and then I think I got a 286 or 386 and cycled between Commodore and Windows based games. Was never a console gamer.

Dune II
Warcraft II
Duke Nukem 3D (used to play in our computer lab on Silicon Graphics machines)
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Quake
C&C Red Alert
Defender of the Crown
Lords of the Realm II
Winter Olympics
Summer Olympics
Caveman Ugh-lympics
Agent USA
D&D Pools of Radiance
D&D Curse of the Azure Bonds
Bard's Tale
Zork
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Pole Position
King's Quest (a bunch of 'em!)
Wasteland
Maniac Mansion
Zak McCraken and the Alien Mindbenders

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
Arcade games:
Black Tiger------ a game I could finish
Gauntlet- parts 1 and 2- Elf with fast feet was a hoot, all the food laying around was yours', since you always got to it first.
Tetris
Columns
Bubble Bobble----- cheat code fast feet and rapid shot, no matter how many times you died
Mappy-------only saw one score higher than my best.

NES
Nobunga's(sp) Ambition
Shadow gate
SNES
PTO Pacific Theater Of Operations- a fantastic world war 2 game

Computer games:
Age of Empires
and way way back a game that used cassette tape on an old TRS(Radio Shack) about exploring a pyramid.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I picked up the Mega Man Battle Network collection on Steam, never played these games but they always looked cool to me. I'll be playing the first one soon

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The only thing I remember about Mega Man games when I was a kid were that they were f***ing HARD.
1 is VERY hard. 2 is hard on the difficult setting but it's so good that it's worth completing. 3-6 aren't very hard IMO but the only easy one is 3.

When they rebooted the franchise with 9...9 was hard. Our reflexes are shit now compared to when we were kids.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Metal Gear
Street fighter EX + Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tecmo Super Bowl
NHL 94
OutRun
dragon's lair
Bc Quest for Tires
Frostbite
Blaster Master
Strider
OutZone
Top Gun
After Burner
Slaughter House

Anybody ever play Nabu Network? First home internet in 82-85. We had this for 3 months for 20 dollars to try it out. Had so many games built in and was a head of its time. I remember Miner 2049, Antarctica, Tanks, Q-bert, BC quest for Tires. Fun times.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Metal Gear
Street fighter EX + Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tecmo Super Bowl
NHL 94
OutRun
dragon's lair
Bc Quest for Tires
Frostbite
Blaster Master
Strider
OutZone
Top Gun
After Burner
Slaughter House

Anybody ever play Nabu Network? First home internet in 82-85. We had this for 3 months for 20 dollars to try it out. Had so many games built in and was a head of its time. I remember Miner 2049, Antarctica, Tanks, Q-bert, BC quest for Tires. Fun times.
Is that the Top Gun PS1 game you're talking about? I remember having the demo as a kid and being obsessed

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
In no order

Perfect dark n64
Golden eyes
Wwf wrestlemania 2000
Wwf here comes the pain
Résident evil 4
The nhl series
Nhl 2000(when we where fibally able to play more than 1 season)
Gta
Killing floor 2

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Anyone know if Baldur’s Gate is worth going back to?
Why wouldn't it be? Not to discount technological advancements, but some genre's of games were perfectly fine on older tech, with the late 90's being perfectly adequate for isometric CRPG's. While series like Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity are much more recent, if you haven't played any of the games original Baldur's Gate 2 still probably remains the best of them.

Really the big question is whether to play BG1 or go straight to BG2, and which version to get. I haven't looked at it myself but sometimes the 'remastered' version that you'll find on Steam isn't as good as getting the original on GoG and adding some mods.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

If you only have time for one, I'd go with Baldur's Gate 2.

I've played it through a bunch of times (including with a solo Cleric/Wizard and a mod that helps with level caps that was actually pretty fun).

But the original, as well as Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 hold up pretty well.

I personally am more familiar with the D&D rulesets they used back then too.

RandV said:
Really the big question is whether to play BG1 or go straight to BG2, and which version to get. I haven't looked at it myself but sometimes the 'remastered' version that you'll find on Steam isn't as good as getting the original on GoG and adding some mods.

I've played the "remastered" versions where they add a few NPCs (particularly evil NPCs) to balance out your party a bit. I didn't mind the extra characters but I don't think it makes or breaks the game.

Some of the mods are quite useful in terms of grouping items together and allowing you to play all the stronghold quests in one playthrough instead of just the single one that matches your primary character class.

Reactions: Byron Bitz

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
In no order

Perfect dark n64
Golden eyes
Wwf wrestlemania 2000
Wwf here comes the pain
Résident evil 4
The nhl series
Nhl 2000(when we where fibally able to play more than 1 season)
Gta
Killing floor 2
You prefer those wrestling games over No Mercy?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Best Retro Games (not sure where the cut off is):

C64:
-Ultima II, III, IV, V
-D&D Goldbox Series: (e.g. Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds etc.)
-Summer Games, Summer Games II, Winter Games
-Impossible Mission
-Sid Meier's Pirates!
-Seven Cities of Gold
-Racing Construction Set
-M.U.L.E.
-Superstar Ice Hockey (Mindscape)
-One on One - Dr. J vs. Larry Bird
-Street Sports (baseball, basketball)
-Wasteland
-Bard's Tale I, II and III
-Football Manager 2
-Maniac Mansion
-Last Ninja II
-Sword of Fargoal

PC:
-Wing Commander I and II
-SimCity 2000
-Civilization, Civilization II
-Deus Ex
-Ultima VII (Black Gate and Serpent Isle)
-Fallout and Fallout 2
-Mech Warrior, Mech Warrior II
-Sierra Quest Games (King's, Quest for Glory, Police, Leisure Suit Larry)
-NHL 93
-Castle Wolfenstein
-Doom, Doom 2
-Heroes of Might and Magic III and IV
-Master of Orion I and II
-Master of Magic
-Red Baron
-Wizardry VIII
-Half Life
-Command and Conquer - Red Alert
-Warcraft and Warcraft II
-Baldur's Gate I and II
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Dune 2

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
After obsessively completing most of the extras in Tactics Ogre Reborn, I just want to say that the scope, scale, and tastefulness of Tactics Ogre's storytelling is the single most impressive thing I've come across in a retro game, factoring in age as a consideration, personally (I'm aware of the differences between versions).

There are gameplay warts to the 1995 SNES version that are tough to play through, so I wouldn't recommend playing it over the remasters, but god damn, that storytelling is lightyears more thoughtful, deep. and multi-dimensional than the very best that things like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, or Earthbound ever did, in my opinion (might not be apparent after a single route to credits, but after doing extras/alternate paths, at least).

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I remember renting Ogre Battle a bunch of times growing up. Spending 5 bucks to rent it for a week instead of 70 bucks to own it was the only choice teenager me had lol. I never played Tactics Ogre, was it for PS1?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I remember renting Ogre Battle a bunch of times growing up. Spending 5 bucks to rent it for a week instead of 70 bucks to own it was the only choice teenager me had lol. I never played Tactics Ogre, was it for PS1?
On SNES it was a Japanese release only, but it got an english release on the PS1 - which I played back in the day and still owned. And of course it's had some re-releases later, most recently one you can get on Steam and probably other digital platforms.

If you played Final Fantasy Tactics, you'll have an idea what Tactics Ogre is as FFT more or less copied it. Except TO is a sequel to Ogre Battle so you have units and characters showing up from there. Biggest difference is at the end of each chapter (I think there's 4 or 5?) you are forced to make a decision, that's easiest to describe as very 'Game of Thrones-ish', which will shake up the direction the story takes and the story characters you get to have.

Also second the nostalgia for only being able to rent games and not own, so getting games like RPG's which you don't actually have time to finish before you need to return it. I don't think this is necessarily a good thing, but it really contributed to Shining Force being my #1 nostalgia game.

Reactions: Jovavic

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Sony just put Twisted Metal 1 and 2 on PSNow. One of the few times I've actually been excited to see additions to their Classic Catalog.

Replaying this really reminds you how intensely clunky these games were, especially the first one... They're very early PS1 games, so it's to be expected, but man it's actually a tough game. I'm going to beat the first game with a few of my favorite characters and then move on to the 2nd.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
An older game that I’ve spent way too much time playing: Shining Force (first and second one). If y’all like the strategy games (like fire emblem), go get this now. It’s in the Sega pack on Switch.
SF is the only series, imo, that never jumped the shark. It is what it is and if you like it it never disappoints.

SF2 is the obvious best of the series, SFCD is just straight up combat, and the saturn trilogy takes the best from the previous two and places an epic story in between.

Highly recommended

Yes 100%

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad