Confirmed with Link: The Red Wings have signed center Emmitt Finnie to a three-year, entry-level contract beginning with the 2024-25 season

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I just looked it up, supplemental income withholding rate is currently only 22%, which is lower than the tax bracket I'm in. The company paid for my relocation as well so my tax return was pretty messed up, lol.

22% tax bracket is $45k - 95k, so probably wouldn't make much difference to Finnie either, except he'll get a bigger return.

Your company is a good one in that regard. I'm guessing yours came in a separate check to your regular pay thus the 22%. NHL probably pays it out that way too now that I think about it. Still not wise for him to buy a new car though. ;)
I'm sure Zach can afford a better SUV with his NHL salary.

Zach can now afford a heavily depreciated Bentley Bentayga

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
this thread will come in very handy when I sign my NHL ELC one of these days and am looking to buy a new car with the signing bonus

You don't have to be a pro athlete to get a signing bonus, especially right now with labor shortages in certain fields. For example, my company is offering $1k signing bonus for CNC machinists. My friend's fiancee got $50k signing bonus as a veternarian. Just a pet vet, not even farm animals. Huge shortage of dermatologists in my county as well, they're booked 2 months out. Same with dentists, physicians, etc.

I just happened to be in a high demand field at the right time, I doubt I get another signing bonus.... ever. That's the way technology goes.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Junior players turning part of their signing bonus into a new car/truck has been a tradition, at least in Canada, for decades. Perhaps not quite as common now with hockey becoming less affordable and a higher percentage of 18-20yo elite players already either having their own vehicle or use of one of their family's two or three. Still, a new Bronco is a new Bronco and helps differentiate in the reserved section of the arena parking lot the very few on most CHL teams heading for a pro career and the very many who will use their earned college funding to go to a Canadian university.

Reactions: Gniwder

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Might be a slight exaggeration but I know Sabres fan seem to think he's one of their best defensive player almost every game. He has been on their 2nd or 3rd line for most of the season despite not having the best offensive numbers because he is just that good defensively at 18 years old. Very admirable player with many flashes of elite talent. I do agree with the size + speed concerns when it comes to his game but I think he'll overcome those very easily becuase of his intelligence. But I can see why the wings prefer to go a different route with players like Danielson who are also mature, responsible and good defensively but also play center with faster skating and better size to go along with it. Oh and probably a better wrist shot too. All in all, the 2023 draft was insane imo and so many players will end up being great nhlers and that includes both Benson and Danielson.

Finnie also fits what the wings are looking for, tools-wise. I'm happy for him and hope he succeeds!
He’s 13th in TOI for PK. He’s nowhere near their best defensive player, despite what some homers feel.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I just looked it up, supplemental income withholding rate is currently only 22%, which is lower than the tax bracket I'm in. The company paid for my relocation as well so my tax return was pretty messed up, lol.

22% tax bracket is $45k - 95k, so probably wouldn't make much difference to Finnie either, except he'll get a bigger return.
It’s a shame that so many Americans don’t know how tax brackets work.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
He’s 13th in TOI for PK. He’s nowhere near their best defensive player, despite what some homers feel.
Watched a few Sabres and I think he's one of their best defensive player (I'd argue best, but whatever). He has nowhere near 2nd line production yet has seen quite a few games there. It can only be explained because of his defensive game. Can't explain his low TOI for the PK tho.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It’s a shame that so many Americans don’t know how tax brackets work.

The people that don't get it are in lower brackets anyways. I'm only in the 24%. The big jump is at 32%, but there's a max on SS tax @$160,200, so that offsets some of it. I've only hit that one year.

Last edited:

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
The people that don't get it are in lower brackets anyways. I'm only in the 24%. The big jump is at 32%, but there's a max on SS tax @$160,200, so that offsets some of it. I've only hit that one year.
That’s the thing, there’s no big jump from 31% to 32%. It’s marginal.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Wow, this really is notable, regardless of how this prospect turns out. Wings must really like this kid. I know he's having a nice season, and that's certainly great, but how often do 7th-round picks get signed 9 months after their draft, and 2.5 years before they must be signed to retain their rights?

I don't think being signed like this tells us what the Wings think of his ceiling necessarily, but to me they are signaling that they think very highly of his floor.

Edit: He also signed for the max dollar amount, 950K, the same as Danielson. Did they mix him up with Sandin-Pellika or something?

This is exactly what I was going to post, minus the ASP comment and fancy grammar.

• Love
Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Edit: He also signed for the max dollar amount, 950K, the same as Danielson. Did they mix him up with Sandin-Pellika or something?
He doesn't get the money unless he plays in the NHL, and the min salary goes up to $800k in 25/26 season. Any kid on an ELC is a bargain when it comes to the salary cap, what's $150k when the team is wasting $5.6M on Copp?

Mazur with protein.
Mazur with muscle

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He doesn't get the money unless he plays in the NHL, and the min salary goes up to $800k in 25/26 season. Any kid on an ELC is a bargain when it comes to the salary cap, what's $150k when the team is wasting $5.6M on Copp?
Regardless of how much money these kids see from these first contracts, teams usually do scale them largely based on how high the kid was picked. I can’t think of a case where a 7th rounder got the max contract (or anywhere close) from Detroit, especially one signed so soon after the draft.

Mazur with muscle
“Protein” is better :nod:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Regardless of how much money these kids see from these first contracts, teams usually do scale them largely based on how high the kid was picked. I can’t think of a case where a 7th rounder got the max contract (or anywhere close) from Detroit, especially one signed so soon after the draft.
That may be true, but zero risk with 2 way contracts, especially with ELCs. Worst case salary cap scenario is that they get a 4th liner for $845k which is still cheap. Worst case financial scenario is he busts and plays in GR for $152k. We're arguing pennies in the bigger scheme.

“Protein” is better :nod:
uh no. just no.

"Mazur with mass", "manlier Mazur", but I went with "Mazur with muscle" because it was closest in theme with Helm with hands. Protein isn't even an alliteration, just concede defeat. I mean, what the hell is that supposed to mean anyways? This?

rocky-sylvester-stallone.gif

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That may be true, but zero risk with 2 way contracts, especially with ELCs. Worst case salary cap scenario is that they get a 4th liner for $845k which is still cheap. Worst case financial scenario is he busts and plays in GR for $152k. We're arguing pennies in the bigger scheme.
I'm not worried about risk or cap implications either. It was simply a point about how much the Wings apparently think of this kid. But, as it turns out, the initial report that said he was getting the max 950K was incorrect. He's getting 845K. Which, now that I think about it, I think is pretty set in stone. I think the amount may be directly tied to draft position, with the only wiggle room being potential bonuses. Anyway....

uh no. just no.

"Mazur with mass", "manlier Mazur", but I went with "Mazur with muscle" because it was closest in theme with Helm with hands. Protein isn't even an alliteration, just concede defeat. I mean, what the hell is that supposed to mean anyways? This?

rocky-sylvester-stallone.gif
Mazur with protein.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad